• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I got sproutage!

So, this is my first time growing peppers. I got my first sprouts 2 days ago. I checked my germination box to find some seedlings. Today there is 11 total coming up to count. I was afriad that I wasn't going to be successful because of temperature.

Quick question.... I put about 2-3 seeds per peat pellet thing and I was wondering if I HAVE to kill a seedling off or if it's OK to grow two off the same thing... Killing off pepper plants is not cool! lol

Also I don't have any grow lights, so I have to go with natural light. I know these babies wont fruit this year as I started way too late, but that's ok I can wait til next year. I might be buying some plants off of a local grower.

Whether your babies will fruit this year or not will depend upon a number of factors, but the most important is not when you started them, as if you started annuums, you will very likely get pods. You will likely get pods from any other variety, too, but the bigger question is whether they will ripen.

Keeping multiples in a single peat pellet isn't a really good thing. However, some people try to salvage the others by gently removing the "extras" and moving them to their own peat pellets.

If you're in SoCal, you should have days that are sunny and warm enough to start putting them outside now-ish. Make sure the temp is 50F or above, and be sure to harden them off first.

you may find that adequate soil, light, and water

will result in peppers actually occurring

if you are south of weed, ca there is a strong chance that even you can help this

happen, the little plants only know how to do one thing :lol:

As long as you get them when they're relatively young, it's usually pretty easy to carefully pull up extra seedlings and transfer them to their own pellets/pots. It becomes more difficult to avoid damaging the plants once their root systems have developed. You might lose a few in the process, but it's better than the alternative, because having multiple plants in close proximity will heavily stunt their growth.

I never plant more then one seed per pellet or small cup. Guess your gonna have to play God and leave the stronger one per pellet. Cut the weak

If your careful removing the seedling you'll find it works, I've done it many times. Chances are there will be some root damage, but as long as most of it is intact you should be OK. I transplant them right into "Pro Mix BX"…they just seem to thrive in that mix!!

I have never done it without the grow lights…you will find members here who have.

Well infortunately I had to buy regular potting mix from the store, it's not organic or anything... Hoping it's good enough. The germination box is outside been out since yesterday, getting some light but trying to keep it shaded. should I take the lid off, prop it open or what? still waiting for the rest to sprout.

I will try removing some of the extras in the next few days and put them in some cups or something. or is now the best time?

Thanx for all the info guys

Hey, congratulations! You're in the game.... :cool:

Since you got plenty sprouting, you should experiment with a couple and try seperating the double sprouts. First, thoroughly wet the peat pot. Cut, gently remove the little net if it has one. Then, take a sharp knife and cut down the middle between the two plants. Leave the soil around the roots in place.

Then, place each half in a larger container with drain holes, say around 3 or 4-inches across. Before the move, moisten potting soil in the container, leaving enough room for the incoming 1/2 peat pot. Once transplanted, put a little more moist soil around it and water it to settle everything. Admire your work!

If you don't like the knife idea, soak and then gently break the two apart with your fingers and pot as above.

For domes, personally, as soon as plants sprout, I get them out and under a decent light. But not direct sunlight.

Post pictures if you can and also give us a list of what you're growin, you'll get plenty of other free advice.... :cool:

Cool, I'll take your advice. I have some styro cups I can use. I am growing Orange Habs, Yellow bhuts, red 7pots another pepper i cannon remember and seeds from a weird hybrid plant. I couldn't label anything so I wont be able to tell what's what until they start fruiting.

Back