• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I Felt Like a Bacon Cheeseburger....

So...
4 lbs, 2 oz...

Andouille bacon1.jpg

Thought I'd be cute and use an Andouille cure. 7 days in the beer fridge

Andouille bacon2.jpg

A good cold water rinse, a dusting of fresh ground pepper and 3 more hours with the IPAs

Andouille bacon3.jpg

Meathead and others were claiming +/- 2 hours @ 225F to an IT of 150F. This took 4. The coal burner was impeccably well behaved, considering the unit sat in a 25 mph gale...

Andouille bacon4.jpg

Andouille bacon5.jpg

Andouille bacon6.jpg

It only chilled an hour and I NEEDED a bacon cheeseburger, so she got sliced a little tick...

Andouille bacon7.jpg

I have a new knife sharpener ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KF8MKKJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) conveniently (and coincidentally?) being delivered today. Gonna need it. But this bacon is thee shit! Salty, savory, maybe a tisch overcured(?)...

Andouille bacon8.jpg

This is the stuff Homer Simpson is made of (a sixer of Duff wouldn't hurt)...Note I only applied a ketchup and mustard cap. Trying to keep the condiments simple. The Wagyu burger was  topped with a half inch of pepperjack...

Andouille bacon9.jpg

And yes, I save bacon grease.....

My next slab is going to incorporate a good dose of GIP's smoked Serrano powder. Just because. 

Well folks, my first home-cured bacon. Truly a joy! 

Ashen said:
You will never want to go back to store bought again. Nice burg!!

dragonsfire said:
LOL theirs nothing one would want to go back to store bought if you can make your own :)
Nice!

Heh, thanks guys, and yeah, one bite and I'm spoilt...Sausage is next on my list, though I got a really nice brisket that Big Mike has me inspired to inoculate...

This is also FRIKKIN' FUN!! :dance:  

Looks great, you have inspired me to do another batch, I have run out.

My last batch was close to 4.5 kg (which is close to 10 lb) and included venison bacon and chevon bacon as well as pork.

They were surprisingly good so don't be afraid to try something different.

stettoman said:

Heh, thanks guys, and yeah, one bite and I'm spoilt...Sausage is next on my list, though I got a really nice brisket that Big Mike has me inspired to inoculate...

This is also FRIKKIN' FUN!! :dance:  

you may find you like the smoke flavour more when you give it a day or two to equalize or longer.    vac pack , zip top or just wrap really well .

the smoke mellows and  slowly migrates from the outside towards the center. 

very important when doing something like cold smoked cheese in my experience. 

Awesome man!

dragonsfire said:
LOL theirs nothing one would want to go back to store bought if you can make your own :)
Nice!

I'm not afraid to admit when I can be outdone by a store, I enjoy buying certain things and making others.

Ashen said:
you may find you like the smoke flavour more when you give it a day or two to equalize or longer.    vac pack , zip top or just wrap really well .

the smoke mellows and  slowly migrates from the outside towards the center. 

very important when doing something like cold smoked cheese in my experience.
Great advice, thanks! I let the slab finish cooling and wrapped it tight in some Saran. I'll slice & vac it later today...

I got a lot to learn about slicing my own bacon...Did I tell you I really like it thick?!?

Andouille bacon10.jpg

My Henckel kitchen knife was plenty sharp, it really did try to glide through the slab, but the driver must've been a little 'runk...

Oh, but it's gonna eat just fine!!

Learnin' curve Bryan, learnin' curve.

Advice is great and wonderful and sometimes even remembered, but even little screwups are great lessons that stick....for some of us....

My meat guy told me that they cure their bacon for 2 days TOPS, otherwise it can be overpowered. Mine turned out really really really good, but pretty damned salty too...

Back