• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

I'm out of control and need HELP!

I have been making a list for next year's season and have just realized that my list is way, WAY to long. I have too many varieties and not enough space. So either I move where I would have several acres to cultivate or I trim down my list. Growing peppers sure has taken over. :lol: Here is what I have so far and (*) indicated the must haves. I would like to here what some of your comments are on these peppers to help me with my list and my cut list.

Sweet Peppers
Buran
Ace F1
Aconcagua
Aladdin
Alba F1 Hybrid
Alliance
Andrea
*Ariane F1 Hybrid
Bounty
Healthy

Hot Peppers
*Anaheim TMR
*Poblano
*Bhut Jolokia
Boldog Hungarian Spice
*Tobasco
Charleston Hot
Chiltepin Texas
Datil
Fresno
Hab Chocolate
Hab Lemon Yellow
*Hab Peach
*Hab White Giant
Hab Carribean Red
*Hungarian Hot Wax
*Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Mariachi
Naga Morich (Dorset Naga)- Is this any different than the Bhut Jolokia?
*7 Pod ? Great pepper this year, just unsure if I need it next year
*Trinidad Scorpion ? Great pepper this year, just unsure if I need it next year

NuMex Bailey Piquin
NuMex Sandia

Now for the Jalapenos, I really need some help here
Jalapeno Billy Biker
Jalabanero
Jalapeno Conchos F1
Jalapeno Grande
Jalapeno Mucho Nacho
Jalapeno Ole`

As I said this list is way too large and needs to be trimed down.

My other idea was to just grow maybe 3 to 6 Hot Pepper varieties and the rest mild to sweet types. Types that would be good as Paparika Powders and good for stuffing like the Hot Hungarian Wax pepper.

So many varieties and so little room :mope:

Pepperfreak ,

That's one hell of a list you have there !! Are you doing a throw down with AJ ?? LOL

First thing is think about what you can get in your area . At a grocery store or farmers market. That's why I don't grow Bell peppers, Thai , Serrano, or Jalapeno peppers. I can easily get them. True they are better fresh picked at your back door, but you can't hardly grow everything. Seeing your list I didn't know there was so many types of Jalapeno.

The other thing you might try is finding a farmer in your area. Convince him a few of the types of Jalapenos you like would serve him well at the market. Give him some seeds or starter plants and go from there.

Good luck in culling your list down a little or finding another way.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Thanks P.Dreadie...There are actually a lot more Jalapeno varieties than the ones on my list. I am having a hard time with this because the stores around me have poor selections when it comes to peppers, both hot and sweet. Sure I can get regular Jalapenos and Green, Red and Yellow Bell Peppers, but they just don't taste the same. Mass commercial farming tends to harvest their produce still green and unripe.

Luckily, I have a few months before I need to be starting my seeds to try and sort this out. :lol: This is a tough decision. :lol:

I have been going through seeds and trying to figure out what I am going to grow next year. On top of the fact I am going to attempt to overwinter 30 plants from this season, only throwing 3 jalapeno plants and 3 tabascos out. The only Jalapeno I will grow again is the Billy Biker becuase the rest did poorly and pods were too small to do much with.

I will find a way to grow everything I want to grow, and as time goes thin out to what really serves the purposes I want them for.

Containers, containers, containers...you would be surprised how many plants you can put in a small area...grow them all...

as far as the Jalapenos go, I am only going to grow the Billy Bikers next year...

I know what your going through Pepperfreak, I'm trying to narrow down my list from over 300 to about 15 types.
You have a lot of sweet hybrid types that I've never heard of. I'd definitely grow the Aconcaguas, they're actually at the top of my list for next year.
For the hots I'd probably eliminate either the tepin or pequin since they are quite similar and for me one small podded plant is more than enough to pick
For your jalapenos, all but the biker billy are hybrids(oops, maybe the Ole too) which could mean better production but you really can't save any true breeding seeds from them. I'll probably be growing a few jal types next season but different colored or shaped varieties.

Ditto on the Biker Billys. If you have to grow only one Jalapeno, that's the ticket. I'm cutting my # of plants in half for next year, I'll only plant 1 or 2 new ones and overwinter a bunch of what I already have. Maybe I'll go crazy again in 2011 after I forget how much work this year was.

I live in a tight neighbor hood neighbors all over soo i'm gonna try n have like almost a fence out of pepper plants if i could would be cool

Tobasco one of my fav to grow produce alot. white bullet hab also maybe.
I'm also giving up on the oen i can get in the market, except jalapenos i want them ripe. nice list though you should still do 7pods though i think

Thanks guys...Potawie, for the Jalapenos, the hybrids produce more pods than the others? If so, which one would you recommend? I'm hearing a lot about the biker billy, but if there is a better producing one, that's what I want.

Well, with little that I'm able to do besides think, plan and play around on the Internet, I have whittled down my grow list somewhat :lol:

I have a few questions though.

1. Has any one grown theTobago Seasoning Pepper, the Boldog Hungarian Spice and the Paper Lantern? What were your thoughts and are these worth being on my list? They sound good for use as seasoning spice.

Here is my full list...

2010 Grow List

Sweet Peppers
Aconcagua
Bounty Hybrid
Super Red Pimento
NuMex Sweet

Hot Peppers
Anaheim
Poblano
Bhut Jolokia
Boldog Hungarian Spice
Tobasco
Tepin Chilli
Trinidad Habanero
Paper Lantern
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow 7 Pod
Tabago Seasoning Pepper
Hab Peach
White Habanero
Hot Hungarian Wax
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion
Jalapeno Billy Biker
NuMex Sandia

Tomatoes
Rutgers VFA
Opalka
Italian Sweet
General Borghese
Sweet Cherry Gold
San Marzano
Earl’s Faux

Other
Sweet Basil
Parsley
Sugar Snap Peas
Zucchini
Cherry Bomb II Hybrid

I just spent the last hour trying to find seeds for Boldog Hungarian Spice and Tabago Seasoning Pepper and I seem to only find them in 2 places. One, Reimers Seeds, which most people seem to complain about and another Local Harvest.com which I have never heard of before. Now, I'm presented with a dilemma, do I order from Reimer Seeds and hope for the best or do I order from Local Harvest and hope for the best...

If anyone knows where else I can find these seeds I would be grateful.

Just a head up, I've grown several versions of Tabago Seasoning Pepper and every type is very different some being quite hot. I can't say I really liked any of them to be honest

Johnny's selected seeds is a top notch company. Ordered from them many times. Good prices, fast shipping, and never any surprises. I would recommend them.

jacob

PF,

Have you tried Genovese Basil? If you haven't, I would sub it for the sweet basil. Extremely productive though you will need to cut the blooms off starting in August to keep it from going to seed. Thai Basil is also a great herb - smelling the leaves will almost give you a high. Unless you plan to sell it, one or two plants of each will give you enough leaves to last far more than a year.

Mike

POTAWIE said:
Just a head up, I've grown several versions of Tabago Seasoning Pepper and every type is very different some being quite hot. I can't say I really liked any of them to be honest

Maybe I'll cross this one off the list then. What about this pepper didn't you care for?

jjs7741 said:
Johnny's selected seeds is a top notch company. Ordered from them many times. Good prices, fast shipping, and never any surprises. I would recommend them.

jacob

Thanks Jacob, I might have to give them a try this year, maybe...if I still have seeds to buy.

wordwiz said:
PF,

Have you tried Genovese Basil? If you haven't, I would sub it for the sweet basil. Extremely productive though you will need to cut the blooms off starting in August to keep it from going to seed. Thai Basil is also a great herb - smelling the leaves will almost give you a high. Unless you plan to sell it, one or two plants of each will give you enough leaves to last far more than a year.

Mike

Thanks Mike, I don't think I have ever had any of the mentioned Basils. Being Italian, and coming from a long line of ranchers/farmers Basil was always a staple in our gardens and I always assumed it was the sweet kind. I will look for Genovese Basil and maybe plant it along with the Sweet Basil (I already have these seeds).

Pepperfreak said:
2010 Grow List
Sweet Peppers
Aconcagua
Bounty Hybrid
Super Red Pimento
NuMex Sweet

Hot Peppers
Anaheim
Poblano
Bhut Jolokia
Boldog Hungarian Spice
Tobasco
Tepin Chilli
Trinidad Habanero
Paper Lantern
Chocolate Bhut
Yellow 7 Pod
Tabago Seasoning Pepper
Hab Peach
White Habanero
Hot Hungarian Wax
Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion
Jalapeno Billy Biker
NuMex Sandia

Tomatoes
Rutgers VFA
Opalka
Italian Sweet
General Borghese
Sweet Cherry Gold
San Marzano
Earl’s Faux

Other
Sweet Basil
Parsley
Sugar Snap Peas
Zucchini
Cherry Bomb II Hybrid

Like the title points out...I AM OUT OF CONTROL! :lol:

I just finished (for the night) ordering seeds and have just revised my grow list to include:
Squash Sure Thing Hybrid
Radish Cherry Bomb II
Spinach Double Choice Hybrid
Lettuce Green Ice (Looseleaf)
Scallion Evergreen Long White Bunching

All the fixings for a fresh home grown salad. :lol: As AJ has already told me, containers, containers and more containers.

Back