• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic Hydroponics growers - help setting up

Same way with me. Whatever you want to do behind closed doors or closets is up to you. I love my peppers though. I hate it when people think the worst when you grow ponics.

I've actually considered growing peppers hydroponically as well. Yeah, I've bought grow lights at the store before and got the same response. I guess no one ever gets into gardening indoors besides pot......well some people think that at least...lol!! Kind of gets annoying. Wouldn't stop me though.

wordwiz said:
Nat,

I'm trying to get my head wrapped around this idea of how close plants grown via hydro can be. I see systems that support six large plants in a 4x4 foot area.

As for PVC, I've plumbed a couple of three houses using it. Got high doing it once - had to glue together three sections of waste line at a time, under a house that had no circulation. My wife sat outside and talked to me to make sure I didn't pass out.

Mike

It's good that you have some experience with handling PVC. I'll give you a couple of tips during our discussions to ensure that you have a water tight bond that is as good as possible. There are only a few tricks to it.

I'll start developing a parts list for you today and this evening when I get home from work, I'll post it.

Have a great day!

Actually i do believe that the GH Waterfarms area dual hydro system, a drip/DWC because when the roots getdown enough they just grow in the res, and after they get theremost ppl just take off the drip ring and run a air stone in the bottom. but obviously the drip can still be used.

NatGreenMeds said:
I'll start developing a parts list for you today and this evening when I get home from work, I'll post it.

It's going to take me a couple days to get the list together for you. I have to see how many of each PVC piece there are and how much length you'll need in PVC and 1" tubing.

I'll try to have the whole thing posted by this weekend.

Okay, I think I'm starting to grasp this idea, at least a bit of it. Supply nutrient enriched water from a reservoir through a hose to the plants so the water keeps the roots moist (at the least). Have the water return to the reservoir and after a certain amount of time, do the same thing. Make sure the reservoir doesn't allow any light to get to the water, check the ph often (daily or so?) and adjust as necessary.

Am I on the right track?

Mike

Yes, sort of. With my system, the nutrient water fills the tubs to within 2" below the Hydroton clay balls. That keeps the light from hitting the nutrient water and causing algae which will play havoc on your ph and nutrient levels.

Then, it circulates back into the reservoir from the top drains while the pump is running.

When the pump shuts off, the nutrient water back-drains through the bottom "fill" lines until the tubs are empty. The Hydroton retains enough moisture to feed the plants between fills.

This "Super-Oxygenates" the roots while the tubs are drained because the draining water pulls fresh air down to the very bottom of the tub.

Then, after a "dry" spell, the tubs re-fill and circulate again as a result of a timer on the pump.

The bottom line fills the tubs and the top lines circulate the water while the pump is on. This flows the nutrient water past and through the roots the whole time.

The water splashing back into the reservoir aerates the water well.

Very cool system.

I see by a later post from you that you've decided to use a DWC setup. That should work great for you.

If you or anyone decides to use the Ebb and Flow system, my sig leads to the DIY for it.

Good luck wordwiz! I look forward to seeing MASSIVE pepper growth in your new system!

Nat,

I'm hoping too! I'm planning on trying two tomatoes (White Beauty and Belgium Giant), a cuke, and eggplant and two peppers (Hungarian Wax and a super hot - probably a Trini Scorpion).

At the same time, I want to grow the same varieties in dirt so I can compare growth. Is using rockwool cubes to germinate the seed the best way to start? Once good roots develop, move the plants to either dirt or hydro?

I'll probably have to pick up another one of those lights so I use the same ones for the test.

Perhaps you, Pablo or Potawie have different experiences, but I cannot see how I can use hydro to germinate 128 seeds at a time. That's one of my goals - to have 256 plants to sell before Mother's Day next year. Mostly tomatoes (they sell the best!) but peppers, eggplants and cukes also. On top of that, have another 128 or so to plant a month later.

Mike

wordwiz said:
Is using rockwool cubes to germinate the seed the best way to start?
For the last 20+ years, I've used peat pellets to start all of my plants. Right now, I'm using rockwool for the first time. So far, so good. Two of my 9 test plants are working just like the peat pellets did. I read in several places that peat and peppers didn't get along, so I went with rockwool. I should have used some peat pellets too for comparison.

wordwiz said:
Once good roots develop, move the plants to either dirt or hydro?
Once you see roots on the outside of the cubes, you can transplant either to dirt or hydro.

wordwiz said:
I cannot see how I can use hydro to germinate 128 seeds at a time.
Sure, you can start a million if you have enough trays for the cubes. A humidity dome is a real good idea, but you can make one from almost any type of tub sitting on another tub, as long as they are pretty tight to keep in the moisture. Two concrete mixing pans would work great.

add my 2 cents.

i LOVE rockwool. i just want to get that out of the way.

i've used rapidrooters before and i went back to rockwool.

i'm giving them another chance, every seed i've put in it either germinated in a couple days or never germinated. but i think that's just the one type of seeds i have are dead or something only the first 4 i planted ever germinated since all have failed.

back on topic.

they really do develop roots amazingly, roots are out of the plug in no time. plus they are more of a regular seed tray shape, which i like, they dry out better than rockwool in a wetter enviroment, i don't know how to explain this they seem less soggy than rockwool is. either way either rockwool ( so many different sizes ) or rapidrooters are great! don't count either out. i've also heard of a gelatine substance? not sure that you can pull the seed out of and put in some coco or whatever.

as to address your germinating 128 seeds at once, i would suggest a normal 128 seed tray with coco in them or get the 128 plug rockwool tray. you'll never germinate in dirt again for dirt or hydro.

Putting the cart way before the horse here, but say I'm able to germinate 128 seeds and they get a good start in a hydro system (crossing fingers and figuring I might as well dream of winning the lottery!). Once the plants get to a decent size, do you transplant them to pots, say four-inch ones? Then once they are growing good, start the hardening off process?

I almst feel like I need to "waste" some seeds this summer, fall and winter so I can get this process down, especially if I can find a couple of vendors who would like to buy plants.

We have about a five-week window here to sell most plants at a retail level - from Mothers Day to June 15. (at best) Probably 75% of sales, though, are made from the weekend after Mothers Day through the last weekend of May. I would need to get the timing down, though I don't have a temperature controlled room (yet!).

Mike

it's all up to you :). you could make a cheap 50 site areo cloner or something and have a few clippings or new seedlings up and ready in no time. think a week or 2 ?

wordwiz said:
Putting the cart way before the horse here, but say I'm able to germinate 128 seeds and they get a good start in a hydro system (crossing fingers and figuring I might as well dream of winning the lottery!). Once the plants get to a decent size, do you transplant them to pots, say four-inch ones? Then once they are growing good, start the hardening off process?

I'm not sure what you are intending to do. It sounds like you're going to put the rockwool cubes into hydro and then try to remove them to dirt.

If that's what you're doing, it's pointless to use the hydro. Just put the rockwool cubes into the dirt after the seedlings are established in a germination tray.

What I'm talking about is growing your plants in hydro until you pick the peppers off the bush.

Why use hydro to create seedlings and then put them in dirt?

NatGreenMeds said:
Why use hydro to create seedlings and then put them in dirt?

Mainly because I had a lot of problem getting the seedlings off to a good start. They basically sat around for six weeks looking sickly, then started growing. If I can get a decent plant of 2-3 inches then transplant into a small container, I should be able to grow more plants in a shorter amount of time.

Mike

Back