• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this article correct?

I'm performing some internet research on the Moruga Scorpion and came across this article:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/nationnow/2012/02/trinidad-moruga-scorpion-worlds-hottest-chili-pepper.html

The article states that "... The Pepper, also known as Brain strain..."

Can somebody confirm my suspicions that this is not factually correct.

This has been a topic of argument for some time, IIRC there are a couple of quite long threads discussing this.
Some say the Trinidad Scorpion Moroga Blend and the 7 Pot Brain Strain are the same pepper with different names, some say the are 2 different peppers.

The long and the short of it is that it depends on who you listen to. if i remember right, Sarah from Cardi gave out some seeds (7pot SR) to a few different people. One person says he "crossed" it with another variety to get the brain strain. Other people say they are the exact same pepper.

I don't have any first hand knowledge of the original circumstances, but from the perspective of one whose grown both, I don't see a lot of difference. Also, the guy that supposedly crossed the peppers (who is a member of the forum) was not particularly convincing to me. Perhaps he's right, perhaps not. All I know is both peppers are close, and that both were unstable land race varieties that have been grown out for long enough that they are likely stable, and likely genetically different even if they were originally from the same pod.

Also, the guy that supposedly crossed the peppers (who is a member of the forum) was not particularly convincing to me. Perhaps he's right, perhaps not.

Cappy comes off like that. Sometimes its hard to understand what he is saying or where he is going with what he is saying. I also have no doubt that he may show up here to defend his honor.

There is also the Morgua blend floating around in there and that is what I think the blog post is about, the plain Moruga or Morouga is a completely different pepper.

Having grown both "original" strains I claim they are different peppers. Different heat levels and slightly different tastes. Do yourself a favor and grow them both out and compare them. Get the seeds straight from Cappy though because over the last few years people have been capitalizing on the "Brain Strain" craze and "The World's Hottest MORUGA" whatever and I am sure people label their seeds and change their names to whatever they want to get a little bit more money.

Hell, started reading some of the comments and it seems our very own Patrick tried to set them straight very early in there.

I do have Brain Strain seeds, but not from Cappy himself. Is Cappy the guy from Michigan that I just bought powder from?

Cappy comes off like that. Sometimes its hard to understand what he is saying or where he is going with what he is saying. I also have no doubt that he may show up here to defend his honor.

There is also the Morgua blend floating around in there and that is what I think the blog post is about, the plain Moruga or Morouga is a completely different pepper.

Having grown both "original" strains I claim they are different peppers. Different heat levels and slightly different tastes. Do yourself a favor and grow them both out and compare them. Get the seeds straight from Cappy though because over the last few years people have been capitalizing on the "Brain Strain" craze and "The World's Hottest MORUGA" whatever and I am sure people label their seeds and change their names to whatever they want to get a little bit more money.

Hell, started reading some of the comments and it seems our very own Patrick tried to set them straight very early in there.

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut every now and then.

The Brain Strain is a genetic mutation of 7 Pot SR, according to Cappy. He said out of several plants from the same seeds, only one had certain characteristics, and from that one plant came the Brain Strain. He accused Jim Duffy of actually testing Brain Strains, and calling them TS Moruga to claim credit.

I don't know what is true and what is not, but that's the story I recall.

Cappy hasn't been on here in quite a while. Like Musky said, he had some words to say about that whole TS-Moruga ordeal...I think his THP name was Pepper Ridge Farm....

We lost a pretty good guy when PRF decided he'd had enough. We all have our little traits that make us unique. He was generous with the seeds and I'm pretty sure it was his plant that is the mother of all the brain strains now being grown. He kept that girl going for at least four years that I'm aware of.

If they are similar, I will just use the name brain strain cuz its so much easier

No don't do that. Call it what the place where you got the seeds calls it. This attitude is why there's so much uncertainty now. How hard is it to type BS or TSM?

When I was growing up, the Habanero was the worlds hottest pepper. But, that was long ago, in simpler times. Now we have Ghosts, and Brains, and Machetes, and all manner of super-hots. Not that I am complaining by any means... I love the variety. ;) Though, the flame wars on youtube are kind of annoying. If someone has a video from 5 years ago where they mention the 'Ghost Pepper' as the world's hottest pepper, you will see hundreds of recent comments calling them idiots because it isn't the hottest pepper... If only they would check the 'posted on' dates... /* End Rant */ :D

They're different, however I've grown phenotypes of the TS Morouga Blend that look very similar to the Brain Strain so I can understand the confusion. Of course, if you don't find any difference and mix up the seed, then that's not going to help you tell them apart.

If you're patient and grow enough plants of each you'll see that they're different, the pods look different and they taste different.

Find a grower who finds them to be different and try growing out seed from that person.

I am growing both this year and will provide plenty of pictures and detail on what I find. My list may have duplicates but I used the name that came from the person that provided the seed.

Yes, but if you then get some TS Morouga Blend from someone who's mixed the seed with the Brain Strain, you might come to the conclusion they're the same when they're not... even if you get a true Brain Strain...

Yes, but if you then get some TS Morouga Blend from someone who's mixed the seed with the Brain Strain, you might come to the conclusion they're the same when they're not... even if you get a true Brain Strain...

Agreed. I am sure there are some original tsmb hanging around here somewhere.

Back