• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

I Don't Get the Jalapeno Love

I've eaten a lot of jalapenos in my time, but there seems to be a lot of love for stuffed jalapenos and jalapeno powders on this forum. I've never been particularly impressed with the heat or the flavor. Caveat -- I've never grown my own. Are store-bought jalapenos that much worse than what I can grow? Honestly, I've never considered jalapenos due to their overly generic nature and distaste for the flavor profile.

If I'm in the wrong, please point me to a delicious jalapeno. As it stands, I much prefer Serranos in terms of commercially available peppers that I can pick up at the grocery store.

I like mine better than store bought, I find that stressed they're hotter ... still as you say they're not all that hot but are nice in certain sauces and recipes. That said, if or when I lose my plants I won't grow them again for a long while ...

I grew jalapenos last year by mistake. They were in the serrano section, but when I got home and looked at the tag, they were jalapenos. What is amazing, is that my cat ate every leaf and just about every stem off of that plant before I could get it outside, and into the ground. My wife told me that I should plant it anyway. It was literally just a stalk. But, pretty soon I had a couple of little leaves on it, by the time the summer was over, it was my largest pepper plant. And those things were freaking hot. Hotter than I would have ever expected from a jalapeno. They aren't my favorite peppers, but they do have a place in the cooking that I do.

Just my $0.02...

I grew jalapenos last year by mistake. They were in the serrano section, but when I got home and looked at the tag, they were jalapenos. What is amazing, is that my cat ate every leaf and just about every stem off of that plant before I could get it outside, and into the ground. My wife told me that I should plant it anyway. It was literally just a stalk. But, pretty soon I had a couple of little leaves on it, by the time the summer was over, it was my largest pepper plant. And those things were freaking hot. Hotter than I would have ever expected from a jalapeno. They aren't my favorite peppers, but they do have a place in the cooking that I do.

Just my $0.02...

My girlfriend's cat has eaten many of my pepper plants a well. Maybe I'll have to give them a shot this year. I don't think I've ever seen a red jalapeno.

Very good point Ramon my man. :dance:

You could also buy some of Wayright's smoke chipolte powder and see what a smoked ripe biker billy is supposed to tatse like. :fireball:

Who doesn't love a homegrown bacon and cheese stuffed jal. Raise your hand!!! :confused:

It just means you have your own taste and preference. Nothing wrong with that.

But why call it generic just because it is popular? It is a pepper with its own identity, flavor, etc. That is why you don't like it. It is unique, and you like other peppers. So it is far from generic.

I like them as green, red, chipotles, powder, pickled.

It just means you have your own taste and preference. Nothing wrong with that.

But why call it generic just because it is popular? It is a pepper with its own identity, flavor, etc. That is why you don't like it. It is unique, and you like other peppers. So it is far from generic.

I like them as green, red, chipotles, powder, pickled.

I think that there's likely a disconnect between the jalapenos that I'm finding commercially available, and what other forum members here have either grown or found. It's probably not fair to call the jalapeno as a whole "generic," but the ones I've found have not been anything special. Maybe it's just that they're imported under-ripe.

I think that there's likely a disconnect between the jalapenos that I'm finding commercially available, and what other forum members here have either grown or found. It's probably not fair to call the jalapeno as a whole "generic," but the ones I've found have not been anything special. Maybe it's just that they're imported under-ripe.
All green are under-ripe. Below is a ripe one, one I grew in 2012.

Early Jalapeno

post-7027-0-18755900-1349575650_thumb.jpg

This will be the first season I don't grow my own... :mope: (for now)Too little space, and the store bought ones here are decent heat and flavor wise. I don't eat jals for the heat, they're a "whole family" pepper that the wife and kids can enjoy without dying. I also make some smoked jal powders that are a table must, once again heat the whole fam can deal with. Just my .02. Biker Billy and Mucho Nacho are the two I would grow...and may still if momma will let me!

All green are under-ripe. Below is a ripe one, one I grew in 2012.

Early Jalapeno

post-7027-0-18755900-1349575650_thumb.jpg

I agree. The ones I overwintered this year under a HPS light ripen to an orange-red though, not the bright red they did during the growing season. Weird. Mine are pussy hot though. I have Mucho nachos on the grow list for next year and hope for hotter ones next year.

i don't get this post, several years ago jalapenos were all some could get, so we did what had to do, use them. for some of us, red savina was thousands of miles away, untouchable. today, everything is available, to the point i have had to pull my grow list as every knucklehead that has a hot pepper fetish was emailing me for free seeds. many even asked for free plants, you know "we are all a big family". many are 1 time subscribers to the "hot pepper forum" and have never posted a thing.

there is nothing wrong with jalapeno peppers, one decides how you are going to use them and implement the meal. if you think the meal won't be hot enough then add something special to spice it up. if other pods are available for you to use, then go for it. but if jalapeno is all that is available do your best to create the best meal possible.

A red ripe jalapeno is pretty damn good. Im not really into the green favor of unripes, jalapenos or not. Even bells are better when red for me. Taste is definitely subjective though.

Back