• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Is the SHU rating potential governed by growing location?

Hi all,

A strange question, but one, nonetheless:

I grow my chilies in a location less than optimal for growing.  I am wondering if there is an "SHU plateau" for my location.
Say I grow a chili that has a 1 million SHU rating.  Due to my location, my pods are only 750,000.  Now, if I grow a chili with a 1.4 million SHU rating.  Can that chili be hotter than 750,000 SHU, assuming all factors being equal?
I know that the term "rating" is a tough definition to nail down.  But, for my question, let's just assume the definition is accepted by all involved.

Thanks, in advance, for replying!

Yes that would be true depending on the chilis. Because if I have a habanero and moruga my moruga will be hotter if grown in the same environment. but it also depends on fertilizers, watering, light, temp outside etc

I do believe the answer to that question would be "Yes". The concentration of Capsaicin has been breed in the different varieties to reach, more or less, those levels. Yes, depending on the conditions in which they are grown the levels can vary up or down, but the plants aren't going to react in the short term to their location and adapt a "cutoff" concentration level within their pods. :)

I agree with Nightshade, or change your environment, by growing in a GH or indoors and give them the environment the need to get hotter.

Yup you're right! I would say to get a greenhouse if you have a problem growing extremely hot peppers. Even just being able to start your peppers a bit earlier in the greenhouse helps out a ton as well.

FWIW - Non scientific, undocumented, empirical, subjective observations.
Growing various species: 2012 vs 2013 in the same locations, buckets and fabric bags, Piedmont of North Carolina.

Summer of 2012: brutally hot, lack of rain required frequent watering, (wilting on many days) = High Stress on plants!
Summer of 2013: much more normal temperatures, normal precipitation = higher yields, heavier foliage.

Personal judgments of 'heat' and taste?  Stress = higher SHU.  Better growing conditions = more chilis

My 2yr.Butch T is still producing pods of 'nuclear heat' in my garage!  I have a plant that is a 'weapon of mass destruction'.
SHU More than I can handle either year.  :fire:  

yes, yes.. the pepper heat level depends on a lot of factors, soil , light , water, etc for enviromental factors, but so does the peppers genetics..  the combination of both will get you the best result.

This is why Australia holds the record for hottest pepper and I believe they're in queensland which has a mild winter and a hot summer.

Sarge said:
This is why Australia holds the record for hottest pepper and I believe they're in queensland which has a mild winter and a hot summer.
if I could my plants to produce a few right before the huge heat wave I guarantee I could get the record

Nightshade said:
if I could my plants to produce a few right before the huge heat wave I guarantee I could get the record
Same. I found that extreme cold does wonders as well. Here in Connecticut we have both ridiculous heat and cold.
@sarge. Australia doesn't have the record for worlds hottest pepper. AFAIK that would be the H strain reaper in Carolina(tested anyway)

Butch T highest heat was 1,463,000(approx) on max, just over a million average. The basic reaper is 1.474 million average, with the H strain being 2.3 million average. Quite a difference there. And yeah, Nightshade is right, the Guinness hasn't been updated in quite some time due to the cost.

Crazy stuff. 10g for the record? Fuck that. Are the nee Carolina reapers available in the h strain?

Doesn't look like the 10K applies to us common folk.  Only if you want a Guinness adjudicator to fly out to your location, etc, etc...  Just send me the beer, instead.

SanPatricio said:
FWIW - Non scientific, undocumented, empirical, subjective observations.
Growing various species: 2012 vs 2013 in the same locations, buckets and fabric bags, Piedmont of North Carolina.

Summer of 2012: brutally hot, lack of rain required frequent watering, (wilting on many days) = High Stress on plants!
Summer of 2013: much more normal temperatures, normal precipitation = higher yields, heavier foliage.

Personal judgments of 'heat' and taste?  Stress = higher SHU.  Better growing conditions = more chilis

My 2yr.Butch T is still producing pods of 'nuclear heat' in my garage!  I have a plant that is a 'weapon of mass destruction'.
SHU More than I can handle either year.  :fire:  
I agree with SanPatricio

LawrenceJ2007 said:
Not to the public I don't think? That's the HP22H Death Strain.
correction
To the best of my knowledge and rumors through the grape vine, that would be the (hp56) death strain and is available for cancer research only, at this time.
The only released reapers is the hp22b A strain.
There are subsequent strains B - H. And rumor has it in addition to the these, and also not released,  an I and J strain. Not much if anything published about any of the non released  strains.

I would  love to get my hands on a few seed from the H strain!!!

Back