• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor indoor douglah is healthy but flower buds drying up very small

i have a douglah that i am growing at my office and it sits right next to a tinted window and gets direct(through the tint) sunlight from 11-2 or so. it is healthy and growing pretty well(might be almost root bound) but all the flowers start to grow then turn brown and fall off dont even come close to opening. i cannot take it outside as i am on crutches for the next 3 weeks. do you experts think this is due to the tinted window takin out essential UV rays the plant needs? i mean the leaves are healthy it just wont grow flowers. i am using GH flora nova "bloom" and my plants at home are doing ok so far here are a few pics of the plant
IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

You are probably right about the light. Can you get someone else to take it outside for ya?
yeah, i probably can, i will have to ask on Monday, my worry is that it has been indoor for it whole life so its gonna need to be hardened off and my window gets direct sun, plus the relection off the tint! but i will start by getting it out side next week and we will see what happens. plus its almost time to pot it up, jsut trying to figure out what size pot to use as to not take up too much space on my counter! :rofl:

Im not an expert. But ya I'd say the tinted window is taking away some of the essential vitamins/UV and decreasing the amount of light obviously. Are you using a blossom booster when you feed it? If not I recommend it

well, here is the deal, it is at work and i cannot let it get too big, so i was planning on potting it up, then it will stay in that home(maybe) i have all my planst at home that i am trying to get BIG, this was just an experiment and to let co workers see the progress of a pepper plant. so in 3 weeks i will pot it up then see how it goes from there. but i will start with getting it outside asap. thanks for all the comments!

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
11. Too much grower attention/anxiety.

well, this whole week i have been putting hte plant outside and its not fully harndened off yet as it is good for about 1 hour in the sun before wilting occurs so i move it to a partly shady spot, but i will say that there are 4-5 little flowers that are bigger than any other one had gotten before drying up! thanks for the advice guys and so far it apears to be working! will keep ya updated!

Any full blossoms yet?

Just a thought - in an indoor setting, there aren't (usually!) any pollinating insects and very little air movement. Might be possible that the flowers aren't getting pollinated....you might try doing a little "self satisfaction" using a Q-tip. : )

Barry

Back