• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hydro Question

This is my first year growing hydroponic. My system came with a mix of grow nutrients and bloom nutrients. The directions state use all the grow with full light and the switch to bloom with the lights on the timer. Here is my question, I still have 6 weeks of grow left but my plants are all flowering. Should I keep with the grow and full lights or switch to bloom now and put the lights on timers. They have been in the pots for 6 weeks.

I'm growing bhut's, fatill, red saviva, chocholate hab and jamican chocolates.

I just ordered a hydro kit so I can help with your question, but have one for you!

How long has it been since you sowed the seeds?

Mike

Chili plants are not photo sensitive, so if they bloom they bloom, they won't bloom later if you switch the lights to growth back again. They are very different from hemp when it comes to that! :)

Don't worry about the # of hours, as Chiliac said. And the nutrient instruction are likely also for weed too. Chiles don't need the heavy bloom formulas since they continue to grow as they flower and need more of a balanced nutrition.

chiles may not need heavy bloom fertilizers but they still react to 'em, i couldn't get out to the hydro shop for a while to get my usual fertilizers so i opted to use my african violet ferts instead of switching to the miracle grow mum keeps in the shed (she can do whatever she wants with her own plants...) and suddenly everything started flowering...

I did not start them from seeds. I ordered the plants mail order from the link in my earlier post. I'm still trying to get the pics posted.

Also, since I can grow hydro year round, I wanted to know if any one has cloned plants instead of starting from seeds.

SS,
I can't wait to see how well you can root cuttings with your bubbleponics machine. Looks relatively inexpensive and the website says it works good for that.
Please post pictures of your progress.

Saxon Squire said:
I did not start them from seeds. I ordered the plants mail order from the link in my earlier post. I'm still trying to get the pics posted.

Saxon,

Did you wash the roots off and then stick the plants in the hydro? I have eight weeks until the fair and I'm expecting my system any day, so if I can come close to duplicating what you have achieved, I should have a couple of decent plants to show.

Mike

Yah, from what I am reading hydro can be pretty darn good. But I am still all conflicted over what method to use. Fogoponics, aeroponics, ebb and flow blah blah blah. All methods look like you could build them at home with just a couple of stacking rubbermaids and some cheap pumps/air pumps, sprayer nozzles... This is all cheap equipment though so I guess I should just dive in and try it out.

But then there is the nutrients part. Which I really don't fully understand yet. heh

I took the plants out of the cubes and rinsed off the dirt. I spread the roots out in a cross and put them in the hydroton. My systen has delvery direct to the roots in the cups plus the normal DWC. The roots made it into the tank within a week of planting.

I like the fertilizor that comes with this system. They call it fire and forget because it automatically adjusts for pH. I disolve the packet into one gallon of water and add to the system for a total of 6 gallon. One week latter, I just add water back the the 6 gallon mark. After another week, I drain and repeat. It is that simple.

Finally got the hydro up and running, actually I just got my plants in from CC but had the hydro up for a week now. The garden still isn't planted, we went from too cold to too wet. I'm hoping to get the plants in the ground tomorrow if it doesn't rain tonight. Craze spring that's for sure. I'm glad I still have a 1/2 dozen freezer bags left over from last year. ;)
Anyway, here is the Ecogrower with 5 Jolokias loaded up. I rinsed the the dirt of the roots before I transplanted them btw.

007a_sm.jpg

Back