• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

HUGE Kohlrabi!

Harvested this sucker about 10 minutes ago and chowed down on some of it. This is the first time I've ever grown or eaten it (wanted to out in LA with DaveReed, but never got the chance). Absolutely love the flavor! It's like a sweet cucumber! Mmmmmm!!! Going to fry up some of the leaves in bacon fat in the future. Have many more this size as well.

kohlrabiharvest.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmm BRAINS!!!!!!!

Looks yummy! Sure the bacon fat won't hurt either. How long did that take from seed?

FiveStar said:
mmmmmmmmmmmm BRAINS!!!!!!!

Looks yummy! Sure the bacon fat won't hurt either. How long did that take from seed?

Oh, probably about 2, 2 and a half months.

EDIT: 50 more posts until 15,000.

They look like fun to grow iggy, where did you get the seeds from?

Hey 50 to go and it's thursday here, you better start whoring it up if you wanna reach 15000 by OUR Friday!!

how do you cook these? i see them the size you've got and larger locally all the time. never thought of trying it though.

Kohlrabi
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Kohlrabi

Kohlrabi stems with leaves removed
Species
Brassica oleracea
Cultivar Group
Gongylodes Group
Cultivar Group members
many; see text
Kohlrabi, raw
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 30 kcal 110 kJ
Carbohydrates 6.2 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Dietary fiber 3.6 g
Fat 0.1 g
Protein 1.7 g
Water 91 g
Vitamin C 62 mg 103%

Percentages are relative to US
recommendations for adults.

Kohlrabi (German Turnip) (Brassica oleracea Gongylodes Group) is a low, stout cultivar of the cabbage that will grow almost anywhere. It has been selected for its swollen, nearly spherical, Sputnik-like shape. The name comes from the German Kohl ("cabbage") plus Rübe ~ Rabi (Swiss German variant) ("turnip"), because the swollen stem resembles the latter. However, the actual "Kohlrübe" exists too and corresponds to the rutabaga in English, which is distinct from the kohlrabi. Kohlrabi has been created by artificial selection for lateral meristem growth; its origin in nature is the same as that of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collard greens, and brussels sprouts: They are all bred from, and are the same species as, the wild cabbage plant (Brassica oleracea).

The taste and texture of kohlrabi are similar to those of a broccoli stem or cabbage heart, but milder and sweeter, with a higher ratio of flesh to skin. The young stem in particular can be as crisp and juicy as an apple, although much less sweet. Except for the Gigante cultivar, spring-grown kohlrabi much over 5 cm in size tend to be woody, as do fall-grown kohlrabi much over perhaps 10 cm in size; the Gigante cultivar can achieve great size while remaining of good eating quality.

Kohlrabi can be eaten raw as well as cooked.

There are several varieties commonly available, including White Vienna, Purple Vienna, Grand Duke, Gigante (also known as "Superschmeltz"), Purple Danube, and White Danube. Coloration of the purple types is superficial: the edible parts are all pale yellow. The leafy greens can also be eaten.

Some varieties are grown as feed for cattle.[1]

Kohlrabi is one of the most commonly eaten vegetables in Kashmir.[citation needed] Locally called Monj, the vegetable is eaten along with the leaves (haakh). Every Kashmiri household will have this on their dinner/lunch plate 3 to 4 times a week.[citation needed]

Monj (kohlrabi) is made in many forms. There is a spicy version which the Pandits call "dum monj" while as the non-spicy version is called Monj-haakh.

There you are 'o' lazy one!

Novacastrian said:
They look like fun to grow iggy, where did you get the seeds from?

Hey 50 to go and it's thursday here, you better start whoring it up if you wanna reach 15000 by OUR Friday!!
It's the American Friday I am concerned with :lol:

Just got the seeds out of a standard packet. I'm blessed with the ability to grow unusually large things. :lol:
fineexampl said:
how do you cook these? i see them the size you've got and larger locally all the time. never thought of trying it though.
You got me, I'm eating them like sliced apples. Screw cooking the main piece, that'll distroy some of the fine nutrients I grow these things for.

millworkman said:
Dont wanna google, what the hell are they?
It's a veggie that you eat. :lol:

Purple tastes like the green pretty much.

To me, they are just crunchy additions to salads and stirfry.

If you cook the purple it turns kinda green. What a waste.

lostmind said:
Purple tastes like the green pretty much.

To me, they are just crunchy additions to salads and stirfry.

If you cook the purple it turns kinda green. What a waste.

I almost never cook my veggies, I like them fresh. Although, I don't like the taste of these leaves so I'll probably cook those to see what it's like.

Back