I have a question about fish emulsion + Some other things.

The Hot Pepper said:

My idea is the Peruvian Seabird Guano it's 12-10-3. I didn't say it was "so" high anyway, but it is made from fish carcass from the sea and I read an independent study on the sodium content. If you use it as directed it should be fine but some people tend to overuse products like this (like me) and I'd rather be safe with overuse. First year using it and everything loves it.

So would black kow manure be better than hydrolyzed fish and kelp emulsion?

No idea man, I'm just throwing 2 cents in on PSG, it's "the shit" ;)

Codeman said:

So would black kow manure be better than hydrolyzed fish and kelp emulsion?

Manures to use, in order of their safeness, and purity: (is there a purity scale for shit?) 
1) Rabbit
2) Sheep 
3) Horse
4) Cow
You might find some other exotic mammals that do just as well - I don't know - but those are the order that I would use them in, based on diet, and salt levels.
Calcium is used to displace sodium, so if you have any fears about what you're putting into your garden, get a good soluble calcium solution in there. (back to the eggshells and vinegar concoction - the other stuff is too expensive)  Obviously, don't overdo calcium, either.  No more than 2Tbsp per gallon of a fully neutralized eggshell/vinegar solution. (calcium acetate)

solid7 said:

Manures to use, in order of their safeness, and purity: (is there a purity scale for shit?) 
1) Rabbit
2) Sheep 
3) Horse
4) Cow
You might find some other exotic mammals that do just as well - I don't know - but those are the order that I would use them in, based on diet, and salt levels.
Calcium is used to displace sodium, so if you have any fears about what you're putting into your garden, get a good soluble calcium solution in there. (back to the eggshells and vinegar concoction - the other stuff is too expensive)  Obviously, don't overdo calcium, either.  No more than 2Tbsp per gallon of a fully neutralized eggshell/vinegar solution. (calcium acetate)

Burpees tomato and veggie fertilizer has 5% calcium. which i think is plenty. I was just looking at other options besides hydrolyzed fish and kelp emulsion. Let me know if you can think of anything.

Codeman said:

Burpees tomato and veggie fertilizer has 5% calcium. which i think is plenty. I was just looking at other options besides hydrolyzed fish and kelp emulsion. Let me know if you can think of anything.

Malted barley powder as a topdress weekly

Codeman said:

My comment about calcium was strictly in regards to negating any unwanted effects of excess sodium.  Like I said, calcium displaces sodium...  When you have high sodium, it's not about nutrition, at that point.  Use the calcium in your fertilizer to feed your plants, and preferably, pick your manure or compost in such a way that you don't have to worry about anything else.

solid7 said:

My comment about calcium was strictly in regards to negating any unwanted effects of excess sodium.  Like I said, calcium displaces sodium...  When you have high sodium, it's not about nutrition, at that point.  Use the calcium in your fertilizer to feed your plants, and preferably, pick your manure or compost in such a way that you don't have to worry about anything else.

Ah ok I see. I saw rabbit manure but it is pricey looking i think. Curious, what is your choice of plant pot container for your peppers? I thought a 5 gallon lowes bucket might be too big for a pepper plant.

Codeman said:

Ah ok I see. I saw rabbit manure but it is pricey looking i think. Curious, what is your choice of plant pot container for your peppers? I thought a 5 gallon lowes bucket might be too big for a pepper plant.

On the contrary, it's a perfect size...  But I always say, use a food grade bucket.  Free from your local bakery, deli, etc.  Those Lowes buckets are poison...  They smell nasty, and leach God knows what.  

solid7 said:

On the contrary, it's a perfect size...  But I always say, use a food grade bucket.  Free from your local bakery, deli, etc.  Those Lowes buckets are poison...  They smell nasty, and leach God knows what.  

Oh I see. I wanted to know what ph do peppers like? Do all my peppers that are mammoth jalapeno,mexibelle,coolapeno, tabasco peppers like acidic ph? If so what number? I was worried about the just natural mushroom compost being a bad thing for it?

Malted barley is high in amylase enzymes and readily available at nearly any brewing supply shop. The enzymes convert starch to sugar. It can be bought in a powdered form also but it must be diastatic if you want them to be active. The malt powder though is very high in fermentable sugars.

Korean markets offer a similar product that also contains some yeasts and other bacteria including Lacto B. Its used for making a weak rice wine known as makgeolli. Its a starter culture call nuruk

solid7 said:
I agree with you 100%.   But we make trades.  Your worm/wasp example was proof. 
My brother-in-law lives in Manhattan, and I'm in your neighborhood 2-3X a year.  (just got back 2 weeks ago, in fact)  Love me some Gasoline Alley coffee and lamb curry noodles at Xian's Famous Foods... (actually, don't get me started on food in Manhattan)   Next time I'm up that way, we should do a seed/plant swap.
Cool  :dance:

I dont add anything like that to my plants. I do add "leftovers" from my brewing and wine making to compost though. The wine lees are full of them little critters :D

Amylase enzyme is the enzyme in diastic malt powder that converts starch to sugar. Regular malt powder (DME) aka Dry Malt Extract is full of sugar (mostly maltose). Im not exactly sure which one he is talking about or if he is talking about grinding malted barley into a flour. Ground malted barley is more or less diastic malt powder.

My brew shop has a grinder right by the malted grains. Dump it in and you got a coarse powder.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I dont add anything like that to my plants. I do add "leftovers" from my brewing and wine making to compost though. The wine lees are full of them little critters :D

Amylase enzyme is the enzyme in diastic malt powder that converts starch to sugar. Regular malt powder (DME) aka Dry Malt Extract is full of sugar (mostly maltose). Im not exactly sure which one he is talking about or if he is talking about grinding malted barley into a flour. Ground malted barley is more or less diastic malt powder.

My brew shop has a grinder right by the malted grains. Dump it in and you got a coarse powder.

Well which one should i get? maybe you got a better thing for further fertilization besides relying on burpees tomato and veggie fertilizer?

Codeman said:

Well which one should i get? maybe you got a better thing for further fertilization besides relying on burpees tomato and veggie fertilizer?

For what you're doing now, keep it simple.  This is gonna go off the rails, if we let it.  Until somebody posts a thread about the other stuff, it's just men in lab coats talk.  Fish and fertilizer works - guaranteed.  Lots of peeps around here to testify.
Try not to chase every tangent - your clock is ticking, get growing...

Back