• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Iron Chef is Cooking with Chili's

Sorry gang for not getting here sooner. It started at 8:00 central time.

Hottest one I seen was an orange hab. They were cooking with lobster, fresh tuna ribs, shrimp, and an entire loin of kobe beef. Man oh man as they were slicing medallions off of it my stomach started growling.

dear lord what is an iron chef????????

Please don't tell me this is that silly show where Booby Flay is hailed as some genius and that hack
(forget his name) narrates...... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Should be called the Bobby Flay show as he is the only one picked!
We should start some sort of campaign for them to do Chiles as the secret ingredient.I am forced to watch this as my wife loves it and its now Baseball season.An unfortunate tradeoff,but it could be worse!

thehotpepper.com said:
Please don't tell me this is that silly show where Booby Flay is hailed as some genius and that hack
(forget his name) narrates...... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

If you're calling Alton Brown a hack, I'm afraid I must challenge you to a duel.

Pistols at dawn.

AB is one of the few reasons to even watch Food Network any more, and even Tony Bourdain gives him props.

Skydiver said:
If you're calling Alton Brown a hack, I'm afraid I must challenge you to a duel.

Pistols at dawn.

AB is one of the few reasons to even watch Food Network any more, and even Tony Bourdain gives him props.
I think most people's hatred of Alton Brown is he's not a chef by trade.

The same could not be said for Bobby Flay though, who i have my own issues with. He claims to use chiles in his dishes and makes things spicy, but i've been to Bobby's Burger Palace or wtf-ever it's called and the burgers had ZEEEEEEROOO heat. That and i find him annoying.

Japanese Iron Chef has been out of production for years, this has to be Iron Chef America.

It was Iron Chef America. The iron chef the guy chose to battle was Morymoto, one of the Japanese dudes from the original show I believe.

The new guy won by one point. Had some serious chow and no sign of Booby Flay.

fineexampl said:
I think most people's hatred of Alton Brown is he's not a chef by trade.

The same could not be said for Bobby Flay though, who i have my own issues with. He claims to use chiles in his dishes and makes things spicy, but i've been to Bobby's Burger Palace or wtf-ever it's called and the burgers had ZEEEEEEROOO heat. That and i find him annoying.

Japanese Iron Chef has been out of production for years, this has to be Iron Chef America.

Heh, first thing I did when I got into demonoid was to find a torrent for the entire Japanese version of Iron Chef.
Good stuff.
As to AB, I love him almost as much as I loved The Frugal Gourmet. Now, I don't know if what Jeff Smith was accused of was true or not, but both him and AB are great teachers.

I can't stand much stuff on Food Network these days aside from AB and Barefoot Contessa. Seems every other show is some shitty cake making reality tv load of crap.

Somehow I can't see that Guy Fieri douchenozzle laying in to a roasted sheep's head, and I don't even want to start on Flay.

Mrs. Blues and I have been to Bobby Flay's and Emeril's joints here in Las Vegas.

Bobby's joint...lame service, lukewarm entree, bland-o-rama..FAIL!

Emerils joint...tip top service, elegant atmosphere, excellent wine...and the food....savor every morsel. Fantastic! WIN!

Alton Brown is fun for the entertainment factor. He's a media personality that is more or less an emcee for his shows. The guy really doesn't know shit about cooking.

I'd love to see a show that the main focus was about bringing the heat but alas....

Cheers, TB.

texas blues said:
Mrs. Blues and I have been to Bobby Flay's and Emeril's joints here in Las Vegas.

Bobby's joint...lame service, lukewarm entree, bland-o-rama..FAIL!

Emerils joint...tip top service, elegant atmosphere, excellent wine...and the food....savor every morsel. Fantastic! WIN!

Alton Brown is fun for the entertainment factor. He's a media personality that is more or less an emcee for his shows. The guy really doesn't know shit about cooking.

I'd love to see a show that the main focus was about bringing the heat but alas....

Cheers, TB.

Pistols at dawn.

He's not cooking over the top crap, he's giving basic info on HOW to cook and how to think about the ingredients and the preparation and things like that.

Sure, there's a lot of campy stuff, but if you watch deeper than that, there's a helluva lot of good, basic information he's giving. Good Eats is a phenomenal show.

But yeah, mad props to Emeril, but back in his Essence of Emeril days. Another outstanding show. Less bammage, more cooking.

Check this out..probably not 100% accurate but..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alton_Brown

Going to cooking school and writing about food and having a food show amounts to a big fat ZERO when it comes down to actually cooking. Having spent 28 years in the restaurant biz and also being a former professional chef, I cringe at the amatuer approach he spins. Most of the technique he employs have no use in a working kitchen. He's entirely too anal to be practical. Dude needs 20 different knives for what I can do with one 8" Wustoff. You don't think he actually put together the food and recipe's on his show do you? He's got a prep crew that does that. The cat does have alot of charm and charisma with a healthy dose of kitchiness but there is nothing about Alton Brown that is the real deal when it comes to cooking.

Cheers, TB.

I enjoy AB because I'm a very science-minded guy. I don't follow the man's recipes, but I do enjoy some of his history lessons and his molecular approach to things like emulsions. He's pure entertainment, but I don't think he's neccesarily practical or inventive.

TB, I do have to agree with you on the knife bit. For a guy who shuns "Unitaskers" AB's kitchen is full of more useless gadgets and shit than many of the other guys and gals on the FN.

Give me that Giada De Lorentes girl, or whatever the hell her name is... You know, that hottie on Everyday Italian? Yeah, I don't care if she's cooking deep fried dog balls, I just like to watch her do what she do, Nam sayin?

He annoys me. Weird acting and sound effects, and he says "uh" 50 times per show. "Next we take uh, a little uh..."
Now that I mentioned it it will bother you and you won't be able to watch it... go see :lol:

thehotpepper.com said:
He annoys me. Weird acting and sound effects, and he says "uh" 50 times per show. "Next we take uh, a little uh..."
Now that I mentioned it it will bother you and you won't be able to watch it... go see :lol:

Oh yeah? Think you got the drop on me? Well then, check this out:

You are now aware that you can see your nose in your field of vision. It's there. Pointing at your monitor.

HAHAHAHA VENGEANCE IS MINE SAITH THE BALDING FAT GUY!!!!!

scoville said:
Should be called the Bobby Flay show as he is the only one picked!
We should start some sort of campaign for them to do Chiles as the secret ingredient.I am forced to watch this as my wife loves it and its now Baseball season.An unfortunate tradeoff,but it could be worse!

Scoville I started this thread to let folks know the secret ingredient was chili's.

patrick said:
Scoville I started this thread to let folks know the secret ingredient was chili's.
Hahaha. See what a good derailing will do. My fault! THP FAIL!
Oh wait, was :drunk:, so no fail!

Sorry Patrick,my slow!I'll have to notify the wife to let me know when it's on again.Hottest pepper was an Orange Hab?Oh well,baby steps I guess.
It's a good thing people are getting the word on peppers.To bad they didn't get some pods from folks on this forum!

Back