• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Im planning on using one of these 2 for my 1st hot sauce

hello all just wanted to see what everyone thinks of what i found online that i plan on using for my 1st superhot sauce....
im thinking the 1st recipe is more up my alley.... Maybe i can add another fruit or something to it?

4 cloves of minced garlic

1 cup of diced red onion

3 cups of diced tomatoes

3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

4-6 Butch T Scorpions or Datils or Naga morrich or yellow 7 pod

1 cup of distilled white vinegar

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons white sugar

Directions:

1. Over medium heat in a large saucepan, heat oil and add the onion, chili peppers, habanero peppers and garlic. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onions begin to brown. Stir continuously.

2. Reduce heat. Add the vinegar, tomatoes, salt and sugar. Stir until the tomatoes break down. Roughly 6 minutes.

3. Place mixture in blender and blend until a puree is formed.

4. Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve.

5. Let mixture cool for an hour.

or this sauce

4-6 Butch T Scorpions or Datils or Naga morrich or yellow 7 pod
1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
3/4 cup thinly sliced onions
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 cup distilled white vinegar

Directions

Combine the peppers, garlic, onions, salt and oil in a non-reactive saucepan over high heat. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the water and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until peppers are very soft and almost all of the liquid has evaporated. (Note: this should be done in a very well-ventilated area!) Remove from the heat and allow to steep until mixture comes to room temperature. In a food processor, puree the mixture for 15 seconds, or until smooth. With the food processor running, add the vinegar through the feed tube in a steady stream.

Taste and season with more salt, if necessary. (This will depend on the heat level of the peppers you use as well as the brand of vinegar used.) Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve and then transfer to a sterilized pint jar or bottle and secure with an airtight lid. Refrigerate. Let age at least 2 weeks before using. Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.

Two ingredients I do not use in making a sauce; water and sugar. If I want sweet I use apple juice (fairly neutral flavor) but a great sweetener and source of liquid. Cheers.

If I remove the the water and the sugar hownmuchnofnthe apple juice should I add?

Anything else I can add to the list of ingrediants to make it better.

Add until you have the sweetness and consistency you want. You can add a wee amount of vinegar or lime/lemon juice if you're dead set against vinegar. Cheers.

+1 AjarnV never thought about trying Apple Jelly. I bet some Apple Butter would be good too.

There are any number of ways to add sweetness to a sauce. Please note that if your fermenting the sauce first you'll need to adjust sweetness after fermenting as the fermentation process will consume all of the sugar's added. To sweeten a sauce I usually use Agave Necter added during the second boil where I sdjust to the final taste I want for the sauce. I have also used fresh Pineapple, Mango, Peaches and fresh orange juice. I like to stay with natural sweeting and don't use table suger.

Cheers,
RM

Apple juice is a great idea I've never thought of +1 indeed!

I've also made some sauces with papaya's and strawberries. Turned out pretty good and the sweet flavor of the fruit came through first, and then the heat slammed through the door and kicked you in the teeth!! Really adds to the aroma of the sauce as well.

I have a question maybe someone can help me out here...

is it possible that i can make hot sauce without cooking it and just blend it really well.... if i do this i would be using vinegar (like the taste) and distilled water if necessary... im just wondering if its possible cause cooking scorpions and other superhots is not a possibility in the house with 3 kids and 1 being a newborn and i do not want to be outside on the grill.

I isolate the kitchen with a sheet over the doorway to the rest of the house and open 2 windows/door to vent through the kitchen. I got out to get fresh air. :rofl: Also when you're done and rinse your kettle/pot use cold water. Hot water helps atomize the capsaisin.

But can hot sauce be made without cooking it. Maybe put it in the bottle close it and then boil the bottle with the sauce in it.

In a word, no, IMO.
1st - You might blow the lid off
2nd - Sauce must be cooked; if not, then it's not "sauce", again, my opinion.
3rd - Do as you like and don't get caught up in minutiae. Don't cook it if you can't/don't want to; but you'll have to refrigerate it and you'll need to add vinegar or citrus to extend shelf life.

Experiment however you like; but be mindful of safe cooking and general food handling rules. Good luck.

Back