• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I have a question about sprouts

So... I've got 4-5 sprouts(two 7 pot and a bhut, 2 golden habs) that the sprouts came out and the seed(husk?) is still on the top of the sprout.
Do I need to do anything ? I'm afraid to mess with them because I don't have any more seeds to replace them. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :twisted:

Just leave it alone, seedlings do funny things when they're first sprouting. I had one seedling wear the seed cap until the cotys folded into eachother like a bow on a gift box. It eventually popped off and all was well. That plant is 7 months old now and covered in flowers.

I know people have had success using nail clippers and such, but personally I just let them do their thing. A seed cap ain't gonna stop most plants that want to grow.

Leave it alone and if after awhile the seed helmet doesnt want to fall off by itself. you can very carefully pull it off with tweezers

Thanks everyone, I was just freakin out I guess cause I don't have seeds to replace them there sprouts. Hopefully the seed train pulls in here soon then maybe I wouldn't care so much (but probably still would lol.) :doh:

I’m a clipper, usually about 1/3 of all my seedlings requires some assistance with at least a 95+% success rate. Keep in mind that this procedure is not for everyone!!

Sounds like you need to plants seeds a bit deeper

Not possible.

I truly respect your chili wisdom and in my opinion one of the great minds on the forum. I germinate my seedlings in plastic deli cups because I don't have the patients to do it any other way. I'm someone who needs frequent status updates on who is performing and whose not. Besides my germ rates are much better than any other method I've used thus far and OK with the inconvenience for the time being.

I enjoy micromanaging the seedling process – makes me feel closer to them.

Back