Inside of pods nasty and brown looking.

Not sure what's going on, seems to be affecting some of my container plants only so far. The pods look fine on the outside, plants look fine, but when I cut the pods open they're all brown and rotted looking on the inside. They don't smell terrible, but not fresh either. So far I've seen it on a MoA, 3 Devil's Hearts and a BBG7. Here's a pic of 2 Devil's Hearts and a MoA I just cut open. They were all a little under ripe too, and looked fine on the outside. A few other pods, a White Fatalii, Aji Pineapple and another MoA had brown seeds and looked they were starting to turn like these others. I've seen what looks like some BER on a few pods too, a couple weeks back, mostly affecting my Bell of Lebanon and Joe's Long. Recently started giving low-medium doses of CalMag through my drip system. Could it be too much water? If it's been hot and dry with no rain, I'll give 30-45 minutes with 1/2 gal/hour emitters, enough to soak through really well. I'll skip days if it's been raining or not as hot, will check the weight of the pots in the mornings first too. They are all in 3 gal containers. The only ferts are 14-14-14 3-4 month osmocote, which might be about to run out. I didn't add any extra calcium when I planted, I know I should have. 

Sorry if it's been discussed before. I did some searching on Google and THP, but didn't find anything like this exactly, but wasn't sure what to really look for. The slightly under-ripe Primo, above the others (the one not cut) looks fine on the inside. I'm going to chop it up and mix in some burger meat later.

mRJu0wRl.jpg

Also, if it helps, here're a couple shots of the Devil's Heart that the bad pods came from.

dsIwDwZl.jpg

wRIAkOCl.jpg

Not sure what causes it but I have seen it every year and even on store bought pods.  Hopefully it will be a small % that are like that for you.  I always find some, only 1 out of my first dozen or so that I have picked so far this year like that.  Interested also to see if anyone has any tips or knowledge of the cause.  Always surprises me to see people on youtube pop a whole pod in their mouth without cutting it first, this is the reason i always cut a pepper before eating it.  Not sure if its harmful or not, but sure is nasty looking.

Sucks about the insides but those are some fine looking plants. I've had a few in the past that looked the same way with no bugs inside or holes anywhere. I've read it happens to over ripe pods but those are obviously not over ripe. I just pulled out the seeds on mine and as long as the flesh didn't have any brown ate them and they tasted perfectly fine.

Back