• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is it too late to plant?

I was just wondering, I just received some reaper seeds and from seed to pepper, will I have enough time before the cold hits to plant these outside? I live in nj, currently I have a couple mature plants that are almost ready to be planted outside which I'm not worried about, just wanted to know if I should save these reaper seed if they won't have enough time to get anything out of them.

If they won't have enough time, is it still worth it to plant them outside? Is there a way I could transplant them from out of the ground back into a pot so I could save them for next year?

I like to say it's never a bad time to start pepper seeds because they're perennials :)  I started some Manzanos last October and they're doing great now.

Carolina Reaper seem to be extremely late season, but I think it is worth a shot.  I am in KY.  Moving things from the grow room to a tiny heated green house and starting new seeds.  Not sure how well they will do, but like I said it is worth the shot.

What a coincidence, I have just very recently put some Reaper seeds in a box in the hope of germinating them for this coming season. They will be a bit late to the party, but worth a shot indeed if push comes to shove I can always keep them indoors until next season.

Sammy1019 said:
I was just wondering, I just received some reaper seeds and from seed to pepper, will I have enough time before the cold hits to plant these outside? I live in nj, currently I have a couple mature plants that are almost ready to be planted outside which I'm not worried about, just wanted to know if I should save these reaper seed if they won't have enough time to get anything out of them.

If they won't have enough time, is it still worth it to plant them outside? Is there a way I could transplant them from out of the ground back into a pot so I could save them for next year?

You live close to Cross Country Nursery? Just go by and pick up a few plants for next to nothing. They open to the public April 9th. Couple hundred varieties!
http://www.chileplants.com/aboutus.aspx?section=3

Chewi said:
You live close to Cross Country Nursery? Just go by and pick up a few plants for next to nothing. They open to the public April 9th. Couple hundred varieties!
http://www.chileplants.com/aboutus.aspx?section=3
Would probably be worth the trip even if it were a few hours drive away considering the plants are already started ;)

Heck, If I lived in the area, I'd go just to check the place out and I'm certain that I would invariably end up driving home with more plants...lol

Back