• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

condiment I hate sweet BBQ sauces

Barbecue sauce is so damn easy to make at home. Find a brand you kinda like, then just tweak the ingredients till it's the way you want it to be.

Same with dry rubs.

That may be true but he wanted to find retail products. Nothing wrong with that if they're good.

Boutros, what I do is this. Mix two parts Blues Hog sauce (sweet, thick and spicy) to one part Cowtown's Night of the Living Dead sauce (thinner, tomatoey and spicy). Makes a great finishing sauce that is just on the edge of too spicy for most folks. Of course you can always add some chile powder to heat it up a bit. When I use it in bbq competitions, I thin it about 50% with cherry juice and chicken stock, then use it as a glaze on the meat the last 15 minutes of cooking. It gets rave reviews.

LOL Sweet Baby Ray's, the first ingredient listed is corn syrup! Way too sweet for my tastes, I like em tangy with a medium sweet and a lot of
character.

Midwestchilehead, my apologies for the delayed response...  I was moving across/halfway across country at the time.  Never seen those sauces anywhere.  See you are still active-  how is the competition circuit going? 

Talk about a necro bump!!!!!

First of all, why do you want / need bbq sauce? It's generally the trick that butchers use to sell almost spoiled meat - cover it in sauce so it don't stink or look bad - and call it "marinated".

I grill a tomahawk, a picanha, a pig's neck, ribs, etc don't use bbq sauce at all. Salt and pepper for beef, nothing more. Maybe a bit of garlic for pork, in addition to the salt and pepper.

podz said:
Talk about a necro bump!!!!!

First of all, why do you want / need bbq sauce? It's generally the trick that butchers use to sell almost spoiled meat - cover it in sauce so it don't stink or look bad - and call it "marinated".

I grill a tomahawk, a picanha, a pig's neck, ribs, etc don't use bbq sauce at all. Salt and pepper for beef, nothing more. Maybe a bit of garlic for pork, in addition to the salt and pepper.

Yeah, was up too late and had a couple drinks and thought it'd be funny to respond to a comment that was perhaps a bit dated.

Full disclosure, nine years later-  I don't really "hate"  sweet bbq sauce now.  Was sorta uptight, your basic hater back then I guess.  If somebody likes it sweet, no skin off my back. 

I want/need bbq sauce for some stuff like I want/need hot sauce for some meals.  Just for general "condimentry" purposes.

Don't really use it on beef, will on grilled (not smoked) chicken as a finishing sauce.  Sometimes ribs (also when finishing) if they are not dry rubbed.  And like some with pulled pork.  Vinagary, Carolina style.

Never have marinated anything in straight up bbq sauce, pretty much all sauces would just burn- most have some sugar.  (OK maybe I did that one time) I know about the trick of marinating old meat and packaging for sale in a lot of stores and almost as a rule avoid them.   Some legit butcher shops turn out some pretty good premarinated tri-tips though.

Anyway, thanks all.  That ends this wall of text.  Gonna dig through this and try some of the recommendations that were posted.

No worries. Lately I have been finding those sauces at Ace Hardware stores or BBQ specialty shops. I don't really compete much anymore. The price of bbq competitions has gone through the roof with the rapid rise in the price of meat. On my modest government salary, I can't really afford to enter competitions that cost somewhere between $700-$1000 to cook! So now I mostly just judge one or two competitions a year. I still cook some pretty mean backyard bbq though ;-)

boutros said:
Midwestchilehead, my apologies for the delayed response...  I was moving across/halfway across country at the time.  Never seen those sauces anywhere.  See you are still active-  how is the competition circuit going? 

midwestchilehead said:
No worries. Lately I have been finding those sauces at Ace Hardware stores or BBQ specialty shops. I don't really compete much anymore. The price of bbq competitions has gone through the roof with the rapid rise in the price of meat. On my modest government salary, I can't really afford to enter competitions that cost somewhere between $700-$1000 to cook! So now I mostly just judge one or two competitions a year. I still cook some pretty mean backyard bbq though ;-)

Wow, why does it cost so much? Would you give a rough breakdown of the costs, please?

Rough Estimate of Costs to Compete in a BBQ Contest:

Entry Fee $200-300
Brisket $50-300
Pork Butts $20-60
Ribs $60-120
Chicken $25-50
Charcoal $40-80
Greens $20-40
Sauces & Rubs $20-80
Gas $40-180
Beer $30-90
Ice $20-40

As you can see, it adds up pretty quickly.

podz said:

Wow, why does it cost so much? Would you give a rough breakdown of the costs, please?

midwestchilehead said:

Entry Fee $200-300
Brisket $50-300
Pork Butts $20-60
Ribs $60-120
Chicken $25-50
Charcoal $40-80
Greens $20-40
Sauces & Rubs $20-80
Gas $40-180
Beer $30-90
Ice $20-40

I've watched a few BBQ PitMasters and noted the competitors had to bring everything.... Can see where it can cost a pretty penny!

midwestchilehead said:

Entry Fee $200-300
Brisket $50-300
Pork Butts $20-60
Ribs $60-120
Chicken $25-50
Charcoal $40-80
Greens $20-40
Sauces & Rubs $20-80
Gas $40-180
Beer $30-90
Ice $20-40

I think you're a little "light" on the beer. Just sayin'.

Back