• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Importing seeds into AU

Hi guys,

I've been following THP for a few months and have found LOTS of great info so thanks in advance for the knowledge this community is sharing in regards to growing hot peppers.

This is my first 'serious' growing season and so far growing well, started indoors mid August now they are mostly outside and up to about 3 inches. A have around 25 varieties this year and plan on making sauce so really just trying to find the flavours I prefer.

Of course I spend ages perusing the net looking for new varieties I might like to try and my focus is on flavour not heat (I do have some super hots though). I buy most of my seeds from THSC as I live near Perth, WA.

Anyway sorry for the rant I'll get to the point.. How do Aussies import new varieties of peppers? I see that we are constantly getting new ones in but I don't want to import seeds and cop a slap on the wrist from customs if I'm doing something wrong! Australia is pretty tough on what we can/can't import into the country so thought I'd ask how the 'right' way is to go about it.

Ps I'm really just looking to get Aji Jobito seeds!! For now.. lol

Welcome.  I sent about 25 varieties to a guy in Australia a few months back in a bubble envelope.  Said he got them fine, no issues.  I didn't fill out any customs info or anything, just sent them and took the chance.  I think he was in the Melbourne area.

jcw10tc said:
Welcome.  I sent about 25 varieties to a guy in Australia a few months back in a bubble envelope.  Said he got them fine, no issues.  I didn't fill out any customs info or anything, just sent them and took the chance.  I think he was in the Melbourne area.

Very true.. This person was me =) .. Thanks again.. Just starting to get through your seed now !!! =D .. I have never had seed sent from overseas not arrive .

Hello from Quebec,
I sent seeds to Australia and have been told to write the Latin genus name on each pack and this way no problem ( I sent Capsicum and cucurbitaceae)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and fast responses!! So seems safe enough to just go ahead and purchase seeds from overseas. That's good news.

Anyone have any Aji Jobito to sell or know where I can buy them from?

Cheers

It's only the hot Chinenses that they stop through import if they find them. I ordered a bunch of stuff from pepper lover and it was all destroyed...

On another note, I have HEAPS of varieties if you need any. I'm in Perth, NOR

Pinhigh said:
It's only the hot Chinenses that they stop through import if they find them. I ordered a bunch of stuff from pepper lover and it was all destroyed...

On another note, I have HEAPS of varieties if you need any. I'm in Perth, NOR
Do you have trouble getting fruit to set on the c. chinense during summer? I'm in Pinjarra and last year mine would not set fruit. Admittedly I didn't have them in the best soil conditions but figured the extreme dry heat didn't help. When the weather cooled I got some pods.

Yeah I found that my plants struggled with anything above 35deg heat. This year I'm going to make a retractable shade cloth "gazebo" for them on those hot days. Definitely liking the weather at the moment though, half my chillies are fruiting now, all of them flowering.

Importation of seeds into Australia is not allowed, IF they are found by customs they will be confiscated. 

BUT, I have had a 100% (5/5) success rate by getting them sent inside a card. Be sure to get the sender to protect them in some tissue to avoid them being crushed. 

Good luck, 

SR.

Yeah the letter I received from customs stated that members of the chinense family were not permitted and hence were destroyed. They did let me have the others that I ordered though.

Jase4224 said:
That's early! When did you start them?
8 OW, 2 hydro plants from previous years, the rest were started in June/July.

I have had about 100 varieties from the U.S.A from around 10 peeps all arrive .. and about another 50 varieties from the U.K , Brazil , N.Z, and several other places all arrive.. I had one person say they sent me seeds and they never arrived however he also said he would send me another lot but never told me if he did or nt so I doubt he sent the first lot.

The majority of seed was Chinense varieties, and although some were sent in Cards, alot was just in bubble wrap packets.

Nearly all my seeds come from overseas. 

Judy's WILL get nicked more times than not, I've found. Everyone else? Never lost one.

Back