I feel so defeated

I have no idea what the cost input/possible income/eventual outcome is for in store demos in the long run comes out to, but having worked in grocery stores since moving to America and seeing not only myself but other customers move past an item not knowing what it's like before a demo, only to have myself not only look for their products, but have customers that used to walk past their products specifically ask where they are, I can agree that in store demo's either showing how to use a sauce straight up, or even how to cook with a sauce to add flavour to dishes seems to do more than just posting online.

Ok,  I skipped 2 pages of posts...so if this has been posted already, my apologies....

Pex- my comments to you are- (and these are my comments and opinions, set forth on an internet forum....so take them or pitch them as you see fit.  We all know the saying "opinions are like as$#0les......)  

I don't know of anyone who has gotten rich/independantly wealthy from internet sales of hot sauce. 

First- at $7 average per bottle plus shipping, that's asking a lot of customers to pay for a sauce they "might" like.  You have to do a WHOLE lot of freebies to reviewers to get any kind of buzz going and then you might get a "few" sales from those reviews.  i suppose someone could base a whole marketing campaign on sending out samples to reviewers, and then blogging the crap out of the "positive reviews" of those reviewers.  It's a lot of work and selling sauces on the internet is not the most profitable venue.

Second- GET LOCAL!  The more you can have your product out at local stores and FMs, the customers will taste it, "Oh YEA.  This sheits GOOD!  I'm totally wiling to shell out 7bucks a bottle!.....I'mma gonna buy it here at the FM and if I run  out between markets, I can get it at ZZZ Store.  SWEET!!!"

The down side will be....
The first year I was selling salsa at the FM, I was selling out every week.  At the end of the market season, the regulars were asking where they could buy it over the winter.  So I got into one local store with the salsa over the winter.  Next Spring...sales were OK...but over the summer I got the salsa into a couple other local stores. 

By the end of the summer, I wasn't selling s#!t at the FM.  Everyone came up to the booth, took a taste and said..."I LOVE this SALSA!  We Just Bought some at ZZZ's!!!!" and they'd walk away.....

So this is the golden lining of this story....I've not been selling salsa at the FM for many years....but my in-store sales have grown to more than what I can keep up with.  Now, I just wholesale fresh salsa to 5 local stores. (edit- I also sell the bottled sauces at the local stores......)

LDHS is working local markets every day and is also working distributors and wholesale stores.  Other sauce makers are working lesser days but consistently at FM for years.  And they also work with wholesale distributors.  The key is to get the product out in front of local customers.  The benefits of that are immediate cash in the pocket at the end of the day, immediate feedback from customers. 

Another item for consideration is the heat level of the products.  If your product is Heat Level 7/10....you will not have a very big market.  Hard to make a living on 2% of the market share that eat things 7/10 or hotter.  75% of what I sell is Mild/Medium.  (heat level 0-5) 

Anyway, these are just some Friday Night-reallytiredfromalongweekofwork- timetorewine- ramblings. 

Good luck, Pex~, I wish you all success.  Hope things get sorted out and the cash register starts ringing. 

always-  SL

This stuff has already been said but.........
My opinion as a consumer.

I do occasionally buy a bottle of super hot sauce. Usually just one and I typically never buy another bottle of it again. Even if I like it. One reason is that it is so hot that it can often be difficult to find uses for it. Second, it takes a long time to use a whole bottle even if I use it often. 

Shipping is often a deal breaker. Especially if I have a small order. Free shipping is awesome! Shipping over $5 causes me to hesitate to buy. About $7ish is my limit and if shipping costs near $10 or more then I most likely will not order. I also think that physiologically FREE SHIPPING!!! seems like an even better deal than 30% off of a $20 order.

Getting something unexpected with a package is also pretty awesome. Even if it is something small like a pepper powder sample or some seeds. I'm always more likely to order from a vendor who has exceeded my expectations on a previous order. 

I also like interaction with a vendor. Even though he isn't popular here, Pepper Joe was fantastic about interacting with people through email and his Facebook page. I always liked when he shared a pic that I emailed him or posted on his page. 

Prayer never hurts.

$20 is a nice number for me when buying stuff like hot sauce. I usually try to keep my orders around that number. If I can get what I want for about $20, shipping included, I'm a happy customer.

Two bottles of sauce for $20 (incl. S&H) is an ok deal. I'll do that for something that I really, really want. Would probably hesitate to order again even if it is a good product. I may just try to find it or something similar in a brick and mortar store for less.

Three bottles for $20 (incl. S&H) is a really good deal. I'm more willing to take a chance trying something new. Most likely will order again if I like the product.

Any thing over three bottles for for $20 (incl. S&H) is an insanely awesome deal from my point of view but probably not going to make you any money. Maybe could do something like this for an occasional sale. Would definitely order again if I liked the product.

For me $20 is not a definite number. I will go a bit over that for something I like.

Pro tip: there is no such thing as free shipping.

There are companies like mine, who subsidize shipping (e.g. The $9.95 you'll pay to ship my 7-pack costs me $16 to ship via priority mai. The $4.95 you pay to ship 1 bottle costs me closer to $6 to shipl)

And there are companies who charge you $12 a bottle and give you "free shipping"

But nobody sells you a bottle for $5 and ships
It free - it costs ~$5 to ship it, so unless they're in business to lose money, there's no such thing as free shipping. Just good marketing.

Food for thought (figuratively & literally)
;)

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Pro tip: there is no such thing as free shipping.

;)

I count as positive when the merchant has already figured out the bundling to make shipping the most efficient, and/or cost effective, and provides a quick-buy path like a pick-any-three, or pick-any-seven where the shipping is built it ...

I mean, I know I'm paying for shipping, but I feel unencumbered while shopping if I don't have to be thinking about it while I'm browsing the selections ...
Dr.Pepper said:

Variety is the spice of life. Things would get boring is we all agreed on everything.

True that.

grantmichaels said:

I count as positive when the merchant has already figured out the bundling to make shipping the most efficient, and/or cost effective, and provides a quick-buy path like a pick-any-three, or pick-any-seven where the shipping is built it ...

I mean, I know I'm paying for shipping, but I feel unencumbered while shopping if I don't have to be thinking about it while I'm browsing the selections ...
Then you've swallowed it whole, hook line & sinker.

More often than not your "free shipping" will cost more on a per bottle price than my fixed shipping rates.

Companies love giving you free shipping because they profit more from customers who are closer.

But hey, each to their own. ;)

I've considered changing my site to include shipping in the price, but I'm too honest to claim "free shipping" so i'd have to call it "includes shipping" or some other type of phrasing that's not insulting to anyone's intelligence.

The wording Free doesn't bother me. I'd say go for it. More sales, and a word customers like, even if it's worked into the cost. It's common these days.

As common as the old 19.99 trick, a penny less looks a dollar less than 20. You use that on your merch. $24.99 etc. Just another marketing trick like free shipping that is common, and not really insulting, as you say, because it is so common.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
Then you've swallowed it whole, hook line & sinker.

More often than not your "free shipping" will cost more on a per bottle price than my fixed shipping rates.

Companies love giving you free shipping because they profit more from customers who are closer.

But hey, each to their own. ;)

I've considered changing my site to include shipping in the price, but I'm too honest to claim "free shipping" so i'd have to call it "includes shipping" or some other type of phrasing that's not insulting to anyone's intelligence.

I'm not sure I was clear, somehow, because that sounds like I could be tricked ... I don't even pay attention to what people write in the Ad Copy ...

I look at a cost, then I find out the quantity, and then I divide in my head and round up ... if I "want" it, I quickly pick the items by name and photo and GTFO as quickly as possible ...

Time is scarce.

I shop more readily, and regularly at places that allow me to store payment info. I know what it means from a sec perspective, and I don't care ... I've had to change out two cards this year already because of people skimming from the as pumps and ATM's all over town ... whatever ... here, store my shit so I don't have to fetch my wallet every time I want something, and I'll let the heuristics and algo's try to protect my account, LOL ...

The faster I can get what I want, the better.

What I want is to be gone ... to be able to close the tab and roll onward ...

A newsletter or emailer (since Google pretty much killed RSS by killing Google Reader, coupled w/ the loss of Aaron) for product discovery, and a really efficient shopping cart and I'm a happy shopper ...

I hate trying to compare products on a website ... back, forward, back, forward ... FFFUUUUU that ... When I'm there, it's because I was compelled elsewhere ... I know what I want, and I'm here/there to get it ...

Up-sell me w/ a value add, no problem, just make the biggest button or default be the opt-OUT and I'll switch to it if I'm game ...

I'm happy to click once, or press return once for you to have one chance to communicate w/ me before I pay ... "If you add one more bottle to your order, each bottle will costs $1 less, due to optimized shipping" ...

I'm sure you know the market very well, well beyond myself, but I'm going to assume most all people buying hot (hot by THP-scale definition) sauce respond favorably when it's impulsive...

If not, there should be two funnels ... one for pepperheads, and one for people who came to pick up liquid salsa for their grandparents or children, LOL ...
The Hot Pepper said:
The wording Free doesn't bother me. I'd say go for it. More sales, and a word customers like, even if it's worked into the cost. It's common these days.

when i see "free" shipping ... all that happens in my head is that i shop at face value ...

i love it ... it means i can add in my head as i add items to the cart, and not have to worry about what might happen at the end ... and when what happens is unfavorable, I don't have a good feeling ...

boo ...

and i hate the penny game for online, tax free selling ...

give me a nice round number, up is fine - whatever, and i'm all like ... click ... $5 ... i'll take one of those ... $10 ... oh, that looks good too ... $15 ...

i'm actually wondering if it's good to have them all in a bundle, too ... i think you might always want to have at least a single divide - a two bundles for the whole lot ...

i have no reason to come back now until i'm done w/ at least half of the bottles ...

also, if there's two bundles to make the catalogue, i can come back to shop in half the time, because i only need to use (in your case) two bottles not before I'm half done w/ the half the catalogue bundle ...

probably the only thing happening right here ... is i'm admonishing some mental illness on my part, but whatever ... hey, i exist ... there's probably at least one more of us ... well, I hope ...
* also, people are notoriously poor at counting by 9 ... better to make it $10/item and re-work it to be a free X for every Y type thing ...

grantmichaels said:
and i hate the penny game
It's so old a trick I'm surprised people still use it. I imagine at one time it insulted people's intelligence but it's too common now... 8.99 this 19.99 that... in the store here on THP I use whole numbers. The .99 is too tacky.

The Hot Pepper said:
It's so old a trick I'm surprised people still use it. I imagine at one time it insulted people's intelligence but it's too common now... 8.99 this 19.99 that... in the store here on THP I use whole numbers. The .99 is too tacky.

If I'm not mistaken (I've actually read quite a lot about the neurology of online buying/selling), it has the opposite-of-intended effect on smaller units than $25 ...

It improves conversion on $24.99 vs $25 ... $74.99 ... $99.99 ...

It was break even for $10 and $20, whether it affected conversion, and net-negative for $5 and $15 ...

I believe that. When you get into larger numbers you start shaving dollars instead of pennies, then hundreds, then thousands, 99,999... so you are actually saving with higher numbers as well as the perception of it looking a lot less.

This is why McD's has the Dollar Menu not the .99 menu. .99 still looks like a buck and they would lose millions per year with the volume they do.

All good points.

I tend to just do what feels right. Offering fair price & reasonable shipping costs feels right to me. Inflating the bottle price feels dishonest. Maybe I'm overthinking it but that's how it feels.

Maybe I'll change that some day but when
I shop for things I like to see what I'm paying on a per bottle basis.

The Hot Pepper said:
I believe that. When you get into larger numbers you start shaving dollars instead of pennies, then hundreds, then thousands, 99,999... so you are actually saving with higher numbers as well as the perception of it looking a lot less.

This is why McD's has the Dollar Menu not the .99 menu. .99 still looks like a buck and they would lose millions per year with the volume they do.

It's about "number places" ...

$1 is one slot ...

.99 is two slots

1.99 is three slot.

The biggest benefits are when the small change in price drops a slot, or better two ...

The dollar menu works because what people see in their mind is:

Back