• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Immediate stomach pain after eating pepper.

So I haven't eaten any peppers in a few months, mostly because they weren't in season, But since I'm getting some boxes tomorrow/Thursday I thought i'd try to build up my tolerance a little bit. 

Popped a red scotch bonnet since it was the only thing I had from the freezer, and ate it, then almost a minute later, it felt like my stomach was being stabbed. The burn in my mouth was fine, I was able to deal with that, no problem :P

Normally when I hear stories of people's stomachs hurting after eating peppers it's usually a few hours after, not a minute after, so is this anything to worry about or am I just worried about nothing?

Could be an ulcer ? Did you do this on an empty stomach ? 

Does seem odd but if you haven't had anything in a while might just be your stomach wasn't ready . I would eat one with some food and see how that goes. 

romy6 said:
 Could be an ulcer ? Did you do this on an empty stomach ? 

Does seem odd but if you haven't had anything in a while might just be your stomach wasn't ready . I would eat one with some food and see how that goes. 
I had breakfast, but that was about 6 hours ago. 

I'll try it again after I eat something, and hope I don't have to go crawling to the fridge getting the milk again lol

I get that sometimes when I drop one on an empty stomach. I think the hungry acids get right to work on it, and you can feel it much more than if you have some food down first, which gives more of a time release effect to the gut.

Happened to me once when I decided to eat a quarter bottle of Insanity Sauce with chips cause I had nothing else to eat.

While I was eating, not bad, then 30 seconds later, I was lying on my couch feeling like I was doing one of those "lying on a bed of nails" things that went horribly wrong.

About 3 minutes later, huge endorphin rush.

My cross peppers did this to me too.. Thier insanely hot but as soon as they hit my stomach it also felt like a meat hook lodged itself in my stomach.. Might be a particular type of capsaicin in high quantities ?

Back