• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification.

Hydrogen Peroxide is it good or bad?

Awe crap Doc, I thought you were telling ME to drink it! Didn't really help me too much, but the fizz was crazy! :banghead: Seriously though, I've been adding it to the water in small doses to some plants, which I also collect rain water to give them instead of the tap. I don't drink from the tap and neither do the plants.

Your theory openedup discussion. That's what it's all about, right?

I just used it a few weeks ago to kill a bout of White powdery mildew that hit my seedlings, It killed the Mildew with ONE application of 50/50 water and H202 3%.

The parts of the plants that were infected, were burned severely, but Im sure they would have bean dead if I didn't use it. My hypothesis on H202, GOOD! but may burn week plants.

By the way, My Billy Goats are growing fast. Thanks again Dr. Cres!!!

I just used it a few weeks ago to kill a bout of White powdery mildew that hit my seedlings, It killed the Mildew with ONE application of 50/50 water and H202 3%.

The parts of the plants that were infected, were burned severely, but Im sure they would have bean dead if I didn't use it. My hypothesis on H202, GOOD! but may burn week plants.

By the way, My Billy Goats are growing fast. Thanks again Dr. Cres!!!

I wonder how it would do if it was diluted to a 70/30% or 75/25% ratio of water to H202?

I make a solution of 4ml 50% H2O2 to I litre of water and soak my seeds in it for about 5 to 10 minutes. Then soak them in chamomile tea for 24 hours and put them in soil on a heat mat. My germination rates have increased to over 90% since doing this. I also did an experiment where I did the same but without the H2O2 and didn't get as high germination.

I also got a batch of seeds infected with some disease where the new sprouts would wither and die. It was one bad variety amongst many others that were ok so I used the H2O2 soak the next time and they were fine.

I've used this same dilution to spray clean the roots of sick seedlings during repotting, that had been waterlogged by a bad soil mix and they bounced back straight away.

I routinely use it for germination now and don't need it after that unless there is a problem.

please be specific for some of us.

what stage of development is this suggested technique safely effective?

how much ratio dilution ? what are you diluting it with ? rain water?..compost tea?

your saying diluted Hydrogen Peroxide is good for oxygenating the soil sometimes helps
and should not kill your plant ...that's great

but what about germination? say I am starting germination in soil naturally would this perhaps
help oxygenate the seed & soil during germination stage in some way?

are you saying Hydrogen Peroxide is only good for helping roots?

But does it kill the beneficial bacteria in the soil web or the biofilm on the leaves? If it is used for disinfecting I won't be putting in my soil or as a foliar spray as that would be counterproductive to the compost tea's purpose.

I use it once a week, 2 cups 3% to 2 gallons of water, I spray foliage and soil, apparently fungus gnats
hate it, their numbers have dropped drastically.

But does it kill the beneficial bacteria in the soil web or the biofilm on the leaves?

Yes I have said this many times. No reason to use it in an organic fertilizer program as you will kill and slow down micro life. Good call Carvin.

"Hygrozyme" can be used with an organic program.

"Hygrozyme is a true breakthrough in enzyme based products that breaks down old root mass to allow for and stimulate new growth. It is a root rot and disease inhibitor that also helps controls the growth of algae. This enzymatic formula is designed to break down proteins in the soil and allow for faster uptake of nutrients by the plant. Manufactured in an entirely unique way, Hygrozyme offers growers a number of advantages over competing products. It is bacteria free meaning that it has a virtually unlimited shelf life and there is absolutely no risk of introducing living bacteria into your system. Works great for both hydroponics and soil gardening. Hygrozyme is OMRI listed (organic) and highly recommended."

http://www.nehydro.com/fertilizers-stimulators/hygrozyme/hygrozyme-1-l/

I was thinking more along the lines of trying to help the seed break threw the hardened soil
I have monitored/waited several weeks on many occasions for a seed that did not germinate well
or break threw the top soil = dead

and so thinking the soil is too hard I need to water it again! = over watering

I was hoping that this might help.

^ H2O2 does nothing to help germinate but it can kill fungus traces on the seed and soil surface so the sprout has less damage done to it while it is trying to grow. If seeds can't break the soil surface then the soil is probably unsuited for the purpose. What I often do is mix up my regular soil and put the seeds down, then lightly sprinkle a soil mix with more peat in it on top, but not all peat because sometimes that causes a layer that the water just rolls off of instead of penetrating easily.

please be specific for some of us.

what stage of development is this suggested technique safely effective?

Just like any chemical using it safety comes down to the right dilution. Too much is deadly, too little is ineffective, at every stage of a plants development.

how much ratio dilution ? what are you diluting it with ? rain water?..compost tea?

I mix it with tap water that has been left out for a day for the chlorine to evaporate. My tap water is fairly clean and soft.
I use dilutions based on 50% H2O2 which is sold at Hydroponic stores. If you want to know the 35% or 3% ratios, or gallons instead of litres then you'll need someone with a better maths head than I... or make google your friend.
I add 1 ml of 50% H2O2 per 1 litre of water in Hydroponic reservoir every 3-4 days. For oxygenation of water and to suppress algae and mould growth.
4 ml of 50% H2O2 per 1 litre of water to spray on sick or fungus infected plants. This will kill algae and fungus.
2 ml of 50% H2O2 per 1 litre of water to soak seeds for 5 minutes, then I soak in half strength chamomile tea for 24 hours. I use an ice cube tray for this to keep the varieties separated.
In my opnion these doses doubled will not harm plants, but just to be safe I make a point of not letting H2O2 solution doplets sit on the plants leaves under lights. Never use the 3% solution you can buy at the chemist because it has chemicals added to it so that it doesn't break down. They call these stabilizers and they won't do anything good for plants.

your saying diluted Hydrogen Peroxide is good for oxygenating the soil sometimes helps
and should not kill your plant ...that's great

It will bring oxygen to the roots but H2O2 breaks down into plain water pretty quickly.

but what about germination? say I am starting germination in soil naturally would this perhaps
help oxygenate the seed & soil during germination stage in some way?

In my opinion it does help with germination by penetrating the seed coat more easily that just water. A more important factor is the seeds themselves. Most will not need soaking at all, but some varieties are hard to germinate. It can help with older seeds. I suggest trying it with any seeds that are well past their best before date, or any you are having trouble with.
Yes it will kill fungus spores that may be on the suface of seeds.

are you saying Hydrogen Peroxide is only good for helping roots?

It will bring oxygen to the roots but if you have your plant in a well drained mix it won't need it. If the plant is sitting in the same water for a while all the oxygen will be used up, the water will become stagnant and the roots will drown. Chilli plants really hate having wet feet. If you are growing in soil in pots make sure it is a well draining mix. This is the most important thing to do right. If you get this wrong then lots of other problems will follow.

lol you need to use lots of h2o2 frequently to get the effect of the additional oxygen. read that avocado study they were pumping like 20ml a day of 50% conc. solution. i dont think you will get any benefit without useing lots, and using it frequently... and with close to anoxic soils.

none of the studies i found suggested it was anything but a way to oxygenate very poor soils. one study found that the effect was similar to adding a venturi to a subsurface irrigation system.

Just to confirm I soak seeds in H2O2 solution in an ice cube tray for five minutes then put them in tea for 24 hrs, then plant them in some sort of seed raising mix.

If your problem with seed germination is getting them to break the hard soil surface then thats a different problem. The soil or seed raising mix you plant the seed in should be kept moist. Easiest way is to have it under a humidity dome, and a warm temperature.

As soon as they sprout you can remove the dome and put them in light. If you are sowing straight into the garden then put a plastic bottle over the soil to keep it moist, out of direct sun so it doesn't bake.

My Hydrogen Peroxide Experiment

using exactly the same

soil mix

25% sand
25% compost
40% miricle grow potting soil

mixed in approximately 8 fine crushed egg shells
3 finely ground dried out banana peels into the soil

before filling the pots with the above mix added
5% Miracle Gro Perlite bottom of the pot
5% Scotts Miracle Grow Sphagnum Peat Moss for the top
planted my Tiny Thai Chile pepper 3 seeds per pot

sprinkled 1 table spoon of bontone rooting powder on top

Plant Food/Fertilizer Tea Spray

dm3195.jpg

3 gallons of rain water into a clean 5-gallon plain white paint bucket with lid

1 cup of Medina Hasta grow plant food 6-12-6
1/2 cup of Green Sense- Kelp seaweed liquid Organic plant food
2 cups ultra Vigoro- All Purpose Plant Food 12-5-7 -soaked with above

The Difference

125suhl.jpg

32 OZ Hydrogen Peroxide introduced and mixed into a separate 5 gallon bucket with
the exact same above Tea Spray mix

filling a regular garden sprayer and spray soaking my plants separately every 14 days
this is the results I got..

29c6rk1.jpg

the one on the left didn't get the hydrogen peroxide as you can see it is darker green
and so I am thinking either I added 16 oz or 1 bottle too much H2O2 to the right side plant
a potent bad mix or something else happened.

the strange thing is even though the one to the right is bright neon greenish yellow
it's still somewhat healthy and flowering trying to hang in there
the leaves have a harder feel to the touch & very slow dominantly growing.

14tlb8m.jpg

so for me I say bad.

My Hydrogen Peroxide Experiment

using exactly the same

soil mix

25% sand
25% compost
40% miricle grow potting soil

mixed in approximately 8 fine crushed egg shells
3 finely ground dried out banana peels into the soil

before filling the pots with the above mix added
5% Miracle Gro Perlite bottom of the pot
5% Scotts Miracle Grow Sphagnum Peat Moss for the top
planted my Tiny Thai Chile pepper 3 seeds per pot

sprinkled 1 table spoon of bontone rooting powder on top

Plant Food/Fertilizer Tea Spray

dm3195.jpg

3 gallons of rain water into a clean 5-gallon plain white paint bucket with lid

1 cup of Medina Hasta grow plant food 6-12-6
1/2 cup of Green Sense- Kelp seaweed liquid Organic plant food
2 cups ultra Vigoro- All Purpose Plant Food 12-5-7 -soaked with above

The Difference

125suhl.jpg

32 OZ Hydrogen Peroxide introduced and mixed into a separate 5 gallon bucket with
the exact same above Tea Spray mix

filling a regular garden sprayer and spray soaking my plants separately every 14 days
this is the results I got..

29c6rk1.jpg

the one on the left didn't get the hydrogen peroxide as you can see it is darker green
and so I am thinking either I added 16 oz or 1 bottle too much H2O2 to the right side plant
a potent bad mix or something else happened.

the strange thing is even though the one to the right is bright neon greenish yellow
it's still somewhat healthy and flowering trying to hang in there
the leaves have a harder feel to the touch & very slow dominantly growing.

14tlb8m.jpg

so for me I say bad.
The ratio is 1 cup 3% H2O2 to 1 Gallon of water, and never treat more than once a week unless your plants are stressed by nasties...I've had nothing but good results.

*rubs eyes* did you seriously just quote my entire post?
for future reference you can simply click reply for spam sake..

and if you read what I said I sprayed every 14 days so thats every 2 weeks
and as i stated it was "MY experiment" not yours :drooling:
but you are probably right if you were trying to say I used too much.

Back