• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

IRC ##spicy in Freenode, Hell Yes!

I’ve been hanging in IRC for years now, mainly in freenode channels like #anythingbutipod, #rockbox and a few other server networks & channels but never found a channel about hot peppers. The other night I ran into THP member PexPeppers in THP Chat and he told me about his channel ##spicy he set up on freenode, so I popped in to check it out :)

So what is irc you ask? Well to me it’s like ham radio in the fact that its “old school” but cooler IMO cause all you need is a laptop or pc, although no voice communication. The acronym stands for “Internet Relay Chat” but it’s much more IMO and can be fun. Synchronous chat in real time, file sharing, group communication, private messaging, providing others links and much more! IRC has some good history and if you wana read up, you can google or look here

Since PexPeppers set up a site that does all the work for you HERE you don’t need a client (software) if you want to check out the ##spicy channel. That said, if you get into IRC and someday want to take it to the next level I recommend a good client, while I've used a few, I like Mirc best.

So what inspired this thread? I was chatting with PexPeppers in IRC this morning and we were showing each other pepper pictures like this. I said to him this channel needs some additional blood and thought a thread here would be in order. Hope to see some of you there one of these days but be for warned these channels are not always hopping (active) so if you pop in, ask if anyone is around before you leave :)

Edit: FYI I have a lot of running around town so I'm not there right now but normally I'm on IRC between 9:00 AM EST to around 3:00PM EST. That said, I'll be back in after lunch today estimated 1:00PM EST, hope to see some of you guys there :)

And i am always there. Here is the link for the lazy

http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick=1&channels=%23%23spicy&uio=d4

I guess I’m not surprised by the lack of interest as in today’s world most want it quick and easy like a lot of the instant chat stuff. Although there are some very intelligent folks that hang on various channels in irc and if you find the right channels, the learning is unbelievable. Adding to that fact, I personally have made friends around the world, it's very international and IMO, that's cool!

There are channels that discuss PC support, PC building like this thread discusses, audio forums, headphones, programing, photography, website building, hacking, etc, etc, etc… and now I found one about peppers, hehe! If any of you are interested and need some help, feel free to PM me for any questions, links, commands, clients, etc. Hope to see some of the members here pop by :)

Here's just a snip of some chat with no color ...

[06:33] <@needypoo> waffles
12[06:34] <WalkGood> sounds tasty
12[06:34] <WalkGood> soon back, need to drop her off now
[06:34] <@needypoo> alrighty!
12[06:34] <WalkGood> i get to stay home and play mr. mom
[06:34] <@needypoo> heh
12[07:01] <WalkGood> back
[07:05] <@needypoo> :)
12[07:05] <WalkGood> seems my other channels been slow cause of holidays, soon peeps come back and irc will rule :)
12[07:06] <WalkGood> was thinking yesterday, we should start a irc thread in thp
[07:14] <@needypoo> damn
[07:14] <@needypoo> yea we should
12[07:14] <WalkGood> would be nice to have a few peeps here a couple of times a week chat'in peppers
12[07:16] <WalkGood> you want me to start one?
12[07:17] <WalkGood> i'm thinking in the lounge, but if we do this we have to post to it and keep it up in site ... so others see it and get curious
12[07:17] <WalkGood> i bet half dem folks at thp don't even know irc
12[07:17] * WalkGood is working on one now

etc. ... ... ...
12[07:17] <WalkGood> hehe
[07:23] <@needypoo> yeah really
[07:24] <@needypoo> yes plz do
12[07:24] <WalkGood> kool
12[07:24] <WalkGood> give me that link for the noobs again, lol
[07:24] <@needypoo> one sec
[07:24] <@needypoo> http://webchat.freen...=##spicy&uio=d4
[07:24] <+kensia> [Link Info] title: freenode Web IRC (qwebirc)
12[07:24] <WalkGood> oh and i already started on writing something, i'll let you know before i post so you can keep it up :)
[07:27] <@needypoo> kickass
12[07:28] <WalkGood> i workin on one, give me 14.5 mins
12[07:28] * WalkGood *rolls eyes*
[07:28] <@needypoo> heh
12[07:28] <WalkGood> lol
12[07:28] <WalkGood> i'll probably need to ask you some other questions soon or better you can post them into the thread :)
12[07:28] <WalkGood> brb, coffee

good grief is IRC still around ? I think I have some of the 1st 1/2 doz versions of it on some floppy disks :P . IRC is more or less the grand-daddy of text chat known today (and file swapping) and I'm glad to see it still around being useful.
Hope your ##spicy chat works out !

OhioHeat

good grief is IRC still around ? I think I have some of the 1st 1/2 doz versions of it on some floppy disks :P . IRC is more or less the grand-daddy of text chat known today (and file swapping) and I'm glad to see it still around being useful.

OhioHeat

thanks

OhioHeat
Yes and there's some great info about irc here. That said the channel is on the freenode network and you can find info about freenode here. As you said you have some old versions, IMHO Mirc is the best client but there are firefox plug-ins and all kinds of software clients today, you can check them out here, wiki has a nice compare chart.

Man I wasted huge chunks of time Sop'ing a large IRC channel back before the big Dalnet meltdown.   I wonder if the harddrive from my old system stills has all my scripts. 

Ashen said:
Man I wasted huge chunks of time Sop'ing a large IRC channel back before the big Dalnet meltdown.   I wonder if the harddrive from my old system stills has all my scripts. 
I did the same across many networks using and writing TCL for bots and what not along with takeover scripts :) 

Back