• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

If you could only grow ONE pepper what would it be?

My answer will probably always be the cayenne. Really enjoy a lot of the new peppers I am growing this year, and a lot of the ones I have grown for many years, but I have to go cayenne. Can't help it, I am a creole kind of guy.

+1

There are probably more interesting varieties but i cant live in my kitchen without some cayenne types.
Nepali i've grown this year is great.

Cya

Datil

Got to be poblano every time, just about to harvest this years modest crop(weather in the UK this year has not been chilli friendly) and can't wait to cook with them, best for all round flavour.

I'll vote for a chiltepin

Man, I looked everywhere for a chiltepin plant this year and couldn't get one. My cousin lives in South Texas and said "oh they grow like weeds around the garden we just pull them out".............. !!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

I haven't tried some of the crazy hot strains yet. Grew a hab this year and have yet to see a pod come off of it.

My favorite that I've grown and ate so far has to be the Kung Pao. 100's of pods and when they turn red they have a sweet punch to them.

I'm growing a Sonoran Chiltepin this year and it is my new favorite. It's fun to grow a wild native pepper, they pack a decent amount of heat and are fun to snack on when you see them ripe. I only grew two plants but even with these two I noticed some variation in heat levels and slightly different flavors, which is fun to experience as well.

Have your cousin send you a few ripe pods if he finds them around somewhere!

I actually agree with Silver Surfer! Their flavor is exceptional and useful in so many ways, Outside of that, Orange Thai probably as I use them endlessly.

Chris

I'm going to give a +1 for the Orange Thai. They have incredible flavor and just the right balance of heat, not to mention incredibly prolific. If I were exclusively making sauces and powders though, I would probably pick the Fatali.

Back