• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

I Don't Get the Jalapeno Love

i don't get this post....

I've never lived anywhere that jalapenos were the only option. They've always been the most common, and arguably the most popular, but there's never been a shortage of serranos, habaneros, anaheims, and thai where I've lived. I can recall nibbling on a Birds Eye twenty years ago and making the tragic mistake of rubbing my eyes. Maybe I've lived a charmed life in terms of pepper accessibility and never developed the hard fought appreciation for jalapenos. Maybe I've missed something along the way, or judged them prematurely with only knowledge of their mass-marketed green counterparts. I fully intend on trying red jalapenos if and when I can find them, and give smoked jalapeno powder a shot. I'm a new member here, and I want to apologize if I come off as a knucklehead seed beggar. I'm doing my best to avoid stepping on any toes, but I'm bound to make a mistake or two along the way.

Red ripe jalapenos are great fresh. I pretty much just use green ones as a vessel to hold hotter and tastier peppers, along with cheese and other goodies, of course.

I like the hot and mild Jalapenos - I think they're very forgiving for cooking/stewing. the flavor is great, and they add a decent amount of heat.

I prefer Serranos from the "not so hot" peppers, but Jalapenos are excellent. There's a reason they're popular - people like them. They're big enough to stuff with cheese or meat and make poppers or BBQ yummies, they're not so overpowering that they ruin anyone's night by eating one.

I use them in all 3 of my production sauces - I have much love for the much maligned Jalapeno.

Early Jalapeno

post-7027-0-18755900-1349575650_thumb.jpg

I am not as much a fan of the ripe red jalapenos - too sweet. It's the bitterness of the green jalepenos I think works well to balance a sauce. That said, the reds are good in stir fry, or fajitas.

Jalapenos are very important. They were the gateway drug that steered me here.
Without them what would most people eat (fresh peppers anyway) in the cold dark winter?
Plus, its hard to make Pico without them.
It was also mentioned that they are family friendly too. I second that.
Luckily, the ones in the store this week taste great and are scorchers. Hiccups and everything!
I do have to say, every single variety of Jalapeno that I have tried from various members here who grow their own blows away any grocery store pepper. There really is a world of difference. Heck, even the ones that I grew in the back yard tasted good.

Home grown are superior to the ones I can buy in the store. There are certain food dishes that seem made for Jalapenos and unless you have had Jalapeno powder especially smoked, I can understand why you are wondering.
Very good point Ramon my man. :dance:

You could also buy some of Wayright's smoke chipolte powder and see what a smoked ripe biker billy is supposed to tatse like. :fireball:

Who doesn't love a homegrown bacon and cheese stuffed jal. Raise your hand!!! :confused:

Amen to that :D

IMAG0384.jpg

i like them somewhat there not my fav i do like chilpotle however
i have grown "FOOLED YOU JALAPENOS" for my wife because she likes the flavor but not the heat, they are a no heat hybrid that keeps its no heat disposition as long as there not near other hots

thanks your friend Joe

I can't remember just what all the peppers I ate as a young man, the first one where mainly pickled Chiltepins that my dad had picked in the wild southern Arizona and southern New Mexico desert and grew in his garden. Later I know that they were Serrano's and some Jalapeños in the markets. During my time in the Navy, I ate a lot of small Thia and mostly unknown C. frutescens. When I got back home it was mostly Jalapeños although Mexican, Thia and Vietnamese food was making its way through the states and I was hooked on any hot peppers I could get . My family doesn't care for hot peppers, but most will eat the mild Jalapeños, so I grow a few of them along with the hotter ones, but I would rather eat just about any other type of pepper as I'm not fond of their flavor, which is a little bitter when green, but it gets to tough and corky when ripe for my liking. I do like them smoked and made into a powder. I would rather stuff Poblanos or Anchos over Jalapeños, less work more flavor. For fresh eating many of the Habs used in small amounts can add just about as much flavor as some of the Jalapeños varieties.

I musta' been around 12 or 13 when I started eating jalapenos. I still do. A lot! That's about 40 years. Mostly pickled, sometimes fresh. A simple fried tortilla with a melty piece of cheese and pickled 'peno slices is like mama's milk.

I know some members don't grow peppers that are readily avail in grocery stores.. For me I get pleasure from going to my
back deck and picking a fresh jalapeno or serrano.

my friend has a commercial farm as many of you know and his Jals are wonderful compared to the ones from stores

my fav is Biker Billy!!

I have this discussion with my wife all the time. I am so so on red jalepenos and don't like green jalepenos at all. My wife is the opposite. My favorite way is picked red and hung out in the sun a few days. They just taste better to me.

We both agree that store bought are very different than home grown. My home grown are hotter than serranos at the store.

BTW, I don't think you came off as a mooch. I think burning colon had to get something off of his chest and wanted to talk about Jalepenos.

I really enjoy ripe (red) jalapenos. I use green ones in salsas and occasionally poppers but red is the way to go for me. I think green ones only taste so-so.

I love the flavor of jalapenos. They taste awesome with chicken. The ones I grow (early jalapeno) taste better and are much hotter. BTW that pic with the red jalapeno looks so delicious! <3 red jalapenos.

+1 for red penos, I like them because of the borderline heat so your friends and family can enjoy what you cook.
Plus everyone that visits my garden can have as many as they want, I'll keep the supers for myself thank you!

Greens in moderation, reds are heaven.
First taste of a red (ripe) last year out of my pepper patch. Definately an order of magnitude hotter than store bought.
I won't ever stuff a green again, but probably will include some in the stuffing.
For visitors.

I prefer a stuffed hab now as a munchie.
Stuffed Bhuts on the list for this season. :dance:

Back