• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

I'll be found goldbely up.

The Hot Pepper said:
I think the sandwich is in the twenties now so it's not a stretch to mail order if you find a good coupon. I guess. I wonder if the amount of meat is the same in the mail. But then again, Katz's was never the mile high place like some of the other delis.

Carnegie Deli:

Dont be posting that like you go there. We all know you go to Twist It for your yougurt and love advice.

Just called mom and asked her the specs of her preferred Town Hall Deli Sloppy Joe (I've talked about this quirky wrinkle in the Sloppy Joe ecosystem before on this site, elsewhere). Picked delivery for Wednesday 12/31 and look forward to watching her smile for a change on NYE about shoving her pie w/ the all-star sammie of her mecca ... Happy to spend the liquor store money on food and get out of cooking on the holiday (my time off from working).

I grok this, or it groks me ... it's one or the other or both, time will tell ...

Some interesting things on this list.  I would really like to know how the wings from Anchor bar would be.  Reheated frozen cooked wings at $2 a piece.  Hmmm...  I also wonder what the cooking instructions are for the fries on the Primani Bros. sandwich.  

One more thing, if anyone wants one of those shoo-fly pies from Ronks, PA, let me know.  I can ship it to you a lot cheaper than $30 a pie.

JayT said:
I would really like to know how the wings from Anchor bar would be.

Had them 2 years ago, on the way back from Niagara Falls.  Not bad at all, but certainly not the best wing I've had.  Not even top 10.  

JayT said:
Some interesting things on this list.  I would really like to know how the wings from Anchor bar would be. 

LOL. It's Frank's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doh! Buy a bottle.

NM, I forgot they have a house sauce now. Probably private label. You can buy it!

As my wife's originally from NY I've taken a good look at some of the options available from there and I have a question for the boss. As the better half loves New York style hot dogs, are Papaya King's dogs any better than say Nathan's or Dietz and Watson that we can get here much cheaper? Just trying to find out if the money spent getting them will be worth it before I go for it.

Haven't had a hot dog in a long time, I'd say it's probably not worth it. Try to find all all-beef natural casing dog you like and do it up NY style with condiments.

If you ask me the "Papaya" joints in NY (many different ones; Gray's Papaya, Mike's Papaya) are hype. They are cheap drunk food and tourist traps. Nothing special at all.

Try these, no fillers or hormones or antibiotics... all beef, with a natural lamb casing. I haven't tried them yet. If you do let me know. http://www.letsbefrankdogs.com/products_dogs.php

The Hot Pepper said:
Haven't had a hot dog in a long time, I'd say it's probably not worth it. Try to find all all-beef natural casing dog you like and do it up NY style with condiments.

If you ask me the "Papaya" joints in NY (many different ones; Gray's Papaya, Mike's Papaya) are hype. They are cheap drunk food and tourist traps. Nothing special at all.

Try these, no fillers or hormones or antibiotics... all beef, with a natural lamb casing. I haven't tried them yet. If you do let me know. http://www.letsbefrankdogs.com/products_dogs.php
Thanks for the help boss! You just saved me quite a bit of money. Will stick with the Dietz and Watson we get here for now as that's the one she's found that's closest to the NY dogs she grew up with.
Will look for the dogs you linked at work, if not I should be able to get them ordered. Looks like something we'd carry.

Yeah those places are a gimmick. I think Rawk visited NY, got one, and threw it in the garbage, lol. But she's used to Chicago dogs where the tourist joints are actually good. Here, it's junk with slop toppings. That red cooked onion mush is vile! 

As my wife's originally from NY I've taken a good look at some of the options available from there and I have a question for the boss. As the better half loves New York style hot dogs, are Papaya King's dogs any better than say Nathan's or Dietz and Watson that we can get here much cheaper? Just trying to find out if the money spent getting them will be worth it before I go for it.

Just for the record, very few of the items are something I can see doing.

I wouldn't think you could extract the needed satisfaction from ANY hot dog, either ...

I can imagine ordering some of those giant shrimp, or the crawfish, or maybe just some pounds of the Katz corned beef ...

Also, if you look, a lot of the places do direct shipping, and it can be cheaper ...

For instance, there's a seafood place in Bonita Springs ... that's 1.5 hrs away ... I'll probably buy those giant shrimp right off their web page and skip goldbely, as I'll get overnight delivery even if I choose ground! Katz Deli ships themselves too, I know because it's on the menu they sent in the box ...

For fun, I Googled a personal fav last night, Joe's Stone Crab (Miami) ... and I think they shipped too, so, goldbely might have simply opened my eyes to direct shipping grub, which I wasn't going to come to on my own ... although, I ordered Ferrara's desserts overnight some years ago, too.

But yeah, not too many things really likely to get me to pull the trigger there at the end of the day ...

That said, it was tasty as all hell ...

grantmichaels said:
Just for the record, very few of the items are something I can see doing.

I wouldn't think you could extract the needed satisfaction from ANY hot dog, either ...

I can imagine ordering some of those giant shrimp, or the crawfish, or maybe just some pounds of the Katz corned beef ...

Also, if you look, a lot of the places do direct shipping, and it can be cheaper ...

For instance, there's a seafood place in Bonita Springs ... that's 1.5 hrs away ... I'll probably buy those giant shrimp right off their web page and skip goldbely, as I'll get overnight delivery even if I choose ground! Katz Deli ships themselves too, I know because it's on the menu they sent in the box ...

For fun, I Googled a personal fav last night, Joe's Stone Crab (Miami) ... and I think they shipped too, so, goldbely might have simply opened my eyes to direct shipping grub, which I wasn't going to come to on my own ... although, I ordered Ferrara's desserts overnight some years ago, too.

But yeah, not too many things really likely to get me to pull the trigger there at the end of the day ...

That said, it was tasty as all hell ...
Completely agree on it opening up online ordering through the company site. Some places are just too damn expensive either through direct ordering or goldbely. After I brought this up tonight my wife said she'd read Umberto's (which according to her is the best pizza on Long Island) ships pizzas, but it's around $150 for 2 pizzas shipped. No way I'd ever pay that.
Some ok deals on there though. 10lb of boiled crawfish for 89.95 shipped isn't too bad when some places in the heart of crawfish country here charge over $60 for 10lb. Not sure how boiled, frozen and reheated crawfish would go though.

Cafe Du Monde Beignet Mix is $25 there.

Here's the same shit at Amazon for like half price ...

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=beignet+mix+cafe+du+monde&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=40113311047&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11530981996329743537&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=t&ref=pd_sl_3fw5cn1ysn_b

But here's a place I found while checking for it ...

https://www.cajungrocer.com

;)
OK, so, just for fun, I visited Katz website ...

From them, still overnighted, I could have ordered 4 lb sliced pastrami, without the bread + pickles, for the same amount of money ... that's easily better ... but, it gets better, because for $10 more than what I paid for 2 lb sliced + mustard, bread, and 4x pickles, one could instead have a massive 5.6-6 lb whole pastrami. I'll take 3x the pastrami and supply my own fresh bread and pickles, thanks! =)

I can def imagine doing that. Probably sooner than later, but in a while yet having just had it for days ...

When I was talking about the wings from Anchor, I was not wondering how the Anchor Bar wings are.  I have had them.  I was wondering how anyone would pay $2 a wing to buy cooked and frozen wings to reheat in their oven.  And their sauce, at least the suicide is good.  They sell it here in stores.

JayT said:
Some interesting things on this list.  I would really like to know how the wings from Anchor bar would be.  Reheated frozen cooked wings at $2 a piece.  Hmmm...  I also wonder what the cooking instructions are for the fries on the Primani Bros. sandwich.  

One more thing, if anyone wants one of those shoo-fly pies from Ronks, PA, let me know.  I can ship it to you a lot cheaper than $30 a pie.
Have been to the anchor bar a few times wings are the bomb!!! But just order their sauce and make fresh best way !! :)

oldsalty said:
Have been to the anchor bar a few times wings are the bomb!!! But just order their sauce and make fresh best way !! :)

WB oldsalty, I saw you were on the other night (late), but didn't see any posts/replies ...

Cheers!

grantmichaels said:
WB oldsalty, I saw you were on the other night (late), but didn't see any posts/replies ...

Cheers!
Thanks Grant !! Been busy canning and cooking jellies and jams getting everything shipped. It's been crazy and caught a nasty cold hard to look at screen. lol :)

Back