• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

If you could visit Africa, what seed would you look for?

Rory, yep.  There, the stuff is nothing special when in small chunks.  A large amount of bog oak gets burnt in power plants along with the bog peat.  All I need are chunks large enough to carve into knife handles n sword hilts.  Here, Nutella and Toblerone are nothing special.  Was talking with someone that I think was in the Netherlands who said Velveeta was impossible to get there.  I remember when I was in the Army, the PX only imported one type of menthol cigarette.  When it was Kools, you could get a fortune for Newports  When it was Newports, you could get a fortune for Kools.

I think a lot of it is people want a taste of home.  If I remember right, the guy from Ireland was originally from Germany.  The guy who wants Velveeta wants to make mac n cheese.

I only ask because I thought bog oak was expensive and hard to get and then to ship it across the pond. Ah well, awesome!
I like what your doing with it tho, you got some photo s?

Ask them to go out and find that one pepper that hasn't been harvested and shipped all over the world yet...... Hey I can dream cant I... =P

Rory, large pieces without flaws are very expensive.  A table top would cost a fortune.  But pieces where you have to cut around the flaws are not that expensive at all.  I never have any left this time of year.  Due to health, I only sell at one festival a year now.  It has a Scottish / Celtic theme, so anything with bog oak goes before the end of the 6 week season.  So do most of the nicer pieces.  What's left at the end of that festival goes online, but there is little left after Christmas.

Here are some examples, mostly antler, some hardwood.  Keep in mind, this is whats left from last year after being picked threw.  At the start of the season, I have much nicer examples.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/FarmAndForge

Ask my friend form Africa here in the states if it wasn't any trouble could she get me some seeds form there.
She is going to ask her twin brother who is a farmer see if there anything he can send.

The person I was talking to checked out local garden shops.  Told me she found much of what you would find in any garden shop in the west.  She is going to check out more rural farmers markets, but thinking her particular part of South Africa is so Westernized that nothing will come of it.  So will be interesting to see what your friend comes up with from talking to local farmers.  What part is s/he in?

ajdrew said:
The person I was talking to checked out local garden shops.  Told me she found much of what you would find in any garden shop in the west.  She is going to check out more rural farmers markets, but thinking her particular part of South Africa is so Westernized that nothing will come of it.  So will be interesting to see what your friend comes up with from talking to local farmers.  What part is s/he in?
I think she is originally form Kenya I do not know if he still lives in that part of Africa or not

I will add my 2c worth here. South Africa is not a hot spot for chilli. As was already mentioned, the African continent has no natural chillies, but indigonised species brought to the continent. Rest of Africa maybe with some gems. Mostly all chillies brought to Africa via the slave trade in central Africa and the spice route. Lots of PeriPeri and variations there of throughout Africa. Same pod slight variations, different names. The Fatalii comes from central Africa and not really found as far south as South Africa. I have some variations of the PeriPeri that come from various parts that I have collected over the years. I have PeriPeri from Zim (Mbile Mbile), South Africa (KZN PeriPeri) and Malawi (I think they call it PiliPili) that is particularly hot and special (in my mind). But I hate to say... not very exciting. What I think is more exciting though is thecuisine and what the locals do with the chillies ;)

The only chili that I have seen feral ("growing wild") is Capsicum frutescens (aka peri peri) on the north coast of KwaZulu-Natal.  The birds spraed it around and it is all over the susburbs - never seen it under truly wild conditions.

If you want really special African seeds think Durban Poison, Malawi Gold, Congo Black ;)

RobStar said:
The only chili that I have seen feral ("growing wild") is Capsicum frutescens (aka peri peri) on the north coast of KwaZulu-Natal.  The birds spraed it around and it is all over the susburbs - never seen it under truly wild conditions.

If you want really special African seeds think Durban Poison, Malawi Gold, Congo Black ;)
On the other hand I just picked up a dozen bags of Bhut Jolokia's from a guy in Limpopo who thinks he's growing Habas lol What a win!

Back