• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro Issue...

I have had my first major issue with hydro. Both on my recirculation drip and the DWC. The Douglah in the drip has been in there for about two weeks now and has been doing just fine but the NagaBon has been in for four days now.

Water Specs:

Reverse Osmosis Water
6.5 pH
FoxFarm Trio - Big Bloom, Tiger Bloom and Grow Big Hydro
CalMag

Reservoirs get changed weekly and pH has been steady around 6.5 once everything is mixed in and its doing it's thing, also checked daily. The issue I am seeing on both plants is inward leaf curl seen on the below pictures. You can also see a lot of "bump" on two of the NagaBon leaves. My assumption is this is related to a lack of calcium in the water. The CalMag is dosed based on the soil requirements as I do not have the ability to test for ppm and such. I'm thinking I am not dosing enough CalMag to replace the lost elements in the RO water and the FoxFarm isn't putting in enough either. Noted in the other pictures are areas of reddish whatever. You can see it pretty good on the leaves that are not the focus especially on the outer leaf area. I've never see this reddish nonsense before and not sure if it's just related to the NagaBon adjusting itself to the DWC or not. The first two days the plant was a true champ, perked up and holding it's leaves up high. Yesterday it started to droop and the red spots started to show up.

You can see where my cat had a snack :|
dripwtf1.jpg

dwcwtf3.jpg

dwcwtf2.jpg

dwcwtf1.jpg

My questions are simply is the inward curl in fact a lack of calcium and CalMag related nutes and do I need to double dose it? Should I start doing weekly sprays of 1 tbsp of Epsom ? What in the world is the reddish areas on the leaves and how can I fix it?

If you guys can give me any advice on hydro and any lessons learned, bring it on! The more I know, the bigger and better burn I can get later on :). Happy growing and Thank you!

-J

I like to stay closer to 6 and let it drift around between 5.5 and 6.5. I've also always had plants take some time to adjust to new homes.

all my dwc show some form of leaf rip or curl or leaf end rot at some point in time. snip the leaf and move on. and don't over fertilize. all plants react differently to the nutrients, if you see leaves starting to burn, snip them and add some fresh water to the mix.

good luck.

Cut the Cal-Mag for the time being. The plants are not in bloom. If the Foxfarm trio does not contain magnesium, then add Epsom salt at a rate of 1/4tsp per gallon of solution in your resevoir.

I looked and the grow big hydro is the only one that gives mag at .5%. Should i just keep using the nutes as I have
But start using Epsom as well?

-J

Back