• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I don't think my Purple Tiger is a Purple Tiger

IMG_3652.jpg

It looks more like it is shaping up to be a Black Pearl or Black Prince, doesn't it?

Bummer.

my first purple jalapeno looks like that. til it got eaten by caterpillars. my 2nd batch of purple jalapenos look greener coz i grew them only in the morning sun. when i plant them in the ground they'll look like that too.

I'd wait until itstarts to get pods, looks like a (very healthy) purple tiger to me, but I've not grown the Black Pearl or Black Prince so I could be wrong :)

Ah, awesome. I was under the impression that the leaves went green, purple and white, no? I guess I am jumping the gun big time though considering it is only early stages!

Looking back on some pics of my Black Pearl that I grew last season, they do look slightly different.

Black Pearl:

z3.jpg

The leaves turned black without the green veins.

Is it in direct sun? Purple tigers get variegated leaves in sun. Aj has some good pictures, I will see if I can dig them up.

This is mine from a few years ago.

IMG_2295.jpg

IMG_2301.jpg

IMG_2530.jpg

Here is a link to what AJ's looked like.

http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/4516-prettiest-pepper-plant-this-year/page__hl__%22purple+tiger%22

Is it in direct sun? Purple tigers get variegated leaves in sun.
Now that the sun is finally back, it is. It has been cloudy here the last few weeks though.

And yeah, the variegation is more of what I was expecting... not the black foliage.

Oh well, I guess time will tell.

Back