• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Invasive?

Here's an interesting question for you all. I was laying in bed last night dreaming of my 2011 growing season and all those hot little pods on my wish list when a thought entered my mind. I wondered if some (if any) Capsicum species / varieties can be considered an invasive species both here in the States or in any other country? There was one post I read about competition of a certain Caribbean species with Florida wilds but I wasn't sure if this was an official invasive species classification. Being in a northern climate, I would have to assume that the chances of any Capsicum naturally overwintering "up here" is highly unlikely. Thoughts anyone?

Interesting question! Don't see it being a problem in Northern regions.

Growing a couple varieties that are common in the Andes Mountains and cold climates. Like I said, I have little concerns but it is interesting. I looked on the USDA's database and the only thing I could find was something called "pepperweed" but I don't believe it is a Capsicum.

I would think, in order for a plant to be invasive, it would have to either propogate with very small seeds that can be easily wind blow or travel by rooting and the plant would have to be very hardy. Peppers & tomatoes being nightshade wouldn't really be classified as invasive, though some small areas of the world small bird seed type peppers could be consumed by birds and the seeds dropped all over but whether those seeds germinate would be another story.

Perhaps, under some strange circumstance, some migratory birds could feast on a field of mexican tepin and their biological clock tells them its time to migrate back to canada, after feasting the birds flock and catch a low southern jetstream that assists them in their trek to canada. as the stream pushes these tepin full birds to their destination, they finally arrive and relieve themselves in the canadian spring time temperatures of may/june. under another strange circumstance, all weather conditions were just right for new arrival of thousands of tepin seeds and the dropped seeds germinate. now, the entire summer has to be just right for germination to take place and then survive to maturity, alas, a single cold fall would clean out the invasion and we would be back to native species that could survive.

I have not heard about any pepper that would be considered a invasive species here in the states. I have been asked if peppers could self seed especially around where I live because unknown to people I have beed seeding the area with peppers seeds mainly to seed if I could get a self seeding land race started, and and to give people a chance to have a free source of hot peppers. Other than chance I don't think that they would ever become a problem as they have never competed with other plants even in their home land.
George W. :hell:

"Invasive" hey?

:think:

I dunno but it sure is an awesome dream to think of peppers growing like weeds!!!!!

We've got bird peppers/tepins/whatever growing wild all over my workplace. wouldn't call them invasive though. I'm with BC on that definition. Plus as long as there is mesquite growing there, NOTHING else is invasive by comparison. :)

We've got bird peppers/tepins/whatever growing wild all over my workplace. wouldn't call them invasive though. I'm with BC on that definition. Plus as long as there is mesquite growing there, NOTHING else is invasive by comparison. :)
Well, I'm sure there is a big difference between 'invasive' and 'prolific'

I didn't think mesquite was an invasive either. Just VERY hardy and prolific.

Mesquite is just about as bad as it can get in a dry climate. I've only seen bamboo as being worse.

You simply can't kill mesquite without digging it up (and they have tap roots that are giant) or using massive amounts of really toxic poison (and even then, it only has about 80% efficacy). They'll grow back and root in from the tiniest shard.

Pastured cows make it spread even faster because they love the beans.

I believe it is considered a worldwide invasive species. It's from hell.

The blackberries are edible and delicious. When I moved here from Albuquerque I couldn't believe the local weed here was blackberries. My family and I were out picking along roadsides when they ripened and making jellies, etc. the first few years. Very tasty. But then I experienced them growing in the yard as a weed and trying to hike off trails in the thick brush around here. They get huge, thick, and have monster thorns. They spread like crazy, and are very difficult to remove. Many of the locals here HATE them.

The blackberries are edible and delicious. When I moved here from Albuquerque I couldn't believe the local weed here was blackberries. My family and I were out picking along roadsides when they ripened and making jellies, etc. the first few years. Very tasty. But then I experienced them growing in the yard as a weed and trying to hike off trails in the thick brush around here. They get huge, thick, and have monster thorns. They spread like crazy, and are very difficult to remove. Many of the locals here HATE them.

I can understand that, per my mesquite experiences. After you cut and dry the first, oh, two trees and use them for smoking meat, then you look out and wonder what to do with the other 848 trees on the property. lol.

Hey Ephus. I remember those days well. I used to live very close to you from '74-'79 as a proud Aggie. Wish I could get some free mesquite now for smoking. It is not easy to find here and very expensive. Sorry for straying off course Redtail, I also would like to see if anyone has seen invasive chiles.

I think the whole concept of invasive plants and animals is much more myth than fact.

The facts are that the more biological diversity an environment has, the stronger it becomes is.

Conversely, subtracting species from the mix, weakens the web of life in a said environment.

The main reason this fear of invasive species is being spread is to protect certain economic interests, many that imported their own 'invasive' species in the past, but now fear losing some of their financial cash cow gains, even if the competing new species is enriching that environment.

Case study after case study have shown that 'invasive species' eventually integrate into their new environment and actually strenghten it by supplying either food or shelter or other collateral benefits for other organisms.

dvg

The Russian Thistle (tumbleweed) is an invasive species brought to North America a while back. You cannot convince anyone in El Paso, TX that the tumbleweed is anything but the scourge of the earth. It has no redeeming value to mankind and will crowd out any other species that gets in its way. Hydrilla is an invasive water plant that has invaded some Washington lakes and, if left unchecked, results in the extinction of many species and loss of wildlife habitats. More importantly, hydrilla can make kayaking really sucky.

Back