• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense I'm confused about the Datil pepper

Last year I grew what was supposed to be a Datil pepper but it looked completely different from what I expected. It grew to be an Annuum type pepper that ripened red. It was disappointing because I was under the impression that the datil pepper should be a Chinense type and ripen and stay orange. After trying to find more seeds I noticed there are many different variations of this pepper both Chinense and Annuum, some even turning red. Now I'm wondering if what I grew was an actual Datil pepper. The more I look into it, the more confusing it gets. Below is a picture of Datil peppers from Baker Creek website. It's listed as a Chinense but it looks like Annuums and slightly resembles the pepper I grew out last year. The second pic (from Texas Hot Pepper) is what I thought of as a Datil initially. Third pic is what I actually grew out last year. Anyone know which is the real Datil?

1678485145593.png

1678486644595.png

F34FC6E3-EB86-4E36-A9F4-6CA7B8A6A530.jpeg

Last edited:
From the Spanish dátil, “date”, for its similar size and shape. Enthusiastically cultivated in St Johns County, Florida — particularly St Augustine — by the descendants of 18th century Minorcan indentured laborers. This drop of Florida sun is the only chinense landrace in the US.

A persistent but inaccurate oral history in the St Augustine Minorcan community holds that the pepper was brought by their ancestors from Minorca. In fact, records indicate the first seeds were imported from Santiago de Cuba in the 1880s by St Augustine jellymaker Stephen (Esteban) Valls. Further, an 1849 dictionary of provincial Cuban words listed dátil as a local pepper: “for its resemblance to its namesake”, “the aroma is strong and arousing”, “it is among the most used”.

This website serves as a good description of its oldest, most typical form. The multitude of other forms which you’ve noticed are also grown in the area and are no doubt the result of many local variations and crosses. That said, they should all be Capsicum chinense. Maybe there’s an annuum by the same name, though? It’s a common word after all.

It’s often a mistake to assume a name means only one thing — it usually means many!

Last edited:
That’s the pic from the Baker Creek website. They are attractive but not the Datil I’m in search of. It’s a hot one according to their website.

@Grass Snake - do all Datils have dimples in their bottoms?
I was given pepper plants last year and the owner couldn't remember what they were and they all had dimpled bottoms :lol:

I've Datil'ed a few times in the past...

I think this was my first, from 2009. PI281435. Seeds from John Fiedler (@fiedlermiester) RIP
Datil - PI281435 - jf.JPG

This is what a Datil looked like in 2012.
Datil.JPG Datil Yellow.JPG

...there was also Datil Sweet.
Datil Sweet.JPG Not Datil 3.JPG

...and some others.
Not Datil.JPG Not Datil 2.JPG

So, I guess it's safe to say there is a lot of "variability" when it comes to Datil.🙂

I've Datil'ed a few times in the past...

I think this was my first, from 2009. PI281435. Seeds from John Fiedler (@fiedlermiester) RIP
Datil - PI281435 - jf.JPG

This is what a Datil looked like in 2012.
Datil.JPG Datil Yellow.JPG

...there was also Datil Sweet.
Datil Sweet.JPG Not Datil 3.JPG

...and some others.
Not Datil.JPG Not Datil 2.JPG

So, I guess it's safe to say there is a lot of "variability" when it comes to Datil.🙂
Nice! It appears all were chinense types. Your 2012 is the one that stands out as a real Datil to me. I do like the looks of the first ones though. Is there one you preferred?

Last edited:
As part of your research you might contact one of those old Florida sauce/jelly companies to see what they use. There's all kinds of companies with datil puns as their name (for That'll) and they've been around since the 80s or even longer. They usually sell jelly, mustard, and sauce. They are very specific about the datil they use and may even only know of that one type. Here's one of the ones I know of, one of the "bigger" (non-farmers market) ones. See what THEY say a datil is.

Back