• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is my bhut jolokia big enough to top?

I've topped off three of my plants ( did it in late may ) and they are by far "bushier" Than the others I have growing natural . If my season was as long as yours ( mine ends in October ) I would've topped the others also ( other 8 I received in late June ) . If there getting plenty of sun , You'll be suprised at just how quick the new growth comes in .

Just for conversations sake, because I'm curious, if this was the plan would it not have been smarter to top much much earlier so the plant starts splitting earlier as you want it to rather than wasting all that growth? Like I read you can top as early as the third set of true leaves, no?

AaronRiot said:
Just for conversations sake, because I'm curious, if this was the plan would it not have been smarter to top much much earlier so the plant starts splitting earlier as you want it to rather than wasting all that growth? Like I read you can top as early as the third set of true leaves, no?

Yes and no.  If you top that early you seriously stunt the plant.  This will slow it down a bit but not terribly noticeable.  Also, doing it this way gets you at least 2 other good sized branches you can try to root and get 2 more plants from.  Ideally you would use new growth but it is possible.  

Back