• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I have a question about fish emulsion + Some other things.

Hello all. I had a concern about fish emulsion attracting cats. I was wondering if there was a fish emulsion that doesn't stink? I found hydrolized fish emulsion by neptune. My other thing is alaska fish emulsion is 5-1-1. Would the alaska be a better choice than the neptune? The neptune hydrolized fish emulsion seems to be a better all rounder because it has 2-4-1. or would the neptune hydrolized fish emulsion + Kelp would be even better? Thanks!

For my garden in #15 pots (7 1/2 gal.) I get wild cats crapping in them-thus digging up my starts.

My solution was to put a TON of $.99 cent store mouse traps Upside down in my pots.
When a cat gets in a pot,the trap goes off,since it's upside down it hops up in the air,makes a snapping sound...
Ever seen a cat jumping up in the air,while crapping?
Funny as heck.
After a while they don't even come close to my garden.
Don't even have to set the traps anymore,they see them and stay away.

I use only Alaska brand fish juice.Other brands haven't worked for me as well.
I use Seaweed extract with it.
Seaweed needs watching,easy to mess up using it.Burns my plants at times.
I never use the mixture on the label-a LOT less.
I also think different brands Might contain more salt than others.

As far as fish juice goes,read the label,several of them add Urea to it to up the nitrogen.
Urea is very nasty,it is easy to burn your plants with it.
One time it might do great,another time it sucks.
Probably has to do with growing conditions-soil PH ,plant stage etc.

The sodium level is high in fish emulsion so make sure what you use it on can take that, I found Peruvian Seabird Guano to be much better and my plants have been LOVING it! And I tried both. However I suck at growing pepper plants, so I am talking about other plants FYI.

PS. Cats and dogs (and raccoons) don't crave bird poop. They do dead fish!

The Hot Pepper said:
The sodium level is high in fish emulsion so make sure what you use it on can take that, I found Peruvian Seabird Guano to be much better and my plants have been LOVING it! And I tried both. However I suck at growing pepper plants, so I am talking about other plants FYI.
Whoa!!! Out of left field.

Do you just top dress with the Guano?

Yes and tea, in a gallon milk jug it dissolves fast.

Super lush greens and growth, and even flowering from a shrub that was always lacklustre, I credit the PSG.

I'm using Alaska this year. I fed all my plants in the GH then went to check them later. I was almost knocked out by the smell, but the plants seem to like it ;)

That's an interesting point about cats. In all the years I've used fish fertilizers I have never (I think) attracted a cat. Chester comes into my yard regardless and cleans up on chipmunks and mice. And bunnies, according to my neighbor.

ako1974 said:
I'm using Alaska this year. I fed all my plants in the GH then went to check them later. I was almost knocked out by the smell, but the plants seem to like it ;)

That's an interesting point about cats. In all the years I've used fish fertilizers I have never (I think) attracted a cat. Chester comes into my yard regardless and cleans up on chipmunks and mice. And bunnies, according to my neighbor.
I have never minded the smell, it's a little strong when I'm mixing it up. But other than that it fine to me...I'm also using it outside in open air.

It always kind of reminds me of being at the boat launch. Before you get out on the water, and the wind is blowing, and there's that slightly fishy, sea-smelling, salty air...I actually find it a bit pleasant. I guess they do say that smell is the sense most closely tied to memory.

smokemaster said:
For my garden in #15 pots (7 1/2 gal.) I get wild cats crapping in them-thus digging up my starts.

My solution was to put a TON of $.99 cent store mouse traps Upside down in my pots.
When a cat gets in a pot,the trap goes off,since it's upside down it hops up in the air,makes a snapping sound...
Ever seen a cat jumping up in the air,while crapping?
Funny as heck.

Hahaha lmao! What a funny thing to imagine.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Growing a garden is a trade-off.  Nobody gets an easy ride.  Yes, it smells.  But it makes stuff grow good.  Pick your battle...
If anyone here can figure out how to get everything they want out of their gardening experience, please post it up.  I'm still struggling to achieve gardening zen, myself...

I my raised bed and growbags; Alaska Fish and Alaska Seaweed for me.

I dilute to 80% of the recommended concentration and feed weekly.

alkhall said:
I my raised bed and growbags; Alaska Fish and Alaska Seaweed for me.

I dilute to 80% of the recommended concentration and feed weekly.

I used that on my indoor grow and only once :) I do use both outside along with a dried kelp that breaks down great in a gallon of water. 

solid7 said:
Growing a garden is a trade-off.  Nobody gets an easy ride.  Yes, it smells.  But it makes stuff grow good.  Pick your battle...
If anyone here can figure out how to get everything they want out of their gardening experience, please post it up.  I'm still struggling to achieve gardening zen, myself...

Solid that's what I actually like most about gardening, I learn something new every year. Well, usually many new things/make observations. The next year, I try to incorporate at least one lesson learned from the previous year (while hopefully not forgetting the two-years-ago lesson learned :) ).

I have lots of gardening zen! When I'm in me garden, making observations, harvesting, whatever, I'm soooooo happy I'm not sitting behind a desk in Manhattan (where I sit and think about my garden). When a plant fails, sure I get a little p!ssed (and I have plenty of failures). But I plant so much excess of everything, it all works out in the end. One year I remember it was so quiet I heard a hornworm eating a tomato plant. I searched and finally found it, but I couldn't even kill it because it was pretty cool (plus I have braconid wasps on patrol doing their thing with the hornworms).

What's that saying: time spent in the garden isn't deducted from the end of your life? So true.

Happy gardening! Bring on the fish guts!

I agree with you 100%.   But we make trades.  Your worm/wasp example was proof. 
My brother-in-law lives in Manhattan, and I'm in your neighborhood 2-3X a year.  (just got back 2 weeks ago, in fact)  Love me some Gasoline Alley coffee and lamb curry noodles at Xian's Famous Foods... (actually, don't get me started on food in Manhattan)   Next time I'm up that way, we should do a seed/plant swap.

The Hot Pepper said:

If the sodium level is so high in fish emulsion why not just use black kow manure? Or something in place of the guano? do you have any ideas?

Codeman said:
If the sodium level is so high in fish emulsion why not just use black kow manure? Or something in place of the guano? do you have any ideas?

My idea is the Peruvian Seabird Guano it's 12-10-3. I didn't say it was "so" high anyway, but it is made from fish carcass from the sea and I read an independent study on the sodium content. If you use it as directed it should be fine but some people tend to overuse products like this (like me) and I'd rather be safe with overuse. First year using it and everything loves it.

Back