• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Iggy's Hops vs. my Cannibis plant

North vs. south. The Mistake on the Lake against the beautiful, flowing, Ohio river. His beer plant competing against my mulch to be.

Iggy has the advantage - hops grow much taller, much quicker. But I refuse to surrender, at least not until the killing frost hits. It would be more fair if he doesn't use supports, but I have to deal with the hand I have been dealt!

I measure the plant every Thursday. Last week, it was only 45" tall, but thanks to the rain and fertilizer, hopefully it will be close to 5' this week.

Pixs in two days!

Mike

I want to clarify something, just in case someone may think I am growing pot. I am NOT. The Kenaf Hibiscus plant can look very similar to a pot plant and it is a member of the Cannabinus species or family (I should have paid more attention in biology) but its main use if to make paper products as well as fodder for many types of livestock.

Mike

OK, now I'm really excited! I've always heard of this Kanaf Hibiscus plant, and seen pics on ebay when I almost bought seeds. Reefer is awesome, don't get me wrong. I was just wondering where the hell you lived, and how you felt comfortable posting pics of some outdoor Cannabis grow. Anyhow, I want pics! These things are sposed to get really tall, and I've been thinking about growing some as a kind of privacy screen between me and the neighbors.

wordwiz said:
I want to clarify something, just in case someone may think I am growing pot. I am NOT. The Kenaf Hibiscus plant can look very similar to a pot plant and it is a member of the Cannabinus species or family (I should have paid more attention in biology) but its main use if to make paper products as well as fodder for many types of livestock.

Mike
I dont think any of us would care if you WERE growing pot. :)

Fine,

THP doesn't want pot threads, not that I blame him.

There's not enough light now for many pics but here is one. It may draw a law enforcement officer or two, but it is completely legal.

617hibiscus2.jpg

5Star,

With your longer growing season you might be able to get huge plants. The Kenaf plant is interesting, especially to those concerned about saving trees. I found a site that is selling 100 seeds for about $3.50 - I should have bookmarked it for next year.

I want to turn the plants into mulch but from what I understand, the oil from the seeds is very, very helpful, though I don't have a clue how to get it or incorporate it into a diet.

Mike

If that pic draws a Law Officer, then they don't know what they are looking at.

WAIT...That drew me!

:lol::lol::lol:

Nice looking plant can't wait to see how tall/big it gets.

BTW, I could tell the difference right off and I think I've seen that growing wild before.

From what I have read, it does not grow wild in most of the US. The plant's growth season is about 150 days but it takes another 60-90 frost-free days for the seeds to mature.

Mike

Looking good. When this topic got locked the first time I was kinda thinking "Wow, that's ballsy to post a grow log for your pot". But now that this topic has been reopened and explained, I get it now :lol:

So, can you PM me some pics of your REAL pot plant :lol:

Lol nice link Wordwiz :P

I really don't think that what you are growing could be mistaken for the real deal, looks too different.

I'm still pretty sure that I've seen them growing in the wild before. It was in an old corn field that wasn't planted and I actually stopped to get a better look and then I knew that what I was seeing wasn't the 'real deal'. Of course it could have been just some dumb weed that is a look a like.

Nova,

It's close enough to probably confuse some of the Barney Fife's we have running around with guns and badges!

Pepperfreak,

You may have. It is suppose to be self seeding according to one site, so it may be that an early flower left a seed pod that started 60 days before a killing frost or freeze.

What is strange - the plant I posted was sowed before another one and I've added fertilizer twice, plus compost tea another time. Yet one on the opposite side is within an inch or two of it.

Mike

Pepperfreak said:
I'm still pretty sure that I've seen them growing in the wild before. It was in an old corn field that wasn't planted and I actually stopped to get a better look and then I knew that what I was seeing wasn't the 'real deal'. Of course it could have been just some dumb weed that is a look a like.

So it wasn't real reefer you saw PF? I know I've seen it grow as a ditch weed in Nebraska before, where it's just a leftover weedy plant still extant from this country's glorious history of growing hemp. Used to be a requirement, and was mandatory to grow during WWII I believe.

I give up, I surrender. No way will my hibiscus get 18' tall.

But, I die hard! I want a head to head competition - no supports, strings, etc.

We will probably have to wait until next year to do it, but it gives me something to look forward to.

Go Bengals,

Mike

wordwiz said:
But, I die hard! I want a head to head competition - no supports, strings, etc.

We will probably have to wait until next year to do it, but it gives me something to look forward to.
You basically let them die back while on the rope and once that happens, no way am I untangling these things, there's a tone of bines there. :lol:

wordwiz said:
Go Bengals,
GASP!!!! You evil man!

wordwiz said:
I give up, I surrender. No way will my hibiscus get 18' tall.

Actually they will if you can protect them enough during the winter. I have one growing on the south side of my house that is over 20 feet tall, and blooms through the winter with freezing temps.

Back