I Bought My First WEBER!

WSM is $400, I'd get a UDS before that.

Funny thing is, Jim, I've never temped a brisket. I just pick it up with my bbq gloves and see how "wobbly" it is. If it is still a lttle stiff, it goes back on for a while. And yes, I use the minion method. It is important to get your fire burning clean (no more white smoke) before you put your meat on. And I always use lump charcoal and wood chunks. I don't like the fillers they put in briquettes and all the ash they create.

Roguejim said:
John, I know you're a lot more experienced than I, so, if you had a brisket on the lower grill, would you rely on temp, or would you pull it to test with a fork? Maybe you've been doing it so long, temp is all you need? I don't like the idea of having to pull the upper grill to fork test the meat below, but I guess there aren't any other options.  Last question, do you use the Minion method?
And if you want a UDS, check out Pit Barrel Cooker http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

If you are going to be doing much direct grilling  I  would recommend picking up a universal cast iron grate .   The  last time I was in the USA I picked one up that fits my 22.5 kettle perfectly ,.   $30 at Direct Tools factory outlet but I think Target carries them for not much more.   BBQ brand  is Stok.   Centre insert system is pretty cool but you will have to buy  the handle   and different inserts separately.  

the product description at this link says it is  porcelain-coated but mine was just bare CI.    It makes a world of difference when you are cooking steaks .

http://www.target.com/p/st-k-22-5-cast-iron-grate/-/A-14007246

The weber kettle is so freaking versital. I love mine. Best noninvestment I ever made. Smoke, grill, cook, whatever. It does it all.

Though it is quite a bit of work, and monitering when trying to cook pork butts, or briskets.

midwestchilehead said:
Funny thing is, Jim, I've never temped a brisket. I just pick it up with my bbq gloves and see how "wobbly" it is. If it is still a lttle stiff, it goes back on for a while. And yes, I use the minion method. It is important to get your fire burning clean (no more white smoke) before you put your meat on. And I always use lump charcoal and wood chunks. I don't like the fillers they put in briquettes and all the ash they create.

And if you want a UDS, check out Pit Barrel Cooker http://pitbarrelcooker.com/
You have to be cautious of lump coal as well. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

You can buy briquettes that are 100% natural with vegetable binders.

And yeah, with lump, they can add stuff like plywood and woods not made for smoking.

There's good and bad for both.

I like lump for steaks and grilling.
I like briquettes for the smoking base, and do minion method.

AHA!

Here is the complete UDS I mentioned.

http://pitbarrelcooker.com/product/

$289, free shipping.

Oh dag. I think I want me one of those. For real.

I was just always hoping to be able to get a WSM some day.

But that is a little more achievable. Cause frick knows I can't build anything myself!

How long of a cook can you usually maintain before needing to refuel on one of those? 

HigherThisHeat said:
Oh dag. I think I want me one of those. For real.

I was just always hoping to be able to get a WSM some day.

But that is a little more achievable. Cause frick knows I can't build anything myself!

How long of a cook can you usually maintain before needing to refuel on one of those? 
8lbs of charcoal cooks between 8-9 hours at 275-300*

I don't know if you could fit two briskets on but one way to increase cooking space and increase smoking time by helping control temps is the snake method. Basically, you lay out a row of coals about 3 wide and 3 layers deep (I usually do about 3/2/2)around the perimeter of the charcoal grate, going about 3/4 of they way around. I place a chunk of wood about every 3-4 inches around the "Snake" to get periods of smoke. Put your drip pan or water pan in the middle and get one end lit. You can either light a small amount in your chimney and dump it on one end or bury a starter cube near one end a light it. Put the cooking grate on and place the meat in the center. Gives you about 5-6 hours of cooking time and you can control temps down to about 225 with the damper an vent.

I Smoked a ham like this a couple weeks ago and it came out great.

BTW I think the Weber kettle is the single most versatile grill out there.

This was the short version. I suggest you check out the forums at WWW.BBQ-Brethren.com . Those boys know the Q.

VR,
Harold

HigherThisHeat said:
Awesome.... I'm saving my pennies. Literally.
I just might be doing the same thing as well. I like the concept especially for a large crowd or gathering where you can hang all the meat on those racks. 

Is there a proper way to burn in a new Weber kettle?
Yes... Pre-heat it good. Cool down a little. Cook.

Seriously, it's powder coated. Unless you plan on getting it wayyy hotter than you need to all that need to happen is a normal pre-heat.

VR,
Harold

Whitewookie said:
I don't know if you could fit two briskets on but one way to increase cooking space and increase smoking time by helping control temps is the snake method. Basically, you lay out a row of coals about 3 wide and 3 layers deep (I usually do about 3/2/2)around the perimeter of the charcoal grate, going about 3/4 of they way around. I place a chunk of wood about every 3-4 inches around the "Snake" to get periods of smoke. Put your drip pan or water pan in the middle and get one end lit. You can either light a small amount in your chimney and dump it on one end or bury a starter cube near one end a light it. Put the cooking grate on and place the meat in the center. Gives you about 5-6 hours of cooking time and you can control temps down to about 225 with the damper an vent.

I Smoked a ham like this a couple weeks ago and it came out great.

BTW I think the Weber kettle is the single most versatile grill out there.

This was the short version. I suggest you check out the forums at WWW.BBQ-Brethren.com . Those boys know the Q.

VR,
Harold
Wow.  One packer brisket on a kettle grill would be a nightmare for me.  5 to 6 hours wouldn't even be half the cooking time required, unless you were going with the Hot and Fast method.  Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to smoke large hunks of meat, like butts and briskets, on a kettle grill.  That's what the WSM is for.  Just talking here, plus I'm lazy and like my sleep.  But, I agree, the BBQ Brethren is THE one stop for all things BBQ.

Like I said, I've never done a brisket or anything that big.  The ham I did was about 10 lbs and only took about 4 hrs, but it was partially smoked to begin with.  I was mainly trying to give some ideas on alternatives for heat management methods.  I've also smoked ribs on the kettle several times and by stacking can get two slabs on there no problem.  I think if I were going to try a butt or brisket I would probably bump the temp up to the 300 range.

Check out this thread at The BBQ Brethren.  http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189906

Harold

Back