• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

organic I think I've found the best Organic Pesticide

This year has been up and down with various critter attacks and the last few weeks I've seen an amazing increase in white flies.  Its a cloud you can't breath through when plants get disturbed.  Melon leaves as well as others have looked fine until I looked under them while picking cucumbers last week.  I hit them with two big box store organics from Montery brands and I think it made them multiply.  Went this route and they are looking to be all gone now.  It came recommended from a large nursery as what they use and it does the trick for sure.  Even smells good.

Called essentria IC3
http://www.zoecon.com/uploads/products/Essentria_IC3_label.pdf

Read ingredients, technically mineral oil may be considered inorganic but many home brew recipes call for it and use it as organic.  Close enough for me since I was considering Malathion at this point. 

Seems like it's fine to me, mineral oil is about the only thing that sounds iffy. It's a petroleum by product from refining. I believe it can be made from corn though as well and there is food grade mineral oil. Think baby oil, The other stuff is fine.

After hearing all the good stuff about azamax I have some of that on order for the inevitable aphid outbreak. It's certainly not organic. 

a) it's NOT organic. I may list some ingredients that are natural, but that's not the same as "organic", especially considering the major ingredient is most likely mineral oil (a petroleum distillate)

b) the instructions state to cover food or food processing areas, so not sure I'd want to use it on a plant with pods........

I'm just going off of the fact that it says that is it for ornamental and it doesn't mention about using it on fruits and vegetables.
Also, as cloose stated, it says to cover food while spraying.
One more bad thing is that this stuff does kill beneficial insects including bees.

I use this with great results for white flies and aphids. It's also a mineral oil spray, but it specifically says it's for organic use on vegetables, shade trees, ornamentals, etc. It comes in a spray bottle that hooks up to the hose and mixes as you spray. Works great. 

I don't think I'd be using anything on my peppers that says I should cover food processing equipment first.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Seasons-Concentrate-Control-1-Gallon/dp/B000FOONE0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=19RNZJFGCMT4R3AVEPA1

And just to clear things up a bit for anyone freaking out over mineral oil being derived from petroleum..... is petroleum not natural? Vaseline is a petroleum derivative that people smear on their lips all the time. I wouldn't sweat it.

Phil said:
I use this with great results for white flies and aphids. It's also a mineral oil spray, but it specifically says it's for organic use on vegetables, shade trees, ornamentals, etc. It comes in a spray bottle that hooks up to the hose and mixes as you spray. Works great. 

I don't think I'd be using anything on my peppers that says I should cover food processing equipment first.

http://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Seasons-Concentrate-Control-1-Gallon/dp/B000FOONE0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_86_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=19RNZJFGCMT4R3AVEPA1

And just to clear things up a bit for anyone freaking out over mineral oil being derived from petroleum..... is petroleum not natural? Vaseline is a petroleum derivative that people smear on their lips all the time. I wouldn't sweat it.
not just the lips either ! lol

moruga welder said:
not just the lips either ! lol

Ya see, I was TRYING SO HARD to not go there... lol.

I see in the Bonide spray, it lists mineral oil as the active ingredient and in the Essential, it lists peppermint and rosemary oils as active with 83% mineral as "other".... not sure how that makes a difference, but it apparently does.

Phil said:

Also looks promising and its "Organic" however... 
I think it has the dreaded dihydrogen monoxide in it thus the warning.

Label says...

"Do not apply this product in any way that it will contact other persons or pets,
either directly or through drift. Keep other persons out of the treated area during
application. Do not allow persons or pets to enter the treated area until sprays have dried"

Phil said:

Ya see, I was TRYING SO HARD to not go there... lol.

I see in the Bonide spray, it lists mineral oil as the active ingredient and in the Essential, it lists peppermint and rosemary oils as active with 83% mineral as "other".... not sure how that makes a difference, but it apparently does.
couldn't help myself , had to seize the moment ! lol     :onfire:

Nuclieye said:

Also looks promising and its "Organic" however... 
I think it has the dreaded dihydrogen monoxide in it thus the warning.

Label says...

"Do not apply this product in any way that it will contact other persons or pets,
either directly or through drift. Keep other persons out of the treated area during
application. Do not allow persons or pets to enter the treated area until sprays have dried"

Something tells me they all have some kind of warning similar to that. This much I can promise.... if you see a product that says it's safe to let your kids drink it and bathe in it, then it won't work for squat when it comes to killing bugs.

moruga welder said:
couldn't help myself , had to seize the moment ! lol     :onfire:

I completely understand. Ha!

Dr.Pepper said:
I'm just going off of the fact that it says that is it for ornamental and it doesn't mention about using it on fruits and vegetables.
Also, as cloose stated, it says to cover food while spraying.
One more bad thing is that this stuff does kill beneficial insects including bees.

Fear mongering aside, which ingredient is toxic to pollenators?

Is it that scary word Polyglyceryl Oleate ? An emulsifier derived from coconut, olive, etc oil? Instead of fearing hard to pronounce words, look them up. You'll generally find they're innocuous.

Oleic acids can effect pollenators. But then no insecticidal solution should be sprayed when pollenators are active. That should almost go without saying.

Really ticks me off when the organic peanut gallery pops into a thread to piss on something, but never bother to back up their baseless statements with fact.

It's a beefed up version of mineral oil. I think you'll find almost every insecticide, no matter organic or conventional, comes with warnings not to use on mammals or foodstuffs. In this case, the recommendation against spraying foodstuffs refered to food processing facilities, not plants growing fruit. Reading and understanding are not the same thing. Essential oils are rarely healthy to injest and many cause skin sensitivity. Even neem, the darling of organic fanatics, will kill the shit out of you if eaten, and cause serious health issues if applied topically.

A little common sense is needed (which seems sparse among the Chicken Littles). When using oil sprays, one should already be encorporating straight water and soap applications to remove residue and prevent build up. Washing harvested fruit recently sprayed with oil seems a no-brainer.

Glad you stood your ground Nuclieye. I've made a few solutions like this and find them highly effective. Though when playing around with homemade mineral oil solutions, not all oil is equal and some are incredibly phytotoxic. Not so relevant here, but good to mention.

Dihydrogen monoxide sums it up pretty well :D Be afraid of everything you can't pronounce without using a few brain cells. Fear is our darling baby, ignorance the rock we stand upon..

miguelovic said:

Dihydrogen monoxide sums it up pretty well :D Be afraid of everything you can't pronounce without using a few brain cells. Fear is our darling baby, ignorance the rock we stand upon..

You bring up a good point. Even the most rigid organic growers who refuse to use chemical treatments douse their plants in chemicals all the time.... dihydrogen monoxide is indeed a chemical. One that happens to be the most necessary for sustaining all life.

Phil said:

You bring up a good point. Even the most rigid organic growers who refuse to use chemical treatments douse their plants in chemicals all the time.... dihydrogen monoxide is indeed a chemical. One that happens to be the most necessary for sustaining all life.

Yup, too much of it will kill everything, too little will render the same results.

A day later now from my attack with this horrid creation of oils and all I have left bug wise is a vastly reduced number of adult whiteflies when I was picking cucumbers and peppers this morning.  Brought a few infested leaves inside to look at under the microscope and nymphs are all dead.  Will spray another time tomorrow for any new eggs and see how the adults start to dwindle off.

This brand does work!

miguelovic said:

Fear mongering aside, which ingredient is toxic to pollenators?

Is it that scary word Polyglyceryl Oleate ? An emulsifier derived from coconut, olive, etc oil? Instead of fearing hard to pronounce words, look them up. You'll generally find they're innocuous.

Oleic acids can effect pollenators. But then no insecticidal solution should be sprayed when pollenators are active. That should almost go without saying.

Really ticks me off when the organic peanut gallery pops into a thread to piss on something, but never bother to back up their baseless statements with fact.

It's a beefed up version of mineral oil. I think you'll find almost every insecticide, no matter organic or conventional, comes with warnings not to use on mammals or foodstuffs. In this case, the recommendation against spraying foodstuffs refered to food processing facilities, not plants growing fruit. Reading and understanding are not the same thing. Essential oils are rarely healthy to injest and many cause skin sensitivity. Even neem, the darling of organic fanatics, will kill the shit out of you if eaten, and cause serious health issues if applied topically.

A little common sense is needed (which seems sparse among the Chicken Littles). When using oil sprays, one should already be encorporating straight water and soap applications to remove residue and prevent build up. Washing harvested fruit recently sprayed with oil seems a no-brainer.

Glad you stood your ground Nuclieye. I've made a few solutions like this and find them highly effective. Though when playing around with homemade mineral oil solutions, not all oil is equal and some are incredibly phytotoxic. Not so relevant here, but good to mention.

First of all, I am not part of the "Organic peanut gallery". I have no problem with chemical use in the garden as long as it is the correct chemicals and used properly.
Second, I didn't "back up their baseless statements with fact" because the info is in the link the the original poster put in this thread. 
Third, you are correct, "Reading and understanding are not the same thing". But I'm certain that I did read AND  understand (did you?) where it states on the link provided by the original poster, page three under the heading OUTDOOR USE                                                                           
PERIMETER TREATMENTS AND RECREATIONAL AREAS: To control aphids, ants, bees, boxelder bugs, centipedes, cockroaches, crickets, darkling beetles, firebrats, fleas, ground beetles, fowl mites, mites, millipedes, pillbugs, silverfish, sowbugs, spiders, ticks and wasps.

Bees are pollinators, correct?

As far as your last sentence, there is no real purpose for it and it does not help your argument in any way. It was just added to be a jerk. I can pronounce it and I am a reasonably intelligent man so screw you buddy.

You misspelled referred, ingest, incorporating once each and pollinators twice.

Back