• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I need pots!

After a bit of research I ended up getting 60 of the 2.5 gallon pots from http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/ even after shipping it came out to be a lot cheaper then getting them locally because of the taxes anyway. Not very thick, but I like them better then the bags for about the same price.

I have been using grow bags and they work great, and alot cheaper. I pay about 60 cents for a 5 gal grow bag. And most hydro stores carry them even cheaper.

That looks like a good deal, thank you for the link, i didn't know where to start.

Does 2.5 gal allow the plants to get to full growth, or does it hamper them?

I dunno what size i even have right now, probably 1 gal. 5 seems like it may be too big... but if i have to leave some in pots i would want them to have room to be happy. :)

I have some in 5 gal pots that need to be repotted for what its worth. And they were moved from a 1 gal to a 5 gal in may.

well,as bad as this may sound,I'll bet you can find as many as you need and all different sizes in peoples garbage.I pick up recycling and find pots all day long.

This is my first year growing and so far they are doing ok in the 2.5 gallon pots. I made my purchase based on the amount of space I had so I just got the 2.5 gallon. If I had more room for 50 5 gallon pots I would have probably gotten that size. I figure by the time they get big enough to need repotting the season will be over for me anyway. I agree on the recycling. I actually picked up about 5-6 5 gallon plus pots from neighbors moving. Had I actually been looking I couldn't imagine how much good stuff I could have found!

I figured that they would outgrow the 5gal too, that doesn't surprise me at all, I just needed some confirmation of that.

Thankfully, the weather here permits me to put these peppers in the ground and they survive winter, so no big deal, ill probably get some smaller sizes. The 5 gal will cost more to fill up with dirt anyway.

The recycling here passes very early in the morning, I don't really see alot of people planting things though around my neighborhood anyway though, I checked the local craigslist but no body has any either. :(

Do those bags hold up well RDS? I know pots eventually crack and such, what do these do? Tear with time?

Another place to get them is from landscapers after they finish a job. Its one less thing they have to dispose of, and most of the time they will give them to you for free.

peppercrazy said:
I figured that they would outgrow the 5gal too, that doesn't surprise me at all, I just needed some confirmation of that.

Thankfully, the weather here permits me to put these peppers in the ground and they survive winter, so no big deal, ill probably get some smaller sizes. The 5 gal will cost more to fill up with dirt anyway.

The recycling here passes very early in the morning, I don't really see alot of people planting things though around my neighborhood anyway though, I checked the local craigslist but no body has any either. :(

Do those bags hold up well RDS? I know pots eventually crack and such, what do these do? Tear with time?

I have forund some that are thing that I ordered off the net. But the ones I got from a local hydro store are thick. I can pick the bag up by the top edges and its full of dirt and the plant, and there is not any stretching of the bag.

Not a heck of a lot of landscaping going on around here recently, but I'll keep my eye out, that's a good idea.

Surprising to me that the bags are so tough, I think I might go with those, I imagine they take up less space when not in use. And my pots always seem to crack.

I use recycled pots! just be sure to wash well!

-Nurseries are best source with there old pots.....
-Sims Plastic recyclers, or plastic recycle centers - have been VERY kind to me.
-Forestry companies - have also been great source of small pots. ( when replanting)
-The garbage TIP seconds shop - if you are really keen to recycle ;)
Just to name a few ...:lol:

chilliman said:
I use recycled pots! just be sure to wash well!

-Nurseries are best source with there old pots.....

+1

I bought about 175 5 gallon containers from a local nursery that were $1.00 each. They are heavy duty and should last for several years. The 5 gallon blow mold containers I bought last year are thin plastic and not very sturdy/durable.

I suggest you check with your local nursery and see if they have any "used" pots.

Last year, I bought 60 5-gallon pots, both hard and the softer plastic, for 20¢ each.

This year, I'm almost all in the dirt and the plants are doing much better, plus I have had to water the garden only twice (and both times it ended up raining the next day!).

Mike

I'm with ebk on recycled pots, might not all be the perfect size or shape but you can find plenty of useful pots. Our town has a city-wide cleanup in the spring and so many people toss all of their nursery pots, etc. We found so many this spring we didn't buy any new ones. Be sure to clean them well!!!! before using as a planter.

Back