• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic hydroponics/ flood and drain 12/27/09

here is a update ... i added 6 rosemary clones i took along time ago... i took 30 and only got 6 i might have got a few more but i wanted to clean it out and start freash again.... the swiss chard is looking good also ... i will be setting up 2 20gallon rez ,this coming week .. i need to flush my lettuce more often.. i think the peppers need more consisint nutes while they are growing`...

IMG00408-20100110-2011.jpg

IMG00409-20100110-2011.jpg

IMG00410-20100110-2012.jpg

IMG00411-20100110-2012.jpg

well i got 2 rez in now 20gallon and 10gallon .. its all hooked up and working good... i am flushing out the 2 system on the right with all the lettuce in it.. i will be harvesting a lot of it in a few days .. i need to get the lettuce under controll .. then i will be planting more so i will always have something coming up ... i also added 2 fans i have some lettuce getting wilted in there from the heat..

IMG00414-20100112-1528.jpg

IMG00415-20100112-1528.jpg

IMG00416-20100112-1529.jpg

IMG00423-20100112-1532.jpg

Hi red eyes. I need you help regarding rockwool transplants - small cube into larger.

After transplant - Does growth normally slow until they put some roots through the big cube?

I posted this in another rockwool thread but your more likely to see it here:
You stated that you follow the GHE chart which is 2.5ml per Gallon for seedlings. The European chart says 2.5ml per 10 litres?!

Any tips to give me better results? I'm not failing by any means but no hydro miracles are happening yet...

Chris

Toleman said:
Hi red eyes. I need you help regarding rockwool transplants - small cube into larger.

After transplant - Does growth normally slow until they put some roots through the big cube?

I posted this in another rockwool thread but your more likely to see it here:
You stated that you follow the GHE chart which is 2.5ml per Gallon for seedlings. The European chart says 2.5ml per 10 litres?!

Any tips to give me better results? I'm not failing by any means but no hydro miracles are happening yet...

Chris

hey chris

yeah it may slow down a bit ... do you pre wet them first with nutes and PH water???? also are the roots coming out of the small cube before you put them in the big one??? what do you keep your PH at and your TDS??? what are you growing also ??? and yes i follow what the chart says for seedlings, 2.5per gallon on the 3 part GH and i add in everything on that chart ... my TDS is around 4ooppm and i bring my PH up to at least 5.8 for most everything i grow.. i also only use RO water .. do you???

Right, I soaked the large cube in ph'd water but no nutes - maybe I should have.

Yes they were coming out but next time I will allow a lot more first - there was minimal amounts.

ph 5.8 - 6

I use e.c and Im not measuring yet as GHE gives you no guidance on this. Normally when they are in the system I add nutes to instruction and take note of the e.c then I can top up back to this.

Currently a yellow scorpion CARDI from Cmpman.

I use rain water which is almost as good as RO. my tap water is almost 0.8 ec, the rain water is 0.1.

Maybe I can stregthen my nutes - Im currently on 2ml per 10 litres, yours relates to almost 5ml per 10L.

DSCF1919.jpg

Toleman said:
Right, I soaked the large cube in ph'd water but no nutes - maybe I should have.

Yes they were coming out but next time I will allow a lot more first - there was minimal amounts.

ph 5.8 - 6

I use e.c and Im not measuring yet as GHE gives you no guidance on this. Normally when they are in the system I add nutes to instruction and take note of the e.c then I can top up back to this.

Currently a yellow scorpion CARDI from Cmpman.

I use rain water which is almost as good as RO. my tap water is almost 0.8 ec, the rain water is 0.1.

Maybe I can stregthen my nutes - Im currently on 2ml per 10 litres, yours relates to almost 5ml per 10L.

DSCF1919.jpg

i would up the EC and add nutes to the rockwool for sure .. other wise they will soak up just water.. they can handle alot more than what you are giving them ... get the roots to come out a bit more before trans plant.. when i grow stuff i look for speed .. imo if you give them what they are looking for you will be getting better results and faster more is not always better but you need to find out what they can take i dont use EC but i can get you what i use in TDS form ...

here is a few pics of what i have left.....

IMG00426-20100117-1524.jpg

IMG00427-20100117-1524.jpg

IMG00431-20100117-1526.jpg

do you think I can go up to 0.5ml per litre of each nutrient? Even for the little guy? A litre pretty much relates to what you would call a quart. Do you make yours up in quarts?

Thanks for your help and your crops looking lovely by the way. I did well last year producing these monsters below. Bigger things to come this year...

Right, Just had a shower where I do most of my best thinking lol.
With hydro, there are so many contrasting views its always hard to make your own decision on things.

1. When people say 'quarter strength' - do they mean quarter 'full strength' or quarter of what is labelled for seedlings?
2. Last year for 'full strength' I used no more than 1ml per litre of each with good results. My dilution for my current seedlings is roughly a quarter of this. What your suggesting is half full strength.

Sorry for all the questions. I have 8 - 10 hydro seedlings to start soon and want to get it right.

Chris

Toleman said:
do you think I can go up to 0.5ml per litre of each nutrient? Even for the little guy? A litre pretty much relates to what you would call a quart. Do you make yours up in quarts?

Thanks for your help and your crops looking lovely by the way. I did well last year producing these monsters below. Bigger things to come this year...

i mix in gallons it is easy to mix bigger amounts of nutes... 1 system is 20gallons,and the other is like 15gallon.... i give my plants 2.5ml per gallon for the 1week then the 2 week 5ml per gallon...

Toleman said:
Right, Just had a shower where I do most of my best thinking lol.
With hydro, there are so many contrasting views its always hard to make your own decision on things.

1. When people say 'quarter strength' - do they mean quarter 'full strength' or quarter of what is labelled for seedlings?
2. Last year for 'full strength' I used no more than 1ml per litre of each with good results. My dilution for my current seedlings is roughly a quarter of this. What your suggesting is half full strength.

Sorry for all the questions. I have 8 - 10 hydro seedlings to start soon and want to get it right.

Chris

really man you should do what works for you ... i use full strenght on all my veggies ... but if you can use half strenght... half of what the chart says.... and your happy with what you get then stick to that bro... i also think they will grow faster for you if you can give them the max they can handle... you should try differnt amounts on differnt plants if you can... do you have 2 rez?? or 2 system??

Cheers Red eyes.

Im currently only mixing up small amounts for hand watering the rockwool.
I have my nft and a diy 8 pot drip system that I have made. Will be started in May if weather permits.

Bit of experimenting needs to be done...

Chris

Toleman said:
Cheers Red eyes.

Im currently only mixing up small amounts for hand watering the rockwool.
I have my nft and a diy 8 pot drip system that I have made. Will be started in May if weather permits.

Bit of experimenting needs to be done...

Chris

hey bro just a thought .. you could get a bucket and make your nutes 1 time a week put a air stone in it and just dip out what you need ... do you water from the top of the cube or the bottom? i also want to do some hydro outdoors but i cant till i can keep the deer out of my backyard,but i hope i can this summer.. well good luck bro.. keep me up to date on your experimenting...

well here is what i cut down tonight for dinner... i really like all the colors in there , they look awesome... i have around 4-5 swiss chard plants in there i need a few more to make a bigger meal... we ate everything i cooked and was looking for more.. we also had a salad from what i got out last week we ate all the lettuce i harvested... we had 2 gallon zip lock bags full and we just got done with that... i also think i have about the same amount ready to come out again... i will harvest more in a day or 2... i will post up more pics when i cut them down ...

IMG00433-20100120-1711.jpg

IMG00434-20100120-1833.jpg

IMG00435-20100120-1833.jpg

Hi RE.

Just updated my drip system tread.

I water the one in a small cube (which is in a plastic cup with clay surrounding it) from the top allowing some run-off. The big cube has been getting watered from the bottom. What do you suggest?

Chris

Toleman said:
Hi RE.

Just updated my drip system tread.

I water the one in a small cube (which is in a plastic cup with clay surrounding it) from the top allowing some run-off. The big cube has been getting watered from the bottom. What do you suggest?

Chris

i have found water from the bottom is better if the light hits the top of the rockwool cube it will grow algae which is not good ... send me a link of your update also..:lol:

well i am back and harvested even more lettuce than i did last time i got 3 gallon zip locks bags full this time... i left the roots on 1 so you can kinda see what that looks like... i have been watching and it seems that all the plants so far have small root system... i will get 4 harvest out of what i did... then i will start fresh lettuce again... maybe another week or so maybe sooner if i get time.. i am wanting to try some new greens , something i can cook with would be fun.. i did not get to many red lettuce this time but everthing looks even better than last time aslo.... i did not waste much at all this time...i am not sure how many pounds i got all together ... i have to say i think it last a lot long than what i can get in the store.. i did not get any lettuce wilting after it has been in the bag .. which is awesome!!!

IMG00437-20100121-1543.jpg

IMG00441-20100121-1604.jpg

IMG00442-20100121-1607.jpg

IMG00443-20100121-1607.jpg

Hi RedEyes. In the last 13 days since I posted the picture of my seedlings they are doing well. I upped the nutrient to 0.4ml per litre of each (1.5ml per gallon) and im getting a good steady growth rate. Im sure I could go higher but as long as they are happy plodding along I can start my hydro seedlings off earlier :) I did it for a test really to give me an idea of 'from seed to ready for the system 'as I don't want to end up with plants ready and the risk of frost still looming.

Im getting a bit of salt build up now. I have just been washing through from the top with nute solution but should I do it with just water? My concern is the big cube when wet holds water for 5/6 days so it would be a while without food.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk222/Tolemans/DSCF1951.jpg

Cheers for your help.

Chris

Back