• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this pepper dying?

Hello,

I've been reading for ages, but it's the first time I post.

I have this pepper and I am curious what went wrong. I see no growth at the base for a month, it just keeps getting higher and higher. Also, the stem is almost double the width towards the top.

Any ideas?

You can see here how high it is... more than 1 meter.
20110405_001%20(Medium).jpg

Some leaves don't look so healthy.
20110405_002%20(Medium).jpg

Here, you can see what I mean about the stem.
20110405_003%20(Medium).jpg

It looks fine dude. The leaves are nice and green at the top. the only thing I can suggest is pinching off the growing tip to induce "bushing". Or take a gamble, cut the stem at point of weakness and keep it watered and fed and hope it reshoots. I know this kind of thing works on roses etc. Not sure how your pepper plant will fair.

:welcome: to the THP

its legging... but looks ok. it need more sun!!
i would recomend to repot it and bury it deeper. :)
it need to be also hardened...which mean more sun to it..

btw. your plant is not drying!!

Fill that pot the rest of the way to the top with soil, maybe even mound the soil a little. Will help get past some of the thin stem and won't hurt it. IMO it will benefit from it.

What is the light source, sun or lights? Plants grow tall to get more light. If you have it inside near a window maybe you could raise it up to get more light on the lower leaves. If your weather is warm enough get it some more outside sun, a little bit at a time so it can get used to it.

edit: Chilli plants love a bigger pot too! Maybe pot it up and bury the stem a bit.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm gonna move it in a much bigger pot and probably put it outside as we're starting to get some nice weather!

Keep the good sun on it and away from the wind. Looks pretty healty overall though. Keep it fed and I think it'll be good to go. :cool:

What type of pepper is that?

I disagree with "keep it away from the wind"...wind is what makes the plants strong...exercising the stems stretches and compresses the cell wall structure thus thickening the cell walls and making the plant stronger...think about standing on one leg in the wind for a week or so...that leg you stand on will be stronger than the other leg...

It looks to me like it is on some sort of feeding regimen that includes some sort of growth stimulator that increases nodal distance (that's where the legginess comes from among other things)...

but...if the light from the window is all it is getting, it is lacking light as others have already said...

if you want a tall plant, that is cool but if you want more pods, the plant needs to bush...red light makes the plant bush, blue light stretches the distance between nodes...

Back