• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

hydroponic HYDROPONICS

How many have ever tried this method of growing??
My son is giving me a small system that has a light that adjust up and down and is on a timer ,and the nutrients are on a timer also.

Got 4 bhuts in a nft system and one in a dwc, all are thriving. They got stunted at first because of a buildup of nutrients in the rockwool but now all is well.

I have 4 chile plants about 1 month old in a DWC under a 400w hps and 105W 6500k CFL (just ordered my MH conversion bulb). They are growing fast!

If you are talking about the aerogarden, it won't work well for any big varieties. I got one as a gift as well and had a hot paper lantern in there for about 1.5 months but the roots got wayyy too big for the reservoir so i planted it out. Something like a cumari might do well in it. Adding a cheap air pump and airstone worked wonders for it, right now i just use it for basil.

the one he is giving me is the areo garden with the timers and all on it. I don't know anything about it so I will need some help:think: Like what do you do when you can't raise your light any higher and your plant is too tall??
how about using it for germination??

Yeah, that's what i have.

The reservoir and lamp height are too small for pepper plants except maybe small varieties. That's why i just it for basil right now, you can just trim it down when it gets too close to the lamp and it'll keep branching out.

I see faster germination with rockwool, jiffy pellets or straight seed starting mixes.

Is he buying it for you or does he already have it? You can get a basic DWC kit with timer and lights for about the same price.

I have six Habaneros growing in a ebb-and-flow setup along with one Jalapeno in a DWC setup. The habs have taken off like rockets as opposed to the other habs in the garden (which get far more sunglight). I am not a green thumb person by nature, but a light switched on this year and I have had a lot of success with the hydro setups I am using. The hardest part is getting your nutrient mixture right, not too much to burn the leaves, but too little that it's delaying growth or pepper production.

I only measure PH with a dropper kit when adding the nutes (get it to 6.0, once it climbs to 7.0 I change the nutes) and round down the mixture recommended on the nute bottle as I have been reading that peppers don't need a lot of nitrogen or a concentrated amount of nutes. Following that advice is what has allowed my plants to grow like crazy.

Jalapeno setup: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12886
Hab setup: http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=12885

Is he buying it for you or does he already have it? You can get a basic DWC kit with timer and lights for about the same price.
he was givien it for a gift 2 years ago and his wife will not keep water in it while he is gone. He works in TrinidAD, COLUMBIA OR WHERE EVER HIS CO. SENDS HIM BUT 90%
OF THE TIME HE IS OFFSHORE SO EVERTHING DIES!!
I MAY TRY TO USE IT FOR GERMINATION . hE TOLD ME THEY GERMINATE REAL QUICK IN THERE

I should have stated that my dwc bhut is doing well up top, good growth, can see flowers coming, leaves look good. But, I am constantly fighting root rot, as of now I am putting sm90 and hydrogen peroxide in my nutes every couple of days. Any thing down under that decides to rot gets cut off and new growth appears,probably isn't the best plan of attack but every other variable is within ideal range.

pappywith4 said:
he was givien it for a gift 2 years ago and his wife will not keep water in it while he is gone. He works in TrinidAD, COLUMBIA OR WHERE EVER HIS CO. SENDS HIM BUT 90%
OF THE TIME HE IS OFFSHORE SO EVERTHING DIES!!
I MAY TRY TO USE IT FOR GERMINATION . hE TOLD ME THEY GERMINATE REAL QUICK IN THERE

I have better germ rates from other methods but they sure do grow fast in it. Just make sure you take it out before the roots get too big, the hole is so small its hard to remove the whole thing without damaging it once it gets too big.

I have some different hydro (top-drip Waterfarms and a DIY dutch bucket top feed w/a aerated reservoir) setup outside. Had some DWC stuff going, but I think top fed systems get bigger outdoors. And a Waterfarm eventually incorporates both top feed/DWC as the roots drop down to the res. No light info for you, but some tips if you're ever going outdoor. A couple simple things being to keep an eye on any evaporation and algae growth on the medium.

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Back