Importing Chilli seeds into Australia

Silver_Surfer said:
Seeds I've sent to Australia in a #10 envelope sandwiched between small bubble wrap have made it OK. Last ones sent 5-23-13, but to NSW not to WA.
Yes, I was the recipient from you however just prior to your envelope ie in 2013 I have 2 parcels of seeds confiscated and it all depends on luck.  If they open it then it will be confiscated.
From what I know, seeds to Western Australia and Tasmania are not allowed.  You just have to look at ebay Australia for plants and always noted posting to these 2 states are not allowed.  I had seeds from Czechoslovakia and Brazil confiscated this year.  The latter were a reputable supplier Ïsla"
pak.jpg
 but still they were seized.  However, they do not charge me for destroying!

Hi Justecila,

I'm glad they didn't charge you for destroying them. that's what I was afraid of.
With not sending to tassy or WA with plants that has been pretty usual for quite a while. I was talking more about seeds that come in from the east or overseas.
With seeds from overseas most of the time the company just doesn't put on the right information that customs need. If they do not have the common and botanical name on each packet and they open it they will take them.
Having that language barrier doesn't help either.
Hey do ISLA seeds have Pepper seeds? I'll have to have a look as I love Brazillian Chinenses.

Micca

If things get worse, we'll have to put together an Australian air lift.  Dropping pallets of peppers and seeds out the back of a hundred C-5 Galaxy planes...

We can't let our Aussie chili-head brothers suffer indefinitely of hypocapsaicinemia.

We'll code-name it Operation Hot Vittles. 

Now there's an idea Bruce. I really like that some aid relief for the Aussies Hahahaha.
If you drop enough they should be sown all over the place.

Cheers for the link Harry. I only did a quick search of ISLA and forgot to narrow it down with Pimenta.
Some interesting Peppers.

Micca

I think this season I will make an effort to save lots of seeds of different varieties to share with my fellow West Aussies.  I find it offensive they are setting up this system. All the charges for inspection and certificates and destroying are solely aimed at hobby growers obtaining seeds.  It won't affect gigantic companies and so people will be reduced to purchasing whatever they decide to import and market locally.  The corporatocracy strikes again.

That's for sure Mega, definately government big brother watching us!
If they did it 5 odd years ago it would have been a different story as we had bugger all varieties back then in Aussieland.
Now there is a truckload over here which is excellent.
micca

Micca302 said:
Hi Justecila,

I'm glad they didn't charge you for destroying them. that's what I was afraid of.
With not sending to tassy or WA with plants that has been pretty usual for quite a while. I was talking more about seeds that come in from the east or overseas.
With seeds from overseas most of the time the company just doesn't put on the right information that customs need. If they do not have the common and botanical name on each packet and they open it they will take them.
Having that language barrier doesn't help either.
Hey do ISLA seeds have Pepper seeds? I'll have to have a look as I love Brazillian Chinenses.

Micca
Yes they have plenty of pepper seeds all commercially labelled (but mine was confiscated right?).  I purchased it thru MercadoLivre (Brazil's version of ebay) simply because when I buy direct from Isla the postage is hefty whereas it is much more reasonable from one of the Mercado seller but same packets.  Those seller can communicate in English. Btw Custom technically cannot enforce charging the recipient cost to destroy as it may be the case of a random sender out of your control!!
PetersChilli said:
Thanks Mate.... I have all sorts of Chilli pepper seeds arriving atm... Hoping to get my growing season on its way..
Good luck friend!
harry said:
Search for pimenta on isla.com.br brings up a number of results.
You are right on the website.  If you purchased from them directly, I found from personal experience the postage is very expensive..like US40 as they use a courier.  Get it from Brazil's version of ebay, ie MercadoLivre
Micca302 said:
Good on ya Mate :cool:
I really hope they realize how bad it is to try and charge a home grower 50 odd bucks extra for a packet of vegie seeds.

I did also find an article from ABC news that was interesting. Mentions talking to the agriculture departments spokesman and he is saying they will inspect the packages and send you an invoice! What the &*$@*
Also mentions people trying to sneak them through could face up to $5000 in fines!
Here is the link-
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-06-25/buying-seeds-through-the-post-will-cost-more/4779770

Ahhh gotta love the government.

Micca

Hey Dave, you a night worker or something?

Micca
Hey Micca,
Just saw this link about WA government charging for seeds import.  This is just a shame and a greedy grab.  Bureaucracy here is going really mad.  How can they charge the recipient for something a 'sender'may post without your consent! lol

justecila said:
Yes they have plenty of pepper seeds all commercially labelled (but mine was confiscated right?).  I purchased it thru MercadoLivre (Brazil's version of ebay) simply because when I buy direct from Isla the postage is hefty whereas it is much more reasonable from one of the Mercado seller but same packets.  Those seller can communicate in English. Btw Custom technically cannot enforce charging the recipient cost to destroy as it may be the case of a random sender out of your control!!

Good luck friend!

You are right on the website.  If you purchased from them directly, I found from personal experience the postage is very expensive..like US40 as they use a courier.  Get it from Brazil's version of ebay, ie MercadoLivre

Hey Micca,
Just saw this link about WA government charging for seeds import.  This is just a shame and a greedy grab.  Bureaucracy here is going really mad.  How can they charge the recipient for something a 'sender'may post without your consent! lol

Yeah it's pretty sad the way the government has been going on lately. Hopefully they snap out of it!

I have had a drool over the Pimenta seeds on Mercadolivre a few times but thought it would be too hard to order/receive from.

Micca

Micca302 said:

Yeah it's pretty sad the way the government has been going on lately. Hopefully they snap out of it!

I have had a drool over the Pimenta seeds on Mercadolivre a few times but thought it would be too hard to order/receive from.

Micca
I have Biquinho Airetama & Pimenta de Norte if you are interested.  Another Brazilian chilihead posted it out to me.

justecila said:
I have Biquinho Airetama & Pimenta de Norte if you are interested.  Another Brazilian chilihead posted it out to me.

Sounds fantastic. I'll drop you a PM sometime and I will also have a look to what spare unusual seeds I have.

Micca

Micca302 said:

Sounds fantastic. I'll drop you a PM sometime and I will also have a look to what spare unusual seeds I have.

Micca
PM me and have a look at my picasa album link in my profile to see if there is any other varieties from my last year growth you like me to include.

justecila said:
PM me and have a look at my picasa album link in my profile to see if there is any other varieties from my last year growth you like me to include.

That's very kind of you Alice.
I had a look at your album a while ago and had a good drool, some nice Brazillians in there :drooling:

Micca

Micca302 said:

That's very kind of you Alice.
I had a look at your album a while ago and had a good drool, some nice Brazillians in there :drooling:

Micca
Micca, I am a supporter of chilli hobbyists.  Sent you seeds anytime.  No need for trade as I am not having a good year currently with all sorts of problems on my peppers plant.

To passionate Aussies Chillies growers, I think we all should be careful about discussing importing seeds to Australia: technically it is breaking the rules.
Big brothers can google (I did) and found myself back to this thread at the forum.  If they can identified the real name in each of us, we would have just incriminated ourselves!!
It is becoming a police state and it is fine so long they get the real baddies lol..............not harmless chillies growing peasants ......who are simply trying to share a hobby

Too true there Alice.
This thread is more out of the principle of trying to let chilli growers and also anyone else that these laws have come in.
It is fair enough that they put these laws on the import as there was a scare of a potential virus, but the pr about it was non existant.
If the threat was so severe as to put these restictions on then you would have thought they would have put it in the papers and on tv?
Also this is a bit of a vent for frustration over such issues.

On the inspection fee for seeds coming into WA from the eastern states now that's just pure revenue raising!!!!! and another story...............................

Man I could go on for hours about this 50 dollar  inspection fee.............................but I won't

Happy Chilli Growing,
Micca

I just went to bunnings and tried to buy some sugar cane mulch but they said someone found some weed seeds in a batch that weren't supposed to be there.  So no more sugar cane mulch for at least a year. 

I assume its imported from QLD.

Does anyone know if they had something similar occur with chilli seeds?  I'd like to know what these laws are protecting us against.  

Or are they passing it off as a preventative measure?   You could strongly argue that is pure revenue raising.

Back