• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I review the Giant Mexican Rocoto Pepper from Pepperlover.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gigUi_TDGJc

These video reviews arn't my thing but I thought this pepper and Pepperlover deserved some recognition.
I was very excited to try this pepper as they are pretty rare and have heard good things about them. The pepper is very dense and has a distinct fruity smell to it. It has thick juicy walls that hold up to cooking quite well and  it gives a nice juicy crunch when eaten fresh. A great pepper for stuffing with a blunt bottom so the pepper will sit nicely on a plate. This rocoto has a nice fruity flavor and a little sweeter and fruitier tasting than a bell but with about twice as much heat as a jalapeno. I think this pepper has the potential to make the best salsa ever. Definitely going to grow this one this year just for that. Thank you Judy!

The best all-around group of peppers, IMHO. Brilliant powders, too, Judy! I haven`t done smoked powders with pubescens, but I hear tell they rock from Smokemaster. 

I have about 12 different ones to grow, so just ordered a few more pubescens seeds. Just in case!!!

We can grow them year round here, but they hate the middle of summer. Gotta figure that one out this season. 

Thank you Judy they were delicious! I can't wait to grow them and make all sorts of yummy food with them. I was planning on growing 3 jalapeno plants and one of these but I think I am going to only grow two jalapenos now lol. I didn't even think of that Nigel. I am now imagining how tasty these would be smoked slowly over some applewood.

Nigel said:
The best all-around group of peppers, IMHO. Brilliant powders, too, Judy! I haven`t done smoked powders with pubescens, but I hear tell they rock from Smokemaster. 

I have about 12 different ones to grow, so just ordered a few more pubescens seeds. Just in case!!!

We can grow them year round here, but they hate the middle of summer. Gotta figure that one out this season. 

yes Mike sent me some smoked Rocoto powders, they were amazing.
i agree the rocoto needs different growing conditions than the rest of the peppers.

PepperLover said:
Nice review 
this pepper is one of the best for stuffing as you said 
also i made some pickles, they were very good too.
i need to try them in powders and see how they turn. 

thank you for sharing 
hey judy how did you pickle them?

I've used this recipe with good results.  It can be hot packed with hot brine and boiling water bath for pantry storage, or I've cooled the brine and cold packed, keep refrigerated.   Any chiles or veggies can be substituted as long as the general weight measurements are kept about the same.   

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09314.html
Pickled Peppers
  • 2 pounds Hungarian or banana peppers*
  • 2 pounds sweet peppers (in strips)*
  • 1 pound cherry peppers*
  • 1 Jalapeno per jar (if desired for hotness)
  • 1 clove garlic per jar
  • 6 cups vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon pickling salt
  • 1 tablespoon sugar, if desired
*Note: May use a variety of peppers to equal 5 pounds (4 quarts).
Yield: Makes 7 to 8 pints

To review the steps of packing, sealing and processing pickled products, see fact sheet 9.304, Making Pickles at Home. For information on canning chili, pimentos or other pepper products see 9.348, Canning Vegetables.

Procedure: Wash peppers. Small peppers may be left whole with two small slits in each pepper. Core and cut large peppers into strips. Pack one clove garlic and a variety of peppers tightly into clean, hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
Combine vinegar, water, salt and sugar. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Pour hot pickling solution over peppers, leaving 1/4-inch headspace.
Remove air bubbles. Readjust headspace to 1/4 inch. Wipe jar rims. Add pre-treated lids and process in boiling water for the time specified for your altitude and jar size. For best flavor, store jars five to six weeks before opening.

"I think this pepper has the potential to make the best salsa ever."

I added these to a salsa that I thought could not have been improved on. Boy was I wrong! These things turned a great salsa into a sensational salsa! I am a new fan of the Rocoto's. Good review.

PepperLover said:
Nice review 
this pepper is one of the best for stuffing as you said 
also i made some pickles, they were very good too.
i need to try them in powders and see how they turn. 
thank you for sharing 
Are you going to have these for sale this year? Read and heard nothing but good things so would like to try some at some stage.

Back