• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Invasive?

The Russian Thistle (tumbleweed) is an invasive species brought to North America a while back. You cannot convince anyone in El Paso, TX that the tumbleweed is anything but the scourge of the earth. It has no redeeming value to mankind and will crowd out any other species that gets in its way. Hydrilla is an invasive water plant that has invaded some Washington lakes and, if left unchecked, results in the extinction of many species and loss of wildlife habitats. More importantly, hydrilla can make kayaking really sucky.

Yeah. Hydrilla is bad news. I can see that dvg is probably right in some occasions, but not all.

I can see that dvg is probably right in some occasions, but not all.

Haha, kinda like my football picks.;)

If any of you are interested in some further reading on this subject, David J. Theodoropoulos addresses Hydrilla in Florida, tumbleweeds and many more of the so-called "invasive species" in his book entitled 'Invasion Biology: Critique of a Pseudoscience'.

It is a hotly debated topic, but he makes some very compelling arguments.

dvg

This thread has definitely taken a cool spin. About the only major invasives we have here in the northeast are Ailanthus altissma 'Tree of Heaven', some weird non-native mustards and Norway maple (to name a few). My whole thought process for this thread originated from a couple articles I read. One was about some sort of wild pepper invading Florida and another was about the invasive nightmares in Australia. Some good stuff on here folks!!!

The Russian Thistle (tumbleweed) is an invasive species brought to North America a while back. You cannot convince anyone in El Paso, TX that the tumbleweed is anything but the scourge of the earth. It has no redeeming value to mankind and will crowd out any other species that gets in its way. Hydrilla is an invasive water plant that has invaded some Washington lakes and, if left unchecked, results in the extinction of many species and loss of wildlife habitats. More importantly, hydrilla can make kayaking really sucky.
Here's another non-pepper invasive species: kudzu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu#Invasive_species

I live in lower sw Minnesota. I have had tomatoes sprout up the following year and tomatillos but never a pepper. You might assume because of the same family if a tomato would grow so should a pepper. I don't know the exact science but if peppers were going to survive here I haven't seen it. Not that it can't happen but it hasn't and I have been gardening this land for 10 years.

I think the whole concept of invasive plants and animals is much more myth than fact.

The facts are that the more biological diversity an environment has, the stronger it becomes is.

Conversely, subtracting species from the mix, weakens the web of life in a said environment.

The main reason this fear of invasive species is being spread is to protect certain economic interests, many that imported their own 'invasive' species in the past, but now fear losing some of their financial cash cow gains, even if the competing new species is enriching that environment.

Case study after case study have shown that 'invasive species' eventually integrate into their new environment and actually strenghten it by supplying either food or shelter or other collateral benefits for other organisms.

dvg

christ I don't even know where to begin with this

Invasive species are real.
Invasive species don't promote biodiversity, they crowd out local species and overwhelm them.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/invasivetutorial/kudzu.htm
http://www.epa.gov/greatlakes/invasive/asiancarp/

that's just two examples from my state.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Hi Skydiver,

I understand that Invasion Biology is a very highly charged topic, and the debate into it goes a lot deeper than anything you or I have posted here in this thread.

I've taken the time to look at both sides of the debate and have made an opinion based on what I have read and observed.

Of course you are certainly entitled to your opinion as well.

dvg

Here's another non-pepper invasive species: kudzu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudzu#Invasive_species
OH GOD!!! Don't mention Kudzu! I've seen some of that crap in the woods here lately. I know its been a problem in southern states, but just ran into some not far from here. Dang climate change...

christ I don't even know where to begin with this

Invasive species are real.
Invasive species don't promote biodiversity, they crowd out local species and overwhelm them.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/invasivetutorial/kudzu.htm
http://www.epa.gov/greatlakes/invasive/asiancarp/

that's just two examples from my state.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
I tend to agree given my one example of kudzu, for plant life, and Chinese mollusks and carp in the Great Lakes, and the snakehead fish which is a menace.

It's funny (well, not really) but I had been a doubter of climate change for a long time. Just in my relatively short lifetime, I've personally witnessed noticeable changes with my environment. One small example of this is the presence of the infamous deer tick in the northern counties of Pennsylvania. When I was working as a timber buyer in those counties during the early days of my forestry career, we NEVER saw deer ticks in the woods. After speaking to friends still living in the area, they are overrun with them. I know it sounds strange but I never thought humans would be able to have an effect on a global scale. It was my belief that the Earth would always be able to absorb and heal the damages we cause. . .

A bit of perspective from an invasive species biology student. Invasive species do indeed exist. Cane toads, kudzu, snakehead fish, crayfish, bark beetles, duckweed, bullfrogs, Tamarisk all all invasive and all cause harm. Officially there are no invasive peppers, unofficially there are non-native peppers in Fl, Al, Ms, Tx, La, Az, and Ca. There is little to nothing to worry about with non-native nightshades though.

A bit of perspective from an invasive species biology student. Invasive species do indeed exist. Cane toads, kudzu, snakehead fish, crayfish, bark beetles, duckweed, bullfrogs, Tamarisk all all invasive and all cause harm. Officially there are no invasive peppers, unofficially there are non-native peppers in Fl, Al, Ms, Tx, La, Az, and Ca. There is little to nothing to worry about with non-native nightshades though.

Yup, invasive species are real. There are non-native peppers in the US? That's awesome. Do you know of any in south Florida? I visit my grandmother there when I get the chance :) . I wouldn't mind knowing about any others that have gone wild in the US either.

Hydrilla crowds lakes here so fast, it definatlly has a negative effect. I do use alli can to fertalize, Brazillian Pepper, wipes out everything around it... It is crowing out the Mangroves all over the coast line... How about the Cuban Tree frog, ate all our dam native tree frogs. the list goes on and on, I don't even want to get sstarted about the armored catfish... These are not diversity in the least... i didn't know ya had Hydrilla so far N.

Hydrilla crowds lakes here so fast, it definatlly has a negative effect. I do use alli can to fertalize, Brazillian Pepper, wipes out everything around it... It is crowing out the Mangroves all over the coast line... How about the Cuban Tree frog, ate all our dam native tree frogs. the list goes on and on, I don't even want to get sstarted about the armored catfish... These are not diversity in the least... i didn't know ya had Hydrilla so far N.

HELLO, Tilapia!!

Invasives are sure a pain in the ass, but in order for them to be so they need to spread easily, grow fast, and be difficult to eradicate, outcompeting local species. I don't see that happening with any peppers given how long it takes for them to mature. Most cultivated crops need to be pampered and babied to succeed, peppers aren't really an exception here.

The worst invasives/weeds are the ones that have no practical function... and if nothing local eats them, all the more reason to get rid of them. Over long time scales the biodiversity will stabilize, but not without considerable damage to local populations.

On the other hand, micro-managing the planet is kind of our thing, and you need to ask yourself if it's always appropriate.

Competition and invasive are two different animals. Competition can easily controlled and doesnt smother out its natural competition aka making the area more diverse if you will. Invasive is not easily controlled, will smother out everything in its path due to no natural...for a lack of better term prey.

Basically being competitive means the plant will grow one two one with the natural flora, will die off in about the same ways and so forth. It only becomes a problem for the most part when development overruns an area making the natural flora extinct or threatened otherwise they live happily together

Invasive tend to over grow the natural flora, smothering them and tend not to die off under the same climate in a region. They will completely wipe out everything in its path for miles on end. Additionally just to control them aka keep them at current levels is very difficult if not impossible. many wide ranging local ecosystems are currently under threat from both invasive flora and fauna and billions are spent every year just to try to keep them from spreading further and usually with little success.

As for your question, yes there are some in florida. most were introduced on purpose http://www.floridasnature.com/exotics.htm http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_invasive_species_in_the_Everglades http://www.fpl.com/environment/exotic/exotic_and_invasive_species_index.shtml

and so forth, google is your friend! As for most of the peppers that are grown for consumption, I really dont know of any that would be invasive but could be wrong.

Back