• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

ID pepper from blossoms?

I got a hot pepper seed packet with 5 varieties; Hungarian Wax, Anaheim Chili, Long Slim Red Cayenne, Ancho (Poblano) and Jalapeno M. Can anyone tell me which, if any, is in the pic below? This is my first garden and I'm concerned I'm letting a flowering weed take over my garden!

The blossoms are white and trumpet shaped. When they fall off, they leave a very tiny, prickly nub. I'm hoping those nubs start looking more like a pepper soon. The plant is really crowding out the rest of my garden, so if it ain't a pepper plant, I want to rip it out so the other plants can do better.

Sorry for the poor quailty camera phone shot, hopefullly it is enough to get an ID.

That is NOT a pepper.

That looks like a Datura plant to me. Otherwise known as moonflower, and some other stuff. Theres lots of varieties. It is highly toxic so keep away from kids and animals!!! Also if you rip it out I'd use gloves just to be safe, and don't toss it into your fireplace :P

Cool looking plants though.

:welcome:

Ugh! Thanks for the quick reply. I started to lose hope when I couldn't find a single pepper plant with that type of blossom.

Spot on ID. My plant is identical to the plant here;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datura_stramonium

We made some tea out of that flower and had a punk rock show for my friends birthday, people were tripping out after drinking the tea. After looking at the link i think the stuff that the tea was made out of was called angels trumpet.

I admit I considered trying it. :halo:

I do wonder how it found it's way into my garden. I can't find any growning in the area so I suppose it did come in the seed packet? Or I guess a tripping bird might've pooped it out.

Wow, you've just got these coming up and I had to actually plant mine. lol.... (we like the flowers, they bloom mostly at night and perfume the air.) I will caution you to absolutely DO NOT INGEST THIS under any circumstances--- for look and scent only!!!... It's pretty dangerous stuff, could cause a heart attack. Just putting that out there. lol....

Back