• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro advice needed: DWC vs. Ebb and Flow/Hydroton vs. Rockwool

yellow leaf, green veins -- may be a sign of iron deficiency.  http://www.todayshomeowner.com/how-to-treat-iron-deficiency-in-plants/

Often an indicator of pH drifting too high.  You might also try a nutrient flush and then reset your reservoir nutrient mix.  If iron is too low (e.g. aquaponics) there are some nice organic seaweeds + iron (e.g. Maxicrop). 

From my experience as a hydroponics store owner...Ebb&Flow, DWC/RDWC, Aeroponics, NFT, drip/drain to waste...Faster growth and greater yields typically at cost of more points of failure and more maintenance (time).  (R)DWC, must keep the water temps down (chillers).  Aeroponics or drip, emitters clog. Slight personal preference for Ebb/Flow, lower risk & less maintenance on pumps/timers.  But to each his/her own. You'll get better results with hydroponics than soil.

Per original question, watering frequency, varies with air temp & circulation, plant size : container size.  Generally speaking, for ebb & flow, every 4-6 hours in hydroton (daytime).  2x per day if using Rockwool.  No watering within 2 hours of darkness or overnight. 

11870908_1518706185036688_8464001995124186817_n.jpg

Bell peppers budding, 21 days from sprout

Happy gardening,
Chris

Rainman said:
First season hydro for me here.  I'm trialing both systems you mentioned.  So far the DWC is producing much more plant vegetative growth over the ebb/flow (mine are still seedlings).

Its not a true comparison as I'm using three different peppers in the three systems (1 x DWC and 2 x E/F).

What I will say is that at this early stage, all three are showing much faster growth than my soil plants... I'm not an experienced grower tho, so this does not necessarily mean much!

What I liked most is that the hydro has corrected some lockout issues I was having for these plants in the soil without any effort.  If things progress like this, next years grow will be 80-90% hydro with a couple of soil pots as opposed to all soil like last year.

I'm growing hydro for the first time too.  A friend of mine wanted to me to grow her some peppers native to Peru, where she grew up.  I knew I'd have withdrawal from growing peppers so decided to experiment over the winter.  Good luck with yours, keep us updated :)

M

Back