food Hummus

The organic chickpeas I buy are $13/5lb, $60/25lb.
Pinto $8.50/5lb I buy by the 25lb sack , $37.50.
Your in the US it should be allot cheaper.

happytinker said:
I'm just kidding mostly. I did recently write down a bunch of food prices from stores around town before stocking up, and realized that chickpeas are the most expensive dry "bean" available. $3.59/lb at one store, and the discount place sells 25lbs of pintos for $15. That's some cheap protein.

Nothing wrong with a good bean dip. But hummus w/o chickpeas or tahini is not the same. Since you said tahini is expensive you could try adding toasted sesame oil to the blend (no idea how that would turn out). Or make your own tahini:

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/26901/easy-tahini-recipe/

and hummus:

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/15938/easy-and-smooth-hummus-recipe/

I like a Greek style hummus that is almost as thick as mashed potato but not fan of tahini in hummus. Which is kinda weired because I love tamari/tahini sauce on my falafel

Doubtful, I will look when I take my wife to Niagara falls /Buffalo for her cross border shopping fix. Product locator shows a limited availability area focused around NYC

Ah ok. I think it's thick like you like and it's kickass, the Sabra stuff sucks after eating this.

I am cheap and lazy, but still oddly particular about hummus. Canned Mr Gouda's garlic chickpeas, lemon juice, fresh garlic, good extra virgin olive oil (optional some lemonzest) thrown in blender/processor. S&P

Olive oil for drizzling or you put it in? Most I see don't have it in.

I do both. Blitzed in and a drizzle on top too whether its homemade or bought. Just a FYI, the Fresh Thyme brand hummus uses canola oil. Its tasty but..................

Last time at the international market the middle eastern baker had just delivered fresh flat bread....It was still warm too...Man did i pig out on some hummus.

All this talk made me crave some. Will be good with leftover lamb in pita. will make a grilled red pepper feta spread later to go with it too.

_20180715_162624.JPG

I like it with carrots or pita chips.

Bagel chips too. Sesame and pumpernickel perfect for hummus.

Back