• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HPS or MH for full grown plants??

Hi guys, I will be growing my plants indoors once it starts getting cold outside here in Wa. I have a 600W set up and both HPS and MH bulbs. This will be my first indoor attempt at growing chilis all winter so it will be interesting and I could use some advise on which type of bulb is better to use and how long the light should be left on. Also has anybody ever taken a full grown chili plant from soil and put it in hydro? If so how did that work out for you? Thanks for you help in advance!

I used MH for the vegetative stage and used an 18/6 schedule. Once they started flowering I switched to HPS and switched to a 12/12 schedule.

Hey Laz. I sure don't know the answer to your question, but I still have lots of plants in pots you can have to experiment on this winter. I will be watching the responses because I was also wondering the same thing.

Hmmmm I could switch bulbs once a week or something but that seems like a real pain in the...... Whatcha got Richard? I am planning on growing trinidad scorp, choc hab, 7 pod, red rocoto and a brazilian star fish for sure. We'll see how it works out.Hopefully fresh pods all winter long!

Or you can stick with HPS for the duration of your grow. It doesnt matter really. The one thing to consider though is that HPS has much more lumen output then MH, for that reason Ild stick with HPS. More effeciency. For example, a 1000w HPS emits 150,000 lumens, a 1000w MH is around 95,000

Heres 9 bhuts (still growing mind you, not fully mature) under a 600w HPS in a grow tent.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks OZZ! Will stick with the HPS. It looks like we have similair set ups lol.

CBGBl.jpg

I use MH all grow. I like short compact internodes. With HPS, the plant gets lanky unless I use paclobutrazol and the lower branches don't get proper light, even with training or a trellis.

Looks like it! Im waiting to hear back on our offer, but we are trying to buy a house that has a stone building out back with 2 20 amp breakers. Its about 8x15' and Im going to load it with two 600's.

Tick, tock, tick, tock ... the suspense is killing me lol.

+1 for HPS, you are growing something that costs a few bucks a pound, not 3,000.. i wouldn't worry about the marginal benefits of MH.

HPS from start to finish, you cant go wrong.
Consider using a couple of CFL for the seedling stage if you want to save some bucks.

Cya

Datil

Hmmmm I could switch bulbs once a week or something but that seems like a real pain in the...... Whatcha got Richard? I am planning on growing trinidad scorp, choc hab, 7 pod, red rocoto and a brazilian star fish for sure. We'll see how it works out.Hopefully fresh pods all winter long!

How about Fatalii, 7Pod Brain, Peach Hab, Douglah, Yellow Bhut Jalokia, Billy Biker and Vaquero Jalapeno,Uba Tuba, Black Pearl? There are more that I can't remember. I will not be able to fit all my potted plants in the greenhouse and it would be nice to see the remaining ones find a new home and continue producing.

If you have some extra Fatalii, 7Pod Brain, & Douglah, I would be happy to give them a new home for the winter :D I'll do my best to take care of your babies lol.

I've used both HPS and MH, since my plants (peppers) eventual make it outside in the spring I prefer to go from my fluorescent lighting to the MH, which causes shorter nodes (many more per plant) , stocky bushier plants, (less need for early staking when outdoors), HPS seems to extend the branching a bit much, last year I found myself bamboo staking the plants as I set them out to harden off, it gets pretty windy in Chicago during the spring and I'd rather not sever any branches.......just my opinion

20110716076-1.jpg

Here's a shot from last winter with some MH lights, light produces a nice tight growth, these plants under the MH are pictured in 2 gal trade containers and still had another moth before setting out....

Wow That is amazing PIC1!! How many watts are those? I dont want to know what your electricity bill looks like lol. I wonder if the cops will ever come and take a look and find out that your only growing peppers :rofl:

Wow That is amazing PIC1!! How many watts are those? I dont want to know what your electricity bill looks like lol. I wonder if the cops will ever come and take a look and find out that your only growing peppers :rofl:

Ha....hmmm.....That's all I'm growing, that is "peppers" of course, all legit, I'm just one of those old "pepper-heads"...I have two grow areas and by April I'm running over 4kw of lite's ....and sure the bill's are high for a couple of months , similar to the summer bills jul/aug but I do distribute plants in the spring which helps off-set the cost.....and keeps the little Mrs. happy....

Oh, and 'buy the weigh' the three reflecters pictured are 400w metal halide...love'em

Back