• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Invasive?

You can keep your Talipia... I would sooner super glue my scrotum to a cannon ball and shoot myself thru a plate glass window before i would eat those...

Me and you both. Although wild-caught tilapia are just fine to eat. Just like much of anything else you'd angle out of a fresh body of water (I mean fresh literally). But the junk they "farm" and sell is not only not tasty, it's also bad for you. The same applies to catfish. No such thing as wild-caught catfish on restaurant tables anymore, and that's a shame.

I'm very fortunate to live in an area of the country where there are still wild, native trout in our streams. I remember watching something on Talipia having to do with water purification for waste water from other fish farms. That just sounds like a yummy filet to me buddy!

I don't know the ages of all the people on this thread that are posting and it really doesn't make any difference I suppose, but the USDA is responsible for bringing in many varieties of plants that are fluorishing in south Florida...Melaleuca, Australian Pine, and Brazilian Pepper to name three and I am sure there are more...

but the biggest one mistake the USDA made was bringing in Kudzoo to help with erosion....it sure helped with erosion but takes over everything in its path and even burning doesn't kill it all...

then there are the walkin' catfish...

I'd say humans are the most notorious invasive species.

Invasive species basically just means a species that is really good at playing Darwin's game. Nature will always correct itself if given enough time and nothing is invasive to the point of ruining an entire ecosystem forever. Except maybe humans...

I have chillis that pop up naturally where I am along with tomatoes , capsicum , cucumbers. From my compost and gardens etc ... They are not out of control and don't think they could be , we have high rainfall also and that helps. Not invasive but handy I think

Back