• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense I'm confused about the Datil pepper

Look at what came today. I think Datils from 3 different sources will be enough for now. Will be interesting to compare them side by side but only one will make the growlist for next year. I’ll pick my favorite at the end of the season.

0390B807-487E-4DDF-965D-20497FB18D27.jpeg

Look at what came today. I think Datils from 3 different sources will be enough for now. Will be interesting to compare them side by side but only one will make the growlist for next year. I’ll pick my favorite at the end of the season.
Thanks for this thread! I got free datil seeds from Baker Creek. I decided to plant some of those as well as some of the seeds I've been saving from a lineage of datil peppers I bought last visit to St. Aug (used to live there many moons ago - my profile pic is from a datil pepper in that first year of harvest). The pic on the datil packet from BC is the same as the one you have, and that looks like real datils to me, but the other pics look nothing like datils! I hope they at least taste decent because I mostly planted them since my other datil seeds were old - failed to successfully get isolated peppers last year. At least now I'm ready to be disappointed. :)

Gimme my real datils with the lovely purple stripes <3

Last year I grew what was supposed to be a Datil pepper but it looked completely different from what I expected. It grew to be an Annuum type pepper that ripened red. It was disappointing because I was under the impression that the datil pepper should be a Chinense type and ripen and stay orange. After trying to find more seeds I noticed there are many different variations of this pepper both Chinense and Annuum, some even turning red. Now I'm wondering if what I grew was an actual Datil pepper. The more I look into it, the more confusing it gets. Below is a picture of Datil peppers from Baker Creek website. It's listed as a Chinense but it looks like Annuums and slightly resembles the pepper I grew out last year. The second pic (from Texas Hot Pepper) is what I thought of as a Datil initially. Third pic is what I actually grew out last year. Anyone know which is the real Datil?

1678485145593.png

1678486644595.png

F34FC6E3-EB86-4E36-A9F4-6CA7B8A6A530.jpeg
1685373343681.png

Here is a pic of an Heirloom Datil Pepper(s) from Mayhem Datil Pepper Farms Website. I buy my Datil Pepper seeds from them. In the past I purchased established plants locally.

My Datil pods are starting to ripen. Seeds from superhotchiles.com .

Flavor is good. Taste to me is closer to a yellow habanero than to a scotch bonnet.

How are your Datils tasting and looking this year?

I started my Datils late and it got too hot before they could really take off. The Ebay Datil has been the most vigorous and the only one to set fruit so far.

Last edited:
My Datil pods are starting to ripen. Seeds from superhotchiles.com .

Flavor is good. Taste to me is closer to a yellow habanero than to a scotch bonnet.

How are your Datils tasting and looking this year?

I have two types of datils growing this year. The first comes from a lineage of 3 datil plants I brought back from St. Augustine on my last visit a few years ago. They are not growing well this year - even the overwintered plant. My datils have always been 4-5 feet tall in 5 gal pots, but now they aren't even hitting 2 feet. I don't know if it's genetics or something about the soil - Most of my other pepper plants are thriving in the community garden plot I got this year. I'm still getting enough peppers for me, as I need only about 5-10 peppers per pint of hot sauces. They're also really going to town with the purple stripes! I've never seen such thick, dark stripes before.

The other type is from some free seeds I got with an order from Baker Creek. These do not look like datils at all to me. They ripen to a more orangey yellow than the real datils, they are longer, much wider, and no point at the tip. They also go straight from dark green to orange yellow (unlike true datils, which start at a fairly light green before developing their stripe and then ripening to light orange yellow). The flavor is good (fruity like real datils) and the heat is datil level, so I'm going to try them in some hot sauces. Probably won't grow them again, though, as I really want the datils like I had in St. Aug.

As for the baker creek Datil seeds ( Free ) I have had enough in dishes to see why they were free.
I get the same heat & a much better taste with my Red Habaneros. Just sayin.

...I have had enough in dishes to see why they were free.

You might want to consider making a hot sauce. Lots of recipes out there using datils. Just a thought.

You might want to consider making a hot sauce. Lots of recipes out there using datils. Just a thought.
You know I looked for some flavor in this pepper & found a stinging heat without much else. Tongue. :mouthonfire:
No doubt the real Fla. Datil has a smell & flavor of its own, however this has a Habanero smell with a faint fruitiness.

I will be interested in what the others growing the Baker Creek Datils think of them. Right now this pepper is first on the hit list for next
season. It will be replaced by the Aji Pineapple.

How long does it take for a Datil to ripen? I ask because this is my first time growing one. All the pods are still a dark green. I was given the plant back in late April by a friend who works for a school district in the KCK area. The school had a plant sale from an ag class. I was told the students had grown all the plants from seed. Source of seeds is unknown. When I got the plant, it was about 4 inches. I put it in a 20 gal. fabric bag outside in early May and the plant quickly grew to almost 4 ft. and the first pods have been full size since late July. My other chinenses this year (habanero and ghost pepper) were put out at the same time and have or are now ripening.
alpacapunch dailt chile.jpg
alpacapunch datil plant.jpg

Back