• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Hydroponic productivity question and pepper ID if possible

First time growing anything and would really appreciate some input. Three pepper plants total.

My setup is a home made NFT system for two pepper plants and a coffey can DWC for the third plant. I keep my ppm at 500 and my lighting is a 1000 watt HPS. My nutrient res is set to 69 degrees. My coffey can plant is under a T5. I do have a few tomato plants in the NFT system which I now realize was probably not a good idea. But learning the hard way so here we go......

I have no idea what plants are what. When I started my seedlings the tray got knocked over and everything was mixed up leaving me to guess what species was what. They have to be one of the three. White Habanero, Chocolate Habanero, or Carolina Reaper (Or atleast the seed supplier claims they are). So any help of identification would be greatly appreciated.

Second, I feel like my plants look weird. They are staying so short and fat and the leaves look so wrinkly. I feel like Im growing a ball of lettuce.... Now I admit I did have some PH issues in the first couple of weeks however I have been checking it and adjusting it to 6.0 religiously since. I look at everyone else's plants on here and they don't look the same. Now I realize that there are so many factors involved but I thought maybe someone might have an idea. So here are my questions.

1.) I did a poor job in keeping track of the age of these plants. But based on when I received the seeds I have figured out the larger plant is approx. 40-50 days old. The other two are 30-35 days old. Do these plants look to be growing too slowly? I feel like they are not where they should be......

2.) Should I be pruning them or cutting some of those leaves off?

3.) Can anyone tell me what species I have at this point?

Here are the pics

First plant and the biggest I have. 40-50 days old

Second plant on the left. 30-35 days old.

Plants look weird

On a positive note I think the roots look ok

Third plant under T5 lighting

Any help identifying these would be appreciated

Can't help any on the hydro questions.  But I can tell you that what you have growing are Capsicum Chinenses (all the varieties you listed are Capsicum Chinense).  We won't know the actual pepper type until it produces pods, unfortunately.

Yellowfin2na said:
First time growing anything and would really appreciate some input. Three pepper plants total.

My setup is a home made NFT system for two pepper plants and a coffey can DWC for the third plant. I keep my ppm at 500 and my lighting is a 1000 watt HPS. My nutrient res is set to 69 degrees. My coffey can plant is under a T5. I do have a few tomato plants in the NFT system which I now realize was probably not a good idea. But learning the hard way so here we go......

I have a tomato plant and 5 peppers running in my ebb/flow set-up which is running off one reservoir. Why do you say it was not a good idea to add the tomato? Is it because the tomato is not growing so fast? I ask because mine is still on the small side and I was thinking I may have made the same mistake...

The reason I say that is because in the nft system my tomato roots are growing so long and taking up much more space than my peppers roots. I see them clogging the system very soon. I don't think you will have that problem. Only other problem I would forsee is that if the tomatoes grow tall and the peppers stay short you might have issues with keeping the lights close enough to your peppers.

Cool - that's ok then as mine are outside hydros.  I'm hoping my tomato is just expanding roots into the bucket at the moment and I'll see an explosion of growth soon.  

Yes that is exactly what my tomatos did. They weren't growing on top hardly at all. The roots grew taller than the plant I think. Now they have exploded. Not sure if u can tell but the one tomato plant in the one pic is twice as tall as my oldest pepper plant and sprouted two weeks later.

Back