• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

HPS or MH for full grown plants??

The metal halides are good for overall growth and the high pressure sodium are good for flowering and pod production. They have dimmable ballast that work with both lamp types. I found one on ebay that has a 3 year warranty on the ballast.

There's a lot of very positive feedback from people of "other" crops using the fancy new ceramic MH.

+1 to that.

Ive never seen anyhting come close in terms of overall growth/yield with anything Ive put under them. Phillips Retro-White CMH , runs off any cheapo HPS ballast, cheaper than eyes/agro, and just put off the nicest looking light imo. The spectrum is unreal.

Ive grown everything from SPS corals to pond plants with em...they always give nice tight growth ime.

CMH would explode in popularity if they had larger bulbs imo. ive been to the hydro store and seen people throw down 800 bucks on horti eye bulbs... i was like :shocked: so i dont think cost is an issue at all.

CMH would explode in popularity if they had larger bulbs imo. ive been to the hydro store and seen people throw down 800 bucks on horti eye bulbs... i was like :shocked: so i dont think cost is an issue at all.

When I had my indoor setup all I used was eye-hortilux bulbs. The broad spectrum those lights have are amazing in comparison to what everyone else gives you. Well worth the money in my opinion.

BLUE
mt1000b-dHORhtl-sd-r.gif

Super HPS
lu1000bHTLen-sd-r.jpg

ill defiantly concede that they are better bulbs, but i do not think they are worth 3 times the price of a generic bulb. unless of course you grow cannabis with them.

Would they be if you got 3 times the amount of fruit? For me it would be worth the cost especially if you can get a lb of fruit between 2 plants each week when the cost for 1lb of TS for example is around $20. If you can get that kind of result the bulb pays for itself in a few months.

are you saying you have gotten three times more verses a conventional bulb? if so id be damn suprised, and somewhat skeptical :D (no offense)!

but yea, if you actually yielded three times more they would defiantly be worth it no question. i just dont think they are more than a marginally better bulb.

Ha....hmmm.....That's all I'm growing, that is "peppers" of course, all legit, I'm just one of those old "pepper-heads"...I have two grow areas and by April I'm running over 4kw of lite's ....and sure the bill's are high for a couple of months , similar to the summer bills jul/aug but I do distribute plants in the spring which helps off-set the cost.....and keeps the little Mrs. happy....

Oh, and 'buy the weigh' the three reflecters pictured are 400w metal halide...love'em

hi:) new here with the similar question.
my bells have been on 18/6 with a 400W MH for a month. They are extremely healthy and have compact internodes.
it is time for flowering, the nutrients are changed, but hoping for some insight on what to change with the lighting.
mike:)

My opinion 18/6 MH straight through.
600 watts HPS is supposed to be the most efficient light. You get roughly twice the lumens with HPS but they do stretch alot vs the MH.
With a 400 MH about $12-$15 a month increase. A 250HPS will put out almost as much as a 400MH but the 400 will cover a larger sq area.
Horizontal hung bulb will put out more light than vertical. Notice no difference in cheap bulbs or expensive ones, but a good hood does make a difference.

I use 400MH 18/6 for the final run thru April, I also have 600 HPS but I don't even bother with them anymore. The local grow shop has 1000w HPS in their front window area along with other types of lighting. They're growing tomato plants under it. If they were to use 1000w MH that would be to bright through their tinted windows. I think the tomato plants look stretched out and leggy due to the low color temps of the HPS.
If they were able to use the MH lighting instead their plants would be shorter and stockier, and be flowering to boot...

Greg

Back